U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your Main Source of Receiving News?
Newspaper 6 7.79%
Watch tv 12 15.58%
Read news on the internet 53 68.83%
Watch videos on the internet 0 0%
Listen to the radio 2 2.60%
Not interested in the news 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 561,071 times

Advertisements

Drudgereport, Democracynow, Newsbytes, Climatedepot, Weather.gov and their many links are the main first thing in the morning sources for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM

32,180 posts, read 39,387,845 times
I wish I'd been able to list more than one. I listed TV. My second choice would have been newspaper.

I understand now, after reading where many get their news from, why so many threads seem to be a contest over who can bring the most stupid to them.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I prefer to read it on the internet, because, if it's interesting or relevant to me, I can quickly search for other sources and more information.
This^^^ and I can also pick and choose what stories I feel are worth reading, skipping those that are of no interest to me.

For example I would likely read a story that took place at a business I frequent but pass on the story about a man suing a neighbor for cutting down his tree.

If all TV news was actually NEWS I might be inclined to watch but at this point I'd much rather stick to the internet.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,233,580 times
I didn't vote. I stopped watching the news on television the day it was reported that Susan Smith not only lied about being carjacked in the middle of the road but actually allowed her vehicle to go into the water with her young children strapped inside. That was my "line in the sand" and I just couldn't endure the horror of the news any longer. I reasoned that I would hear anything *major* (ie. Martians land on Earth, zombie attack, etc.) from people at work or friends. Now, I'm under medical care so I spend more time on the internet. I try to avoid the horror stories as much as possible but it's harder with how quickly news travels and "Alerts" on so many web pages.

I'm not sure if we have more crime, craziness and chaos now or if we just know about it because of world wide web. Either way, it's troubling.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM

670 posts, read 764,979 times
Default Source of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I didn't vote. I stopped watching the news on television the day it was reported that Susan Smith not only lied about being carjacked in the middle of the road but actually allowed her vehicle to go into the water with her young children strapped inside. That was my "line in the sand" and I just couldn't endure the horror of the news any longer. I reasoned that I would hear anything *major* (ie. Martians land on Earth, zombie attack, etc.) from people at work or friends. Now, I'm under medical care so I spend more time on the internet. I try to avoid the horror stories as much as possible but it's harder with how quickly news travels and "Alerts" on so many web pages.

I'm not sure if we have more crime, craziness and chaos now or if we just know about it because of world wide web. Either way, it's troubling.
Oh, mjd07, I so know what you are saying and feeling. There have been times that I have just had to turn off the news or flip channels because of the horror involved in the news.

I really feel that we need a "Good News Network" that discusses the good things that people do and the happy news in the world. I know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I do watch the news, but occasionally, I just have to turn it off.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,614,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I like Google News because I can see the same story as presented by different news sources. Amazing how differently the same event can be portrayed.
Yup, this is what I use as well. Though I still like to get the newspaper on Sunday or anytime a major event happens.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM

320 posts, read 386,350 times
Include me with those people who get most of their news through digital media. I stopped watching television news, including cable news, some time during the Bush administration (except for election night coverage--but next time it's going to be C-SPAN). We have subscriptions to the NYT and the WP; but I routinely check digital versions of papers that allow a certain number of free articles per month. In a given week, I read parts of the LA Times, Globe and Mail, Seattle Times, the Guardian, and so on.

I also enjoy the more in-depth articles offered on Longform, and various other magazines. We also have a few subscriptions to hard copy journals, like The Economist.

I really prefer outlets that include a good deal of world news, versus a U.S.-centric focus.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,349,968 times
I read the news on the Internet. I have 3 different websites that I usually visit daily. However, I read the local news online and in the paper format.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM

50 posts, read 56,395 times
Thumbs up Google News/various sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I like Google News because I can see the same story as presented by different news sources. Amazing how differently the same event can be portrayed.
Yes I like this too it is the only way to discern what is truly happening

Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM

20,353 posts, read 20,516,788 times
town crier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or