U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your Main Source of Receiving News?
Newspaper 6 7.79%
Watch tv 12 15.58%
Read news on the internet 53 68.83%
Watch videos on the internet 0 0%
Listen to the radio 2 2.60%
Not interested in the news 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM

356 posts, read 1,016,626 times

Advertisements

I despise the news and have not watched it since 9/11.

Big news always makes its way to facebook so I cant avoid it anymore... if its something that peaks my interest I will research it on the internet.

You may call me ignorant but I cant handle the news, i get emotional and cant sleep. .. there is always something involving children that I just can not stomach. plus I prefer to choose what I am exposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM

29,819 posts, read 26,904,843 times
I didn’t vote because I use multiple different sources of information and news instead of any “just” one. It seems like no matter which source you use there is a chance for bias and misinformation, thus two or more different suppliers help keep the news valid and honest. Some of the best investigative reporting can be found in popular magazines these days. They provide an honest comprehensive investigative stories not the typical style of tv or radio news outlets. The credibility one source of news isn’t always what you need or should have these days.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 AM

30,505 posts, read 31,439,673 times
I have 2 sources: TV news as well as the internet.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM

60 posts, read 62,333 times
Nothing on the news matters to me; it's all contrived to sway to a point of view. The internet further Balkanizes the "news" to the extent wrong information gets reinforced. Not far removed from brain washing.
The "news" is just a distraction and entertainment...how many car chases does one need to watch? How many deaths from a plane crash is enough to entice a viewer?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM

3,693 posts, read 3,294,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
There are so many ways to receive our news these days. What is your favorite way?
Wow. I did not vote because I really don't know which is my main source of news.

I get news from the internet, the radio, and cable news on TV. I also read the paper a little at work but it's usually not my local newspaper.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM

670 posts, read 768,412 times
Default Source of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
I despise the news and have not watched it since 9/11.

Big news always makes its way to facebook so I cant avoid it anymore... if its something that peaks my interest I will research it on the internet.

You may call me ignorant but I cant handle the news, i get emotional and cant sleep. .. there is always something involving children that I just can not stomach. plus I prefer to choose what I am exposed to.
Belladee, there was another poster who answered the way you did also. I know exactly what you are saying. There are times when I just have to turn off the news as I can't handle what they are discussing (particularly when it is about children or pets). I really want to see a "Good News" network or website. Why do we have to always hear the bad and negative things that happen in the world? A lot of good goes on also.

I like the internet as I can pick and choose what I want to read. Best wishes.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM

788 posts, read 614,739 times
Good news, everyone! Good News Network

I primarily use the internet, though I also listen to NPR in the car. Occasionally I'll read one of the local papers. I don't own a TV, so no TV news for me these days.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,240,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Oh, mjd07, I so know what you are saying and feeling. There have been times that I have just had to turn off the news or flip channels because of the horror involved in the news.

I really feel that we need a "Good News Network" that discusses the good things that people do and the happy news in the world. I know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I do watch the news, but occasionally, I just have to turn it off.
There was a program on hosted by John Bradshaw. The tagline was "the power of positive television." He would have guests on who had accomplished positive things (ie. turning a neighborhood around through neighborhood watch programs, saved someone's life from a fire, etc.). It was quickly canceled.

I was talking to a friend who is a psychologist about this because it confused me why someone like Jerry Springer or Maury could be on for decades, but a show like Bradshaw's was canceled. She explained that we compare ourselves to people and feel better when they are doing worse than we are. The opposite is also true. When we see heroes and ordinary people accomplishing extraordinary fears, we feel like we aren't doing enough for society and feel worse about ourselves.

P.S. I looked him up and it looks like he is still focused on positive media.

John Bradshaw

Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Default News

Mjd07, very interesting. I suppose that must be true.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Default News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Good news, everyone! Good News Network

I primarily use the internet, though I also listen to NPR in the car. Occasionally I'll read one of the local papers. I don't own a TV, so no TV news for me these days.
Thanks for posting this! I'll have to explore it some more...looks interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or