U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:20 PM

24,479 posts, read 28,822,810 times

Advertisements

i talked to some in the know and found out that

it is common to keep treated water out in the open. it is chlorinated and that should kill anything that get into it.

the water was likely dumped for pr reasons, not health reasons

water like this gets dumped all the time. it will just get retreated and used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM

2,624 posts, read 4,126,290 times
Accused Portland Teen:

The teen sounds like a jerk, but the best response is from the Portland Water Bureau administrator is priceless:
Quote:
"When you see the video, he's leaning right up because he has to get his little wee wee right up to the iron bars,"

Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,434,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Imbeciles.

Who drinks tap water any more?
Everybody with brains and don't like to pay a buck for something that cost hardly nothing and gets straight to your house.
The bottling company has less rules and regulations, they could bottle cow pie for all they care.....

Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,408,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
This ^
The idiots took video or pictures of themselves doing this. Although weirdly enough the first idiot peed in the reservoir and THEN his friends went for a swim.
There is something wonderfully karmic about this idiotic "selfie" world we live in. These kids have NO IDEA how much they incriminate themselves with these pics!! Gotta laugh...

Quote:
Oh and from the Washington Post -
"Portland’s water system delivers drinking water to about 935,000 people. There are five uncovered drinking water reservoirs in Portland, three of them at Mount Tabor Park. This particular reservoir is going to be disconnected at the end of 2015 due to an Environmental Protection Agency rule saying that drinking water had to be kept in covered reservoirs. All of Portland’s uncovered reservoirs will be discontinued by the end of 2020."

I would go for beer and wine until 2020 if I lived in Portland.
^^^
AMEN. Give me a Kiltlifter any day over a glass of water in a restaurant or on a plane. I don't buy bottled, but I DO use a faucet filter in the kitchen and a Brita filter when I travel.

And speaking of which, how in the hell are they directly delivering this reservoir water right to homes without any OTHER filters in place in the pipes? And they admit they have birds and other animals frolicking and who knows what else in that water? Portland people must be a little miffed this morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yeah, but it's Portland. They have lots of water, and if not, all they have to do is wait a bit. The water in the reservoir had already been treated, it was clean. Of course, holding drinking water in open-air containers invites the kind of stupidity on film there, plus is a vulnerability for anyone who wants to dose the water with poisons, disease, as a prank. Yep, better to have restricted-access sealed containment, and even then you're going to have enterprising children trying to break in to swim, party, whatever.

It's probably just the yuck factor, I don't think the water was actually ruined. Push comes to shove, you could simply pump it through treatment again, and steam-clean or whatever they do to the reservoir walls and plumbing.

From Portland Reservoir To Be Flushed After Teen Pees In The Water Supply - 4th para:

"The urine poses little risk — animals routinely deposit waste without creating a public health crisis — but Shaff said he doesn't want to serve water that was deliberately tainted."

As far as testing the perps - sure, you could do that. Whether anything they're carrying would be infectious enough to make a difference @ that level of dilution - you'd have to ask a homeopath; I don't think the chemists nor doctors nor biologists would have a definitive answer - other than to note the terrible odds of contracting anything serious.
EUWWWWWWW! So DELIBERATE urine is worse than CASUAL urine from, say, a possum or a skunk? EEEUUUUUUUWWWWW.

You know, this is the stupidest thing in the world for Portland to have publicized. While they are attempting to make themselves look good, they have just announced to a world full of wackadoodles that it's not all that hard to do dastardly things to the Portland water supply. WTH are they THINKING?!?!?! I seriously hope they now post guards around every reservoir 24/7... These officials need to spend a little more time wandering around Walmart or the 99˘ Stores so they can wake up to the fact that earth has been invaded by the denizens of the Star Wars bar scene. Seriously, there are people out there who just really shouldn't be alerted to these kinds of things... God help us.

And as someone living in the desert in the midst of a drought... We would happily take that water off their hands. Don't send it back to the ocean! Send some trucks our way and we'll make good use of 38 million gallons!! It's kind of insulting how cavalier the guy was about the water. "Well, we don't live in the Southwest..."

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM

23,988 posts, read 31,227,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Imbeciles.

Who drinks tap water any more?
Me. Our water tastes every bit as good as bottled.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM

8,887 posts, read 7,382,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I've been buying Pur filters on ebay for ~$10 shipped, if not less, for years. You're comparing the Brita pitcher filter (40 gallons) to the Pur faucet filter (100 gallons). The Brita faucet filter is within a buck or two of the Pur, at retail.
Mobile home kitchen spout is short in height. Tried installing a faucet filter and it lowered the height making rinsing dishes near impossible. I get 3 Brita filters for less than $15.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,355,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Accused Portland Teen:

The teen sounds like a jerk, but the best response is from the Portland Water Bureau administrator is priceless:
"I was in the pool! I was in the pool!"[/costanza]

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,325,172 times
There are many cities that get there water from rivers and lakes......the same one the sewage goes in.

It is treated first....unless of course there is excessive rain and there is an overflow.

Then there is always the private homes on the lakes and rivers that do not have proper septic systems......they dump into the same lakes and rivers.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 560,799 times
Smile The legand lives on from the Chippawa on down ...

Unless he released a few million gallons of water, the reservoir was likely unaffected. I wonder how many birds fly over and drop poop in it?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,916,207 times
Yes. Deer, dogs, birds, and who knows what else, whiz and dump in the same water. Who knows what else gets in there. Probably toxic runoff and other garbage.

Imagine cities that source their water from something like a lake or river. Cities flush their (treated) waste water right back into lakes and rivers. Animals use it as a toilet. Farms run off into it. Then some downstream city picks it up and purifies it for municipal water. Some cities get drinking water from canals. In Phoenix, once in a while someone dumps one of those portable ****closets into the canals.

Unfortunately, this reservoir was full of drinking water (already treated). It's scheduled to be permanently disconnected in 2015, apparently. So even though it's overreacting, public perception is apparently enough to motivate the flushing of this water, which will even more absurdly be put back into the sewer to be re-treated as waste water.

Last edited by 43north87west; 04-18-2014 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or