U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,742,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
People who purposely put themselves at risk to achieve some dubious honor must have a secret death wish.
OhZone,

Some may, but I'm not sure that is true for all. From what I've read and learned when double amputees are using their prosthetic legs to climb, more have set goals for themselves and very much want to live being able to say they conquered a fear or used climbing Mt. Everest as motivation for whatever reason in their lives. Some people are born wanting to be astronauts or other high risk professions. Do we discourage children, teens and adults from pursuing dreams?

Personally, Mt. Everest, not on my to do list. I'm not sure I have the right to discourage the dreams and goals of others.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
I agree with your sentiment, but disagree about there being any honor in this any longer.

I no longer believe there is honor in climbing Everest, only shame.
Zot,

I can certainly understand and respect your POV. Check the articles I post, especially the one with the 50 yr. old Sherpa.

You and I are fortunate to live in a country that provides many opportunities.

MSR

Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Default First Hand Account of the Ice Avalanche

This is a helpful article for me as it comes from an eye witness to the Ice Avalanche. This path had been chosen because the Sherpas and others felt it was safer than those used in past years.

2014 Mt. Everest Expedition Coverage with International Mountain Guides

MSR

Old 04-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Default The POVs of other Sherpas

This article has discussions with residents of Nepal, including a 50 year old Sherpa.

Everest avalanche a reminder of risks Sherpas face

MSR

Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Body of 13th Sherpa Recovered from Mt. Everest

Breaking, World, US & Local News - nydailynews.com - NY Daily News

Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 AM

960 posts, read 1,334,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
I agree with your sentiment, but disagree about there being any honor in this any longer.

I no longer believe there is honor in climbing Everest, only shame.
The Sherpa's are wonderful people. My friend did a trek in Nepal years ago and couldn't say enogh good things about his guides and hosts. He was very disappointed in the amount of trash and human feces along the trails he traveled.
It's sad there was such a loss of life so that the rich can indulge their fantasies.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 AM

12,860 posts, read 24,546,699 times
I had a wonderful older Sherpa guide for a two-week trek in Nepal in 1992. We had to go to the medical clinic in Pheriche for a cellulitis on his face. He was amazed that I didn't care to go to the Base Camp but wanted to go to the two medical clinics and monasteries. He was the best part of the trip (Ang Geljen Sherpa, Namche).
If people want to summit, etc., they should do it clean, like real mountaineers, not with a huge gaggle of locals doing all the heavy lifting.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM

2,244 posts, read 2,326,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had a wonderful older Sherpa guide for a two-week trek in Nepal in 1992. We had to go to the medical clinic in Pheriche for a cellulitis on his face. He was amazed that I didn't care to go to the Base Camp but wanted to go to the two medical clinics and monasteries. He was the best part of the trip (Ang Geljen Sherpa, Namche).
If people want to summit, etc., they should do it clean, like real mountaineers, not with a huge gaggle of locals doing all the heavy lifting.
True but mountaineers are not welcome on Everest anymore, the local guides and the climbing Sherpas don´t really want them there, they want paying high altitude tourists.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM

5,491 posts, read 6,163,202 times
On the one hand, I would like to see a 'pure' ascent of Mt Everest. You carry in and carry out what you need to make the attempt.

But, as has been pointed out, the 'locals' (Many of whom have been to the summit on numerous occasions) make a ton off of the 'tourist' industry. They are generally not unhappy to do what they do. Sort of like coal miners: horrible work which leads to an early death in may cases, but "the pay is good" compared to other options.

So, the vicious circle continues. No Sherpa, No ascents. NO ascents, No money in the local economy.

Prayers for the men who perished. Maybe it is time to take a break this year. Give everyone, including the Mountain, time to heal.

If I had to predict, it will be 50/50 among the expeditions as to who cancels, and who continues on.

And there will be plenty of arguments on both sides. Only the individual Sherpa, and the teams that they support, will know for certain why they made the decision which they took.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,119,924 times
I'm an Everest addict, I have been since the first time I read about Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenseng Norgay summit in an old copy of National Geographic. I followed Reinhold Messners solo summit without oxygen. Seeing Mt. Everest is high on my bucket list... climbing it isn't.

I say this because from my voyeuristic viewpoint, climbing Everest today is a joke, a deadly challenge for those who take it on, but still a joke. Every year that someone non Sherpa stands on Everest and claims some sort of record, a team of Sherpas has already made the summit laying the ropes and ladders to those that follow can summit as well. Back in 1953 and many of the years that followed, those who summited Everest carried their own gear, set up their own advanced camps, and didn't need Sherpas to carry them up the mountain.

For the Sherpas lured to the mountain because of the money that can be made, this was a work place fatality, it wasn't an adventure, it wasn't some ultimate human challenge, it was a just a job, and that is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or