U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 AM

8,440 posts, read 10,719,369 times

Advertisements

This is the worst loss-of-life disaster on Mt. Everest. It happened between Base Camp and the t
12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
and just below Camp 2.

This is a breaking story with now 13 reported dead and others missing.

My prayers will be with the Base Camp Medical Team. Just earlier this week research results about diabetes was released from previous Base Camp physicians and medical students.

Loss of life is always personal; but this is close to me, those who belong to the Wilderness Medical Society and clinicians who treat High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) as the Founder and Medical Director of Mt. Everest's Emergency Room, Dr. Luanne Freer is a E. R. Physician many of us know. I've been thinking about her all week given posts she had written in years past and having some chocolate on Easter. The Sherpas have helped Dr. Freer and other volunteer physicians who staff Base Camp E.R. with climbers who become ill. The Sherpas are friends and like family to Dr. Freer and others on the International Medical Team.

If you think this doesn't impact you or anyone you know, think of those with pulmonary problems and/or Cardiac who require oxygen. Many treatments and research on HAPE have been conducted at Mt. Everest E.R. and benefited patients throughout the world, as well as other medical research. Nepal may change rules after this disaster. Dr. Freer and others have always negotiated with the Government in Nepal to provide the services they do.

This is horrible news. I doubt few will follow the tragedy, although they benefit having E.R. Physicians who now are trained how to treat HAPE partially due to these lost Sherpas who would do anything they could to transport patients (usually on their backs) to Base Camp's E. R. for emergency medical care.

I can't imagine what the Base Camp Medical Team is experiencing currently.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:07 AM

Default More About Mt. Everest E.R.

Here is more about the E.R. on Mt. Everest.
Luanne Freer, MD – Founder and Director of Mount Everest

MSR

Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Default Sacramento Man is Safe

I believe there are about 80 Americans on Mt. Everest currently, either volunteering and working at Base Camp E. R. or trying to summit Mt. Everest. Good news from Sacramento. The man trying to be the oldest man to climb Mt. Everest is safe.

As far as I know, all who lost their lives were Sherpas. However, not everyone is accounted for yet.
Sacramento climber safe after Mt. Everest avalanche kills at least 12 - Our Region - The Sacramento Bee

MSR

Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Default A More Detailed Account

I know people who have climbed Mt. Everest. A great Pediatric Neurosurgeon comes to my mind first. All those who have reached the summit did so because the Sherpa's made it safer for them.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/19..._r=0&referrer=

MSR

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 PM

16,175 posts, read 20,184,521 times
The national network news have been all over this story, saw it on NBC and ABC this afternoon.

Very very sad.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 559,534 times
Unhappy She's climbing a staircase to heaven

Everest is has become the worlds highest cemetery, I wish people would stop taking pride in stepping over the bodies of the dead.

The day when a climb to the top of Everest was a great achievement are long over. It's time for tourism of this sort to stop imo.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Everest is has become the worlds highest cemetery, I wish people would stop taking pride in stepping over the bodies of the dead.

The day when a climb to the top of Everest was a great achievement are long over. It's time for tourism of this sort to stop imo.
Zot,

I believe the Nepal Gov't discusses this yearly. As long as people want to go and train for the Summit, I don't know that Nepal will stop their main revenue.

I hear what you are saying. Teams come from around the world. Mostly it's men but some women too. As long as those who want to drive faster, dive deeper or climb higher etc. there will be some natural disasters. That being written, the Oso, WA has at least 40 victims. What did they do but elect to live, or in some cases just visit, the area where the deadly mudslide occurred? In no way is that remark meant as a negative about the OSO victims.

Not out of disrespect for the Sherpas, I started this thread so we don't forget them and can read more when some are considering climbing Mt. Everest, additional information is available. The Sherpas were experienced and knew the risks better than anyone.

When my Pediatric Neurosurgeon friend went to climb Mt. Everest, I'll be honest and admit I was nervous. We couldn't afford to lose his Peds N.S. skill let alone the great guy, dad and more that he is. I was glad to get a message from Dr. Freer that he had safely returned. I don't think he wants to experience that Trek again, but I could be wrong.

Sometimes, given the cost and maybe peer or self pressure or desperately needing to have a challenge for any number of reasons, I don't know that those who get to Nepal really understood the dangers.vs. what they want to master. Yet, companies from around the world return every year with experienced guides who have reached the Summit several times. The Sherpas were very experienced.

None of us have any guarantees about being alive tomorrow. The earthquakes in Mexico City today were quite.strong. The storms in the south, the shooter in Kansas and Oso as mentioned plus so many other situations could end any of our lives at anytime. The school shootings are beyond my comprehension as there seems to be one attempted or interrupted daily. It can seem like some activities are more dangerous than others. We can either live our lives ending everyday the best we can with those who matter to us or fearing tomorrow.

I'm glad my friend, Dr. Freer and her team are at Base Camp E.R. to run an ICU if needed for the two who were thought to be dead but were found injured. Hopefully, they can get a chopper in for evacuation if needed. I don't know how the other Sherpas can function, but for so many, that is the draw. People living with no frills, barely surviving, yet the happiest. They believe things will work out somehow. It may be their religious beliefs and needing to be at peace in their souls each day.

Thanks for your post. I hope you'll feel free to post more.

MSR

P.S. -
Avalanches are dangerous in any state where they occur. There seem to have been too many U.S. Avalanches related deaths in the U.S. in less than four months of 2014 than most years.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 04-19-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 AM

Default I'm Glad Network News has Covered This so Closely on Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The national network news have been all over this story, saw it on NBC and ABC this afternoon.

Very very sad.
Double H,

It is indeed very sad. You and I have seen U.S. citizens die in U.S. Avalanches, Mining Accidents, Mud Slides and other.

I feel confident saying that you understand my point about no guarantees about tomorrow. We've been friends from the same general area for many years. I don't know that the national media covered some of the mining accidents and other as well. Of course technology has changed.

I really appreciated your PM! Life and the status of one's being can change in less than a minute.

Namaste my friend.

MSR

Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 AM

725 posts, read 1,322,199 times
People who purposely put themselves at risk to achieve some dubious honor must have a secret death wish.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 559,534 times
Lightbulb He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
People who purposely put themselves at risk to achieve some dubious honor must have a secret death wish.
I agree with your sentiment, but disagree about there being any honor in this any longer.

I no longer believe there is honor in climbing Everest, only shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or