U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,432,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Interesting or dismaying that nothing is written about the victim which is very unusual.

Who is he or she?
His name has not been publicized due to victim privacy issues in Australia

Quote:
What did he say?
Nothing publicly, but his wife has talked about it.

Quote:
Where is he from?
Koroit, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Who are his family members?
He has a wife.

Quote:
What happened to him after he got injured?
"The cyclist suffered a spinal fracture which required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at Melbourne's Austin Hospital. He was originally told he could be left a paraplegic and spent three months recovering.

He also suffered a broken big toe and lacerations to his head and body."

'I just don't care': texting P-plate driver hits cyclist

Last edited by KaaBoom; 04-21-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I trust the cyclist recovers from the injuries.

This young lady needs a serious attitude adjustment.
A bit beyond that. 2-5 would be a start, assuming she was the one that caused the collision.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
Just on her attitude alone, the judge should have suspended her licence till the cyclist fully recovers, and pay all his medical bulls.

how terrible that there are humans so uncaring.

she sounds like a rotten person. but she will get hers, what goes around comes around.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree generation has nothing to do with it. It's all about class. The rich don't care about running over the poor. The “affluenza” kid, or the rich old investment banker in Colorado who hit and ran a cyclist, then paid off the DA and the judge, so he could do community service while on an overseas vacation. There is no consequences for these people. Their money can get them out of anything.
I think you are over generalizing here. My parents are rich (I'm certainly not) and when I was growing up, I accidently popped the clutch on my sister's car and drove it through my friend's parent's garage door.

My dad suspended my ability to drive, paid the neighbors to replace the door, then made me get a job to pay HIM back for the damage I did to my sister's car and the neighbor's garage door.

This girl is a narcissistic spoiled brat.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,892,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Kimberley Davis Hits Cyclist While Texting And Driving, But She ‘Just Don’t Care’ About Spinal Injury

I think texting and driving is even worse than driving drunk. I'm not convinced her callousness is typical of the Millennial generation, like some commented. I think it's more of a class issue. A lot of drivers think people who walk and take transit are inferior to them.
Of course it is not all the millennials. It is offensive and frankly disgusting that people keep saying everyone in my age group is so idiotic that we would all do something like this. I am glad you don't buy into this. I read about this story a few days ago and she doesn't seem particularly intelligent. And is really immature.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:51 PM

7,504 posts, read 15,964,820 times
Its a pity they cant spay her so she doesnt inflict the rest of the world with her spawn.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Some people hit bicyclists deliberately. I witnesses such one morning when a driver swerved from the car lane into the bicycle lane, struck the bicyclist and knocked him over onto the sidewalk. She then swerved back into the car lane and sped away.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Some people hit bicyclists deliberately. I witnesses such one morning when a driver swerved from the car lane into the bicycle lane, struck the bicyclist and knocked him over onto the sidewalk. She then swerved back into the car lane and sped away.
I hope you got the tag number and called the police immediately.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I hope you got the tag number and called the police immediately.
There was no time with the speed at which she flew off. My concern then was the cyclist. He did manage to walk away but was limping. When I asked if he was all right, all his emotions were vented on the driver. It could have been worse. Don't think I'd ever try biking in traffic - or even alongside it in bike lanes. Too many crazies out there.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,033,808 times
Quote:
Quote:
There was no time with the speed at which she flew off. My concern then was the cyclist. He did manage to walk away but was limping. When I asked if he was all right, all his emotions were vented on the driver. It could have been worse. Don't think I'd ever try biking in traffic - or even alongside it in bike lanes. Too many crazies out there.
This is tragic.

I cycle to work nearly every day. I have never had any problems.

The key is knowing our rights as cyclists. Cyclists are permitted to use the right vehicle traffic lane on all roads except limited-access highways. We can also use the left lane if trying to make a left turn.

I drive as well. I know what irritates motorists is when cyclists don't abide by traffic laws (running red lights, stop signs, swerving recklessly, riding against traffic, etc).

As long as a cyclists shows a degree of confidence and willingness to obey traffic laws, I find motorists to be pretty courteous generally. I always use hand signals and wear tons of reflective equipment to make sure I am seen. Also, vehicular cycling (taking the full lane) is just as much of an aide to the motorist as it is to the cyclist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or