Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Occasionally, Darwin fails. This would be one of those times.
Hehe . . . There will be other opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I saw a still frame from the video, the engineer's foot was actually covering a part that projected off the train that might have taken part of the kid's head with it.
Then, three cheers for the engineer!
And, a big thumb down for the stupid teenager.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Replayed several times. Happened so fast. Difficult to make out. But if he was close enough to the train for the conductor to hit him upside the head, mightn't the impact have startled him to fall under the train?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
No, but I can guarantee it'll be turned into something political in 3...2....1....
The kid knew he was covered by Omabacare, so that's why he stood on the rail right of way.

There you go.

Actually, I would not cast a negative judgment on anything the train engineer did/didn't do/might have done/could have done.

1. If he'd done nothing and the kid somehow got killed, well, sometimes crap happens to stupid people.

2. If he'd done nothing and the kid survived, well, sometimes crap doesn't happen to stupid people.

Was it possible for the engineer to know with certainty that #2 would be the case? Nobody knows. He might not even know.

Maybe he did know #2 would occur but decided the kid needed to learn an object lesson anyway--if only to dissuade him and any of his video viewers from trying it. I'd say...he was right. The kid certainly did need a kick. If not in the butt, then the head would suffice.

Maybe he didn't know #2 would occur and was trying to push the kid out of the way. The kid survived, so he was still right.

However, I suspect the engineer knew for certain that kicking out at anything from the moving train was highly likely to cause himself injury. I doubt he would have risked nearly certain injury to himself just to teach a stupid kid a lesson.

He might, though, have risked injury to himself if he believed he was saving the kid's life, and I think that's the more likely scenario.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe the engineer was using his foot to push him out of the way and saved his life.
That would be my story if I was the engineer.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I saw a still frame from the video, the engineer's foot was actually covering a part that projected off the train that might have taken part of the kid's head with it.
The video goes so fast that you can't really see what happens. I have to agree with the poster who saw a still frame that explains that the engineer was trying to save his life.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,492 times
Other people have said that metal piece doesn't exist. He is also not an American idiot but a Canadian idiot from Regina, Sask.

It's a Peru rail train that runs to Macchu Pichuu so it runs about 17 miles per hour.

Selfie-taking Canadian who suffered train operator’s boot to the head: ‘It does make me look stupid’ | CTV News

He was to close to the tracks and the conductor was yelling at him and honking the horn. The idiot was also wearing a backpack so he was closer to the train then he thought.

Yes video selfies are a thing and the whole selfie thing is just a glorification of staring into a mirror and having people stare at you back.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 AM

513 posts, read 799,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Occasionally, Darwin fails. This would be one of those times.
There was a video of someone around my area (Philaldelphia) getting hit by a train. He was going nuts outside a convenience store and seemed to be on meth or something. The cops come and he tried running away and ran in front of a train. Broke both legs, and many other bones but lived somehow.

Police: Man hit by train while trying to run away from officer | Local - Home

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
If that was my kid pulling off yet another stupid stunt for social media I'd do more then kick him upside the head. I'd also shake the train engineers hand. What an idiot.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Train engineers must get tired of having to emergency brake for all the times people are on the track either for suicide or stupidity. Recently where I live 2 people have been killed while walking on the track while listening to their headphones on full blast.
Why do people walk on train tracks? It's so stupid, not to mention it takes more effort than walking on the ground having to watch yourself and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events