U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM

11,571 posts, read 17,501,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I think more than you know are concerned about gun violence. I live in a state which is starting to liberalize open carry--into public places, and it is down right scary. In my mind gun toting folks represent a frightening group of people and having them walking around with iron hanging off of their person is very scary. I suppose it is equally scary knowing that they MIGHT have a gun and not being able to see it.

Sadly, I can see a time (we are apparently not there yet) when owning a firearm in the US will be banned. There is no practical need to own a gun, and there are plenty of ways to have people use guns in recreational pursuits and still not have them floating around in the hands of the general public. It will probably take 100 years to rid society of them, but you have to start somewhere.
If people are afraid of gun violence it's because of media generated fears...or internet forum based fears with clear inaccuracies and misconception (or just plain nonsense) such as this thread. There is not much one can do but continue to promote education. Sadly, irrational fear is a human trait. Again look at this thread - it's full of innacuracies and hyperbole by a few anti-gun owners - guns in mental institutions, all gun owners have a gun fetish. It's extreme, it's hard to take seriously.

I don't fear guns, I respect guns, and I am licensed to carry one in public. Nor do I worship guns, it's simply a tool like my cell phone and car keys. I don't endorse open carry for various reasons, I stay concealed, but that's a personal thing.

I cannot see a possibility of banning guns without banning the entire bill of rights. I can't see that at all. Yes some countries ban guns, the same countries ban certain movies and books, restrict free speech, etc. Yeah, I've been to "perfect societies" like Singapore. The average American, even the anti-gun faction, will not adapt, and will be crying to go home within a month. For better or worse, the US is founded on individual freedoms. Some citizens will abuse the right of gun ownership, as some citizens will also abuse the rights of free speech, etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,385,316 times
Can any of the people against the law in Georgia cite using facts, how many homicides there were last year or the year before where the murderer was a person who legally obtained a license or permit to carry a concealed handgun and that was the factor (any factor) in the homicide?

Please, only from those against the concealed carry law(s). Lets see if a single one of them can step up to the plate.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,127,125 times
[quote=Mack Knife;34508942

You conveniently group all deaths where a gun was used into the same basket. quote]

Hence my suggestion that we do away with guns. Guns are used to kill people, regardless of the 'situation'. Fewer guns equals fewer deaths. Clearly trying to micro manage with licenses, magazine size, caliber, automatic/semiautomatic, background checks, etc, has had no impact.

It is time to man-up and do what needs to be done.

Sure, it is sad for many of us, but broadly speaking, we have demonstrated that guns have no place in our society and the only way to 'control' the damage which they do is to eliminate them. Not make them illegal. Eliminate them.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 PM

834 posts, read 887,296 times
Reg. my planned vacation there:

"Georgia off my mind"

Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 PM

60 posts, read 61,793 times
[quote=Ted Bear;34509640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife;34508942

You conveniently group all deaths where a gun was used into the same basket. quote

Hence my suggestion that we do away with guns. Guns are used to kill people, regardless of the 'situation'. Fewer guns equals fewer deaths. Clearly trying to micro manage with licenses, magazine size, caliber, automatic/semiautomatic, background checks, etc, has had no impact.

Sure, it is sad for many of us, but broadly speaking, we have demonstrated that guns have no place in our society and the only way to 'control' the damage which they do is to eliminate them. Not make them illegal. Eliminate them.
What?....a voice of reason?....there is hope for US yet. No one needs a gun, not even a "hunter" that only shoots to kill for fun. The gun droolers always forget the part of the 2nd amendment that states " being part of a well regulated militia"...you want to kill? Join the armed forces...be the first to invade Iran or Russia.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:19 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,385,316 times
Quote:

You conveniently group all deaths where a gun was used into the same basket. quote

If we do away with guns, then how will the police address violence through other means and how would our military arm themselves?

The questions are serious as you'll find out if you can answer.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:19 PM

7,504 posts, read 15,969,677 times
[quote=giantkillerslingshot;34509821]
Quote:

What?....a voice of reason?....there is hope for US yet. No one needs a gun, not even a "hunter" that only shoots to kill for fun. The gun droolers always forget the part of the 2nd amendment that states " being part of a well regulated militia"...you want to kill? Join the armed forces...be the first to invade Iran or Russia.
There's definitely no reason in your voice. Kind of odd you ignore every post that has an ounce of common sense because you don't agree with it.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM

3,050 posts, read 1,570,392 times
Quote:

Excellent advice. Eliminate the guns. I am sure all criminals will be happy to give up their guns and obey the law.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:24 PM

5,488 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkillerslingshot View Post
Where was the good guy with a gun? He never seems to show up when the NRA says he will.
To live in fear like you seem to must herald a life of shuttered misery.
I'm one, and there's a fellow on a Boston street who was being beaten by 5 other guys who is thankful of it, as is a woman who was being beaten by a guy who was twice her size. Being armed has also been a factor in successfully defending myself from being victimized on several occasions. On none of those occasions was there a cop in sight, and none could have arrived in time to save the day.

I daresay that those of us who go armed live in substantially less fear than those who do not. Indeed, it is fear that drives the pansies that want to disarm *everyone*. Unfortunately, they seem to be ignorant of the fact that depriving citizens of the means to defend themselves simply gives the criminals a wider choice of weapons with which to attack the person who has none.

Those of us who go armed tend to be more aware of our surroundings, and tend to avoid [intentionally] putting ourselves in a situation that would require us to use lethal force to defend ourselves (unless there is a very good reason for it...such as acting to protect another). A friend once invited me to accompany him to a particular drinking establishment, he said "Make sure you bring a gun." I said "No, thanks. If I need a gun to go there, I don't need to go there." We don't *want* to be in a shootout, no reasonable person does. The odds of it ending badly are too high, and in surviving, one then has to negotiate the hurdles of law enforcement and investigation, not to mention the psychological aftermath that some people are ill prepared to handle.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM

11,571 posts, read 17,501,153 times
Quote:

Impractical, impossible, and thank God it a concept which the overwhelming vast majority of Americans will not agree with. With all respects to Lynrd Skynrd, it is absolutely false that all "(hand)guns are made for killin'" people.
1.) There are guns designed for nothing but target shooting (it's an Olympic sport in fact)
2.) Guns are used for hunting.
3.) There are gun collectors, with guns that never leave a glass case because they are too valuable.
There are in fact many guns that do not work well in the role of killing human beings, either for murderous purposes or self-defense - small caliber firearms are designned for small game. Large caliber single shot rifles are awkward to use for anything other then large game. Target shooting guns likewise - awkward. Antique guns don't take modern ammunition.

The USPSA, a competitive pistol shooting organization, has about 18,000 member, the IDPA has 10,000 members.
There are about 30 to 40 million hunters in the US (a sport in which I do not engage in myself).
There are approximately 18,000 indoor target shooting ranges in the US, not sure how many outdoor.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-24-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events