U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,363,024 times

Advertisements

I have one word -

MORONIC

Old 04-24-2014, 03:20 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,429,299 times
There is absolutely no need for anyone to carry a gun on them. I just cannot fathom why certain Americans see it as an attack on their rights for guns to be banned. The US has an extremely high gun crime rate, over 100x the rate in the UK, yet politicians and certain people still see more guns as the answer. I don't like Piers Morgan, but he has a point in regard to gun control in the US.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM

12,633 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
There is absolutely no need for anyone to carry a gun on them. I just cannot fathom why certain Americans see it as an attack on their rights for guns to be banned. The US has an extremely high gun crime rate, over 100x the rate in the UK, yet politicians and certain people still see more guns as the answer. I don't like Piers Morgan, but he has a point in regard to gun control in the US.
So, the actions of criminals should dictate the rights of law abiding citizens?

"There is absolutely no need for anyone to carry a gun on them."

Really? No one ever in history ever needed a gun? You can predict the future and know that no one will ever need a gun?

And you realize that guns are legal in the UK, so obviously guns are not the issue or the UK would have an equal gun crime rate. Heck, if guns were the problem, the gun crime rate would be equal across the US, but it is clearly not.

Last edited by boxus; 04-24-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,377,646 times
Quote:
Most all of that is Illegal guns due to gangs. Take away the gang problems and that rate goes to near zero. How about concentrating on the illegal problem and leave legal gun owners alone. They are not the problem!!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM

455 posts, read 839,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkillerslingshot View Post
If guns will be allowed everywhere in the intention of your enlightened legislature, I'm pretty sure the mentally ill patients will be armed, they have 2nd amendment "rights" also, don't they?
COPS aren't even allowed to carry in Psych wards.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,491,775 times
Quote:
The US has a high CRIME rate, guns or not, compared to some countries (although compared to other countries it is extremely low). There is no direct relationship when comparing these statistics from countries with strong gun ownership laws vs. weak gun ownership laws. i.e. there are many examples with countries that have high rates of gun ownership and low crime, and vice versa.

This indicates it is a societal problem, not a gun problem. And the problem is clearly within certain demographic groups - the young, the poor. The point here is you are attempting to address the symptom, not the problem. I can throw in the case of Chicago's high rate of crime vs. it's extreme gun control laws, but why bother. No one is saying more guns is the answer, we are saying that less guns is not the solution.

Gun rights is a personal freedom. It's not that people don't need to carry them, it's that it's not the government's business to tell citizens that they DON'T have the right to carry them (within certain restrictions). Once you realize that - you get the whole purpose of the Bill of Rights. It's not to tell the government what WE the People can do, but what THEY cannot do. This concept is also what Europeans and others will never quite understand about Americans and the concept of personal freedom. It's unique, it's not perfect, but I wouldn't chose anything else.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-24-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,314,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, it is not crime increasing, it is violent deaths increase. Violent crime happens regardless.. it is just a matter of how easy we make guns available on the street.

Use some common sense in your every day life and you should be fine. Don't walk alone at night or in any secluded area. Be aware of your surroundings.

Guns on personal property I wholeheartedly understand. You have the right to protect your home. But, should a homeowner have a loaded military arsenal while he is beating on his wife? That makes it extremely dangerous for law enforcement to diffuse any domestic violence situation.

I live less than 5 minutes outside of Kennesaw city limits. The overall crime rate had decreased by more than 50% between 1982 (when mandated gun law was passed) and 2005.

Quote:
Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

"It did drop after it was passed," he said. "After it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years."
Kennesaw Gun Ownership

I'm well aware of how to keep safe. I use valet parking when I go to the mall, I don't sit and lollygag in my car after I start it, etc.

Of course he shouldn't have any firearm or weapon while beating his wife. Better yet, his wife should leave ASAP, press charges, and leave town.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:20 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,380,090 times
Quote:
The reason you can't fathom things is because you created them in your mind only.

Can you cite where politicians have said guns are the answer to reducing crimes? Perhaps it is the concept of self defense you can't fathom as opposed to deterrence which are two different things.

You see? Once you get straight what you are trying to fathom, it gets easier.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 PM

19,649 posts, read 8,216,795 times
Quote:
You and me both, along with the majority of those in the US. I found this quote appalling:

“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules,” Deal said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

This basically says--everyone get yourself a gun just like the wild wild west. I have heard all the arguments by the gun lovers about how and why you need a gun, yada, yada, yada. Maybe if you actually live somewhere with the threat of wild animals you might need a gun, although I lived in the woods of New Mexico in a house alone and never needed a gun. Have also lived in NY, CT, MA, CA and FL and never found myself in any situation requiring a gun or any weapon. I feel sorry for the paranoid souls who cannot live, drive, eat out, see a movie, go to the beach, etc. without being armed. Have also traveled all over Europe and the UK alone and never found myself in a situation that required being armed. I think it is normal not to need a gun in a civilized country. But unfortunately, there are many extremely vocal paranoid souls and NRA lobbyists who feel the need to be armed. Thankfully, gun ownership in the US is declining, despite being the most heavily armed country in the world, or so says The Blaze.

How Many People Own Guns in America? And Is Gun Ownership Actually Declining? | TheBlaze.com

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You and me both, along with the majority of those in the US. I found this quote appalling:

“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules,” Deal said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

This basically says--everyone get yourself a gun just like the wild wild west. I have heard all the arguments by the gun lovers about how and why you need a gun, yada, yada, yada. Maybe if you actually live somewhere with the threat of wild animals you might need a gun, although I lived in the woods of New Mexico in a house alone and never needed a gun. Have also lived in NY, CT, MA, CA and FL and never found myself in any situation requiring a gun or any weapon. I feel sorry for the paranoid souls who cannot live, drive, eat out, see a movie, go to the beach, etc. without being armed. Have also traveled all over Europe and the UK alone and never found myself in a situation that required being armed. I think it is normal not to need a gun in a civilized country. But unfortunately, there are many extremely vocal paranoid souls and NRA lobbyists who feel the need to be armed. Thankfully, gun ownership in the US is declining, despite being the most heavily armed country in the world, or so says The Blaze.

How Many People Own Guns in America? And Is Gun Ownership Actually Declining? | TheBlaze.com

The Blaze? Really? You really don't want anyone to take you seriously, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events