U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,292,597 times

Advertisements

Denton ISD Makes Dramatic Grading Changes CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Denton ISD is making major changes in grades and accountability.
The article states teachers are fine with this. The news Poll states parents are livid.

Educators, how does this make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,010,089 times
That's all well and good but those kids still need to pass their STAAR tests in order to be promoted.
STAAR are the state tests.

They can have a GPA of 4.0 or a grade of A or 100 but if they fail their STAAR test they are not promoted.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,072,185 times
This is happening in my district too. Apparently, only 10% of the grade can be made up of 'non-academic' factors ie not turning homework or projects in on time. Zeros aren't put in until the very end of the semester, so theoretically, a kid could not turn in a single assignment until the last day of the semester and still get a 90% in the class.

Crazy.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM

6,737 posts, read 11,793,395 times
But the School Board called it a "courageous and brave move."

They are NUTS.

And I can't believe that teachers are OK with this? There would be no point in giving due dates for anything. How is this going to teach the kids to actually be accountable?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM

5,416 posts, read 9,582,942 times
This is one of those things that will have all sorts of unintended - though not necessarily unforeseen - consequences. We'll have to see what they come up with to help kids build good work behaviors. I'm guessing it won't be much, as handing homework in on time is not assessed on the state tests.

“We are not dismissing the value of those behaviors,” stated Vicki Christenson, director of secondary curriculum. “We’re simply separating them out and saying grades have to be all about learning, and not about behaviors that we value. We have to find another way to help kids build those behaviors.”

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,768,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Denton ISD Makes Dramatic Grading Changes CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Denton ISD is making major changes in grades and accountability.
The article states teachers are fine with this. The news Poll states parents are livid.

Educators, how does this make sense?
My school is phasing this in. The idea is to grade on tests only as the test is where the student proves they know the material. In theory, I agree. In practice, I'm finding that students simply no longer take homework or the first test seriously. We are seeing more high grades and more failures. The kids who want a higher grade will work for it. The kids who don't do the homework are the same kids who don't retake the tests but the grades do reflect what the students have shown us they know.

We no longer grade homework. Homework is practice. The logic here is that sports teams don't start up a few points because they did their practice nor do they start down a few points because they didn't practice. What matters is their performance during the game. If they do poorly this game, they have the opportunity to come back and play better the next game.

The problem we're seeing in the classroom is getting kids to see the link between practice and performance on the test. I'm hoping that in time these kinks will work themselves out. It could just be that we've just switched over to this type of grading and kids are seeing it as a free for all WRT homework and test retakes. Hopefully, in time they will learn that it's just more work for them to retake tests.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,493,680 times
Great.....then when these kids get into the work force and have to get a report in on time do their bosses have to give them a "do-over" too?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM

14,099 posts, read 9,841,225 times
What they are saying loudly and clearly is that education and preparing students to do well in life as adults is no longer material. All that matters is the test - which does nothing for the child except measure them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We no longer grade homework. Homework is practice. The logic here is that sports teams don't start up a few points because they did their practice nor do they start down a few points because they didn't practice. What matters is their performance during the game. If they do poorly this game, they have the opportunity to come back and play better the next game.
But sports players who fail to show up for practice sit on the bench, even if doing so will make the team lose that particular game. Why? Because the coach knows that the long term matters more than just one game and in the long term a player that practices and does their best in practice is a better more reliable player than a superstar who doesn't give a crap. This is such a bad analogy.

This rant isn't directed at you Ivory - I know you are just repeating what you have been told.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM

14,099 posts, read 9,841,225 times
Quote:
The idea started when a teacher noticed that the grades of his own kids did not always seem to be a good measure of what they knew and did not know. Kids with the best grades could be getting bonus points, while those with lower grades might actually know more than the grades reflect.
Here's a thought. Why didn't that teacher fix the way HE graded so that the grades accurately reflected what he thought the kids knew and didn't know.

Quote:
The district also polled teachers throughout last year and found that, in most cases, more than half of them are already comfortable with parts of this new approach.
I wonder what parts. And "in most cases"? What does that mean?

The good idea fairy obviously flew by this district and no one issued an invitation to Mr. Reality before implementing this.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 PM

15,797 posts, read 13,225,887 times
I am a teacher and I am completely fine with this.

What is the purpose for homework? It is a formative assessment to practice when and if a student is ready for a summative assessment. We only started grading it so we could "motivate" (aka punish) those who are not moving at the schedule we like.

I have never "graded" homework, and I never will. A practice is just a practice, and no one should get a grade for how well, or on whose schedule they practice. This places the responsibility for practicing, or not, exactly on who it belongs on, the student. On summative assessments that are not tests, my students are given a range of dates and are allowed to pick their own "due date". These are still flexible but all students know that there are hard, external deadlines that we all have to meet (aka mp and graduation deadlines) and the vast majority actually want to turn things earlier rather than later. Some of them have even squabbled over who can turn in things earliest. Why? Because after doing this for years, they know that those who go first get the most revision time, most feedback, and the best chance to actually earn a good grade.

It is a massive sea change, and for it to work, people need to commit and give it time. But the end results can be worth the aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or