U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 PM

777 posts, read 836,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Lord have mercy...he was trying to tell his GF not to push his buttons by deliberately dating black men. it was about her attempts to control/manipulate him.

He was not making a generalized statement about all black people.

Sheesh.

I'm plenty liberal, but i think this has gotten blown way out of proportion.
He has a lawsuit about him claiming that black people "smell bad." He is, indeed, racist against all black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 5,099 times
Default 1984 and the Thought Police

I see nothing offensive in what Sterling said. This was supposed to be a private phone conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend. What a big coincidence she had a tape recorder hooked up and handy to record this "impromptu" conversation. Pardon me for thinking that Sterling was set up but none the less from what I heard he said nothing vulgar. If one expects to be a kept woman I assume he felt
the right to ask her to not do certain things. After all she is an employee and as all employees know
you must follow what the boss tells you to do, unless its illegal, immoral or fattening.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM

777 posts, read 836,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg1252 View Post
I see nothing offensive in what Sterling said. This was supposed to be a private phone conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend. .
Private or not. It's offensive to black people who have been enslaved, kidnapped, raped, tortured, and lynched by someone like Sterling.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,200 posts, read 1,573,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think Mr. Sterling could care less, he's still incredibly wealthy and he's more than 80.

But as far as these latest outburst, I see it as just a verbal brawl between him and his African American girlfriend. Those kinds of things happen, I don't see Mr. Sterling as a racist but just someone who got childishly petulant with his old lady. There is a lot going down here between Sterling, the wife and the girlfriend where they are all fighting over money- I wish they would just grow up.
The girl friend in Mexican/American of color.......and the context of his divisive rhetoric is plain and simple. Its just like not having a problem with your daughter having "Black" friends in school.....but by God she had better not start dating him!!! Or worse, start pro-creating! This is the gist of Mr. Sterling's jabs: Its OK if you know them or admire them, just don't take photos with them and post for the world to see. Oh, and yeah, don't bring them to my games either.

Now what of that context don't you see?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 PM

341 posts, read 419,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is there really a scenario where a murderer or rapist would not be prosecuted and it's up to the NBA to bring the person to justice? Really?
Players in the nfl, ncaa, and sometimes nba rape all the time and aren't brought to justice ...and money can get you out of a lot

Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I live in South Florida and what is odd to me is that many Latinos/Hispanics are horribly racist towards black people and no one cares and no one pays attention.

Anyone who says this isn't true either does not live in South Florida or has their head in the sand.

It's blatant.
Do the blacks in south florida not hate them? I know Florida blacks openly hate whites more than any other area I've seen.

Last edited by travel-a-lot; 04-30-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM

11,678 posts, read 7,020,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
The girl friend in Mexican/American of color.......and the context of his divisive rhetoric is plain and simple. Its just like not having a problem with your daughter having "Black" friends in school.....but by God she had better not start dating him!!! Or worse, start pro-creating! This is the gist of Mr. Sterling's jabs: Its OK if you know them or admire them, just don't take photos with them and post for the world to see. Oh, and yeah, don't bring them to my games either.

Now what of that context don't you see?
I believe most black players would react the same as Sterling if put in a similar situation. Imagine an old rich black celeb having his pretty young GF (the symbol of his vigor) going to events and hugging muscular white jocks for all the world to see. Now what if his friends are calling him and asking why his girl is always with these strapping young white guys. Is it possible that he'd tell her to stop flaunting her friendship with these white people?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
It's impossible for blacks to be racists against whites. Plus, black people don't have the same history of being evil, raping, killing, kidnapping, lynching, torturing and enslaving whites.
It's impossible?? Cus blacks don't have the "power" to be racist cus they're a minority right? if that's the case then Donald Sterling isn't racist either because he's a member of the smallest minority of all, Jewish.

I don't know what happened historically but I do know that today blacks rape, kill, lynch whites all the time in America and no one says anything about it and the media ignores it. The president is a racist who would rather make a long statement on Donald Sterling than discuss the knockout game, where blacks randomly choose whites to sucker punch and many have died from.

If you don't believe me look at this...look at all the black on white murders that have gone on just in 2014... New Nation News - Black-on-White Crime .... won't even see a mention of any of them in any kind of media outside of the local channels that have to report every murder in the area. Nobody says anything about the lynching going on today but when one black man(trayvon or jordan davis) get killed by one man in a one on one we all say "racism isn still alive this is just like emmitt till blah blah blah). It's crazy what's going on today.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Would you agree that in the court of public opinion and in the workplace there are certain issues that a person can't come back from? This is sort of a life sentence.

-Child molestation (under 10 yrs old)
-White person saying something considered racist

Anything else? Adultery is ok. Beating your wife is ok. Fraud is not too bad. Black person being racist has the ability to change, DWI or drugs who cares, supporting a terrorist group can be looked over, etc.
I think being a racist is worse than a child molester. I don't remember anyone threatening to boycott Penn State's games when they decided to play right after the Sandusky stuff. In fact the students were rallying behind one of the men who knew about it and said nothing (Paterno).

Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM

754 posts, read 863,452 times
Lets see, he wasn't convicted of a crime or hiring discrimination but yet he will most likely have his team taken away from him and has been "banned" from attending NBA games. Whatever happened to free speech? I don't agree with what he said but that's why we have free speech - to protect people when they say vile things. Where is the line drawn? Whenever someone is "offended", we should ban it or take one's financial livelihood away? Wow, talk about extreme.

Also seems to me some are "more equal" than others. If a Black person said the same thing, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or