Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times

Advertisements

The only thing I have to say about this non-story is ... I wish people got as outraged over real things that affect their lives and liberty.

Unconstitutional NSA spying? Yawn, already knew, nothing anyone can do.

Gaping income inequality? Whatever. Those people need to go back to school and work harder, plus something about lazy bums on welfare.

Drones terrorizing the skies of third-world nations and killing innocent civilians with their so-called "surgical strikes"? Who cares; they're just a bunch of brown people in huts, and they're probably terrorists anyway.

Out-of-control police brutality? Meh, they probably had it coming.

NDAA, Patriot Act, kill lists, assassination of American citizens? Doesn't affect me. Don't care.

But ...

Some owner of a sports team makes a racist comment? OMG, we need to do something about this right now! Public protests! Fill the airwaves and the Internet with non-stop stories about people patting themselves on the back for how un-racist they are by calling out this guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
[quote=Jesse44;34560820]I don't like when people act like it seriously hurts them when people call whites Jews or rednecks or something. It's not exactly a race that has gone through a lot of flack over the years, so it isn't even close to comparable to being prejudiced againt blacks.quote]

Pardon me but are you really this ignorant about history? The Jews have not gone through a lot over the years?

As for Sterling, yes he is a racist. But you cannot have a double standard.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,309 times
It isn't free speech UNTIL you disagree.

Who gets the $2.5 million? Black charities? Or the whites at NBA?

TeeVee Newz® is a very effective distraction from what's important in USA.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM

759 posts, read 1,355,892 times
First off, I think it should be pretty apparent to any one paying attention that his "girlfriend" is just another gold-digging, over-made up scum-***** who very obviously led and goaded her sugar daddy into voicing his already well-known opinions of black people for the purpose of recording and then blackmailing him. Check her bio, she has something of a history in that line.

Secondly, I feel no sympathy for Mr. Sterling. You try to buy the affections of a female dog fifty years your junior, and you are bound to wake up with fleas.

Thirdly, having such opinions voiced publicly are just plain poor business decisions on Donald Sterling's part. Certainly one sees many more white faces attending NBA games, a sport dominated by Black players, than one does black faces. But the big money made by the NBA is from television and endorsement deals-and the audience for that, at least in large East Coast cities like the one in which I live, is overwhelmingly Black. The Foot Locker and DTLR stores in our inner-city black neighborhoods have lines blocks-long qued up for hours before opening every time a new player-endorsed basketball shoe goes on sale.

I find Donald Sterling's comments utterly repellent. I also feel they display his underlying stupidity, and his being out of touch with current reality. However, he has a right to his opinions, however wrong-headed they may be. What's the old line about being an American, " I may not agree with your opinions, but I will fight to defend your right to hold them?"

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The only thing I have to say about this non-story is ... I wish people got as outraged over real things that affect their lives and liberty.

Unconstitutional NSA spying? Yawn, already knew, nothing anyone can do.

Gaping income inequality? Whatever. Those people need to go back to school and work harder, plus something about lazy bums on welfare.

Drones terrorizing the skies of third-world nations and killing innocent civilians with their so-called "surgical strikes"? Who cares; they're just a bunch of brown people in huts, and they're probably terrorists anyway.

Out-of-control police brutality? Meh, they probably had it coming.

NDAA, Patriot Act, kill lists, assassination of American citizens? Doesn't affect me. Don't care.

But ...

Some owner of a sports team makes a racist comment? OMG, we need to do something about this right now! Public protests! Fill the airwaves and the Internet with non-stop stories about people patting themselves on the back for how un-racist they are by calling out this guy!
This post right here, is a perfect example of why I fear for our kid's future.

We are supposed to be bringing our kids up properly yet here it is, a sociopath posting proudly how he doesn't care about inequality, a safe society, or the less able. And he's not alone.

The Pope came out and said, just two days ago, (on Twitter no less!) that inequality is the root of all evil.

He is so right. It is...and that evil is spreading, as evidenced by the 18th century sentiments regurgitated above.

We have FAILED, babyboomers and Gen x...we weren't supposed to have kids that talked this chit.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
It isn't free speech UNTIL you disagree.

Who gets the $2.5 million? Black charities? Or the whites at NBA?

TeeVee Newz® is a very effective distraction from what's important in USA.

Free speech means freedom from government persecution, not a private entity. If the NBA chooses not to be associated with this knucklehead, they can act accordingly. They did.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthfulRobot View Post
USA has now come full circle. Returned to the Red Scare of the 1950's where peoples careers are ruined based on personal private views.
^ what he said.
the fine and the Ban are absolutely ridiculous and nonsense!

what an absolute shame! He said what he said in the privacy of his home.....hell, even if he said it in the street....freedom of speech and opinion you goof balls!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
^ what he said.
the fine and the Ban are absolutely ridiculous and nonsense!

what an absolute shame! He said what he said in the privacy of his home.....hell, even if he said it in the street....freedom of speech and opinion you goof balls!
What I find funny is that racism separates people so to punish Sterling they used...separation. Did anyone hear anything about counseling, talking with a psychologist or just sitting down with him to talk? No, it was just blood thirty people calling for whatever punishment could hurt him the most. I'm pretty sure prison or capital punishment was on the table for some.

A few years ago a group of enraged players climbed into the stands to beat the life out of anyone they could get their hands on -- the results -- all were back in the NBA a few months later. Basically a slap on the wrist.

What about athletes that beat their wives or assault people or get caught with illegal drugs or DWI? Relative to Sterling they are not punished - yet these are the people that shape your children. The league will often try to rehabilitate them. I guess there's just no hope for useless old people....

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,059 times
And now the news cameras here in Southern California are at Staples Center showing fans going into the game wearing shirts that say "f the NBA owners" with the F word spelled out of course, and some with "F the rich white NBA owners".

Really?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
And now the news cameras here in Southern California are at Staples Center showing fans going into the game wearing shirts that say "f the NBA owners" with the F word spelled out of course, and some with "F the rich white NBA owners".

Really?
American popular culture is a cesspool. It's all bread & circus in the dying empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events