U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 AM

11,678 posts, read 7,006,876 times

Advertisements

Question:

If Sterling had come out in support of say Al Qaeda, Kim Jong-un or Ahmadinejad would anyone care? Maybe 2% of those that care about the race issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 AM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
In terms of public perception it seems white racists are worse than pretty much anything else you could be. Now if you're a black racist you're praised for the most part.
No, the public perception is that Mr. Sterling is a dip-[censored]. ("Dipstick," with a couple consonants transposed, and one dropped.) All of my friends think he's a dip-[censored]. My friends with varying skin colors, affiliations and beliefs are all unanimous, "Mr. Sterling is a dip-[censored]."

Nobody I know thinks that being a dip-[censored] is worse than being a murdering, gang-rapist, terrorist car-jacker. Although that might get him a spot on Fox News these days. It worked for Cliven Bundy.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 AM

341 posts, read 419,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, the public perception is that Mr. Sterling is a dip-[censored]. ("Dipstick," with a couple consonants transposed, and one dropped.) All of my friends think he's a dip-[censored]. My friends with varying skin colors, affiliations and beliefs are all unanimous, "Mr. Sterling is a dip-[censored]."

Nobody I know thinks that being a dip-[censored] is worse than being a murdering, gang-rapist, terrorist car-jacker. Although that might get him a spot on Fox News these days. It worked for Cliven Bundy.
If an nba owner was a murderer, rapist, etc. and the nba didn't punish him much do you think any player would threaten to boycott or any former player would even think to call for players to boycott? Of course not. So basically a racist is worse than anything else. What else would cause the players to even think about a boycott?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:20 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,084,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
This is nothing new for sports fans. Sterling has been this way for quite some time.
We can say anything we want in private.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 AM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times
Quote:
If an nba owner was a murderer, rapist, etc. and the nba didn't punish him much do you think any player would threaten to boycott or any former player would even think to call for players to boycott? Of course not. So basically a racist is worse than anything else. What else would cause the players to even think about a boycott?

Because he's the team owner, and just pulled a Marge Schott? (Another member of the dip-censored Hall of Shame.) He insulted everyone on his team, all the fans, the city where they play, his state and his country. He's an embarrassment. He's the racist old uncle that everyone hopes won't go on a drunken Thanksgiving tirade.

The NBA has every right to ban him. He's free to say what he feels, they're free to make sure there are consequences for damaging their brand. When a player does something stupid or criminal, they ALSO damage the brand and are punished. Feel free to suggest that the punishment does not fit the crime, and is out of line compared with the worse violations of the players. I agree with that. I'm also confident that the market would have crucified him surely and completely even if the NBA did nothing. Mr. Sterling would do well to sell his franchise as quickly as possible, before too many more sponsors flee. If you think the NBA is unforgiving, just wait and see what the market is going to do to him.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 AM

12,568 posts, read 13,980,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you seem to be excessively blathering on and on for someone who doesn't care
Yeah, really quite a lot of fireworks for a supposed non-event.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,199,574 times
Quote:
Is there really a scenario where a murderer or rapist would not be prosecuted and it's up to the NBA to bring the person to justice? Really?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,325,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We can say anything we want in private.
Yes, you can say whatever you want in public, as well.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 AM

5,499 posts, read 5,033,284 times
Lord have mercy...he was trying to tell his GF not to push his buttons by deliberately dating black men. it was about her attempts to control/manipulate him.

He was not making a generalized statement about all black people.

Sheesh.

I'm plenty liberal, but i think this has gotten blown way out of proportion.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM

251 posts, read 222,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Yes, you 'could' have cared less.....
by not having started this thread!
Think about it!
+1

now let's see this thread turn into all the closet racists venting space...lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or