U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times

Advertisements

its an old southern method. drop them in the lake and leave to learn how to swim.
you do learn but you also learn to hate swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
CPS should be all over this like white on rice.
CPS should crawl back under the hole they crawled out of--and STAY there, except in very extreme cases like molestation or starvation. So should the people who like to call them for every little thing.

That said, it is possible the father overreacted. Even so, fathers are big on getting kids past "wuss" moments by reaching that "enough" point in the whole back & forth dance that's going on and at that point MAKING the child go to the next step. I myself once, with a woman I was dating, watched while she tried to get her 3 year old son to walk a little further with her out to the lake, to be where the water would now be over his head (but she would be right there). She kept trying to encourage him, and he wouldn't budge. This went on for quite awhile, at which point I said "let me try," and I proceeded to throw him out there in the water before he even had a chance to utter a sound. For about 3-5 seconds he went ballistic, but then he not only stopped, but was smiling broadly and was in total euphoria.

That's what guys & fathers do, they get kids to break through that wall, we don't want to bully and we do understand that it's typically better for the child to make the breakthrough when they are ready, but we get tired of the whole back & forth dance after awhile and at that point it's a matter of "move, or BE moved." Otherwise, the breakthrough may NEVER occur and we'll be here all day with this.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM

1,991 posts, read 2,057,023 times
Shocking! Where else can I go and do nothing with all this outrage I feel right now? Facebook post perhaps? Maybe I can get a few "Likes" from my assonaut friends and start a real movement.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,846,910 times
The kid is not a "wuss". He's simply 6. The dad is a complete and utter arsehole and I think we've all encountered his type. Obnoxious!

Old 04-28-2014, 02:46 PM

552 posts, read 662,776 times
I'm ok with this.

parents baby their kids too much these days.

He had a helmet and pads on, no biggie.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:52 PM

256 posts, read 259,342 times
Its always no biggie, until the next parent thinks they should do this too and their kid breaks their arm.
Remember, pads can't keep you from breaking bones, and i've known enough people to break bones on the smaller half-pipe on my street!

Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Don't worry. The kid will just take it out on his classmates. Maybe even kick them. Ie, he'll become a bully like his dad. Way to go dad, you utter failure.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:11 PM

60,066 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
And what did the father accomplish?

A little, that'le teach you moment... Don't sas dad, when he is trying to tell you something.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM

60,066 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Well we dont know what was said between the 2. So it couldve been something like:

Dad: "Why are you waiting?"

Kid: "Im afraid im going to fall and get hurt"

Dad: "Here, let me help you get over that fear"

(kick)

The kid and his dad are regulars at the skate park. The kid is well versed on that 1/2 pipe.

The kid was sass'n his dad.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Dads that are tough on their kids, tend to grow up to very successful.
Over protected kids, can't cope and need a therapist.
Well that goes a long way to explaining a lot of your opinions....

Anyway.

Lip or no lip, the guy kicks his kid off of a ramp at least three times the kids height, turns his back not giving god damn or a second of thought about how the kid landed. That isn't tough love that's freaking abuse anyway freaking way you cut it. Only a some small penis failure of a man would think this is the way to raise his son.

No, Bent ole boy, this isn't what's wrong with American kids this is what's wrong with half brained idiots who are allowed to have children.

PS - I am a certified anti-helicopter parent who help raise our kid as a strong independent young woman who works for a development agency in South America, so spare me any lectures about what it takes to raise self sufficient kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or