U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM

774 posts, read 702,399 times

Advertisements

That video wouldn't have made the internet if it had shown a kindly, loving father giving his reluctant son a gentle push......something is very wrong with that man.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,026 times
There are a lot of kids these days that have "skate dads" who are as crazy as the moms of olympic figure skaters. My friend owns one of the local indoor skateparks in my city and has to deal with these types every weekend.

One of the best pro skateboarders these days (Nyjah Huston) comes from such a family, times 1000. His dad basically kept the family in a cult like compound in Puerto Rico where they homeschooled the kids and made them "train" in skateboarding all day.

AN INTERVIEW WITH NYJAH HUSTON’S MOM | Jenkem Magazine

Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 AM

15,762 posts, read 13,195,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well of course you are right, but speaking for myself, I'm so pissed off at this P.O.S. posing as a parent and the folks that are rushing to his defense that by extrapolating the possibility that he's a P.O.S in other aspects of life is quite satisfying. As for it being insane. hardly, the fact is that there is a 30-60% chance that if abuse exist in a household, both children and spouses are being subjected to that abuse.

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/us...cviolenceb.cfm
I respect your candor. Rare on the internet.

And while I agree wholeheartedly and appreciate the source, we don't know if the child is being abused. Again a single, wrong action does not a pattern of a use make.

Seriously, dad needs some parenting classes at a minimum and the person who thinks cps shouldn't get involved except in extreme cases is an idiot. The signs of abuse are generally subtle, even "extreme" abuse tends to be hidden by the victims. So waiting for some major epiphany moment is a mistake that will result in more children being abused.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,315,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
CPS should be all over this like white on rice.
Considering CPS deal with people who think nothing of extinguishing cigarettes on their children; or sending junior or juniorette to get their next fix; this guy simply needs a serious tongue lashing and shaming.

What do you think CPS will "do" in this situation?

CPS can barely deal with the case load it has, and, sadly, children in CPS care die.

So the dad was stupid. Parents make stupid decisions and do stupid things, educate this man, rather than ridicule him.

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 04-29-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,953,053 times
If he turns away after the kicking, and not even watch how it goes, that implies the kick was in disgust, not to help learn. The biggest danger is that a person like that will get frustrated with his child many times, with varying results. Some days he may merely be a little rough with him. Other days he may murder him. That's the way child abuse is. It varies from day to day. And keeps varying as long as the child lives.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,315,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
That video wouldn't have made the internet if it had shown a kindly, loving father giving his reluctant son a gentle push......something is very wrong with that man.
Videos make the internet for shock value.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 AM

60,444 posts, read 30,688,107 times
Quote:
Really? You show me a 13-20 year old girl who isn't rebellious and free thinking and I'll show you a child whose is brain dead.

Oh, you are soooo macho!

Dude, this isn't about you and your testosterone fuel ego. It is about a kid learning a skill for FUN!
So yeah your kid would have jumped, but the only problem is that the objective is not to jump into a half-pipe, the objective is to skate down the side! That's requires technique often best learned from within their peer group or at least a parent that knows how to teach those skills and at the same time build a kids confidence!

As the say, those that can, teach. Those who can't just push.

Another point that needs addressing,

When a kid turns to you and tells you to stop pushing them to do something that they have real and obvious fears of doing, that isn't freaking giving lip! That's a scared little human telling you that they are scared and if you would just back off they will get it together and do what they need to do.

Now I know this may come as a shock to your paternal ego, but even freaking kids have a right to tell you to back off when they are scared, unless your idea of raising children is to develop some rigid automatons that when you yell jump only ask how high. Personally, I haven't found that to be a great way to raise, intelligent, creative or creative individuals who are adept at problem solving (see Chinese kids are great at performing on test but can't think their way out of a wet noodle in the middle of a monsoon).

Hmmm Lent must be over sooner than I thought.

LOL! Don't get all personal, if I hit too close to home.

The wussification of America continues.

As stated and documented the kid is not new to that ramp. The father and son are regulars.

Yes, I have beaned my daughter in the batting cage, for back talk and sassing. Today she is the district offensive player of the year for two years straight, with 5, D-1 colleges fighting over her.
I don't have to wake her up in the mornings to get ready for school.

We teach your kids there are consequences for their actions. If we don't, life will. There is no set consequence in life, nor is there in the form of pain in a kids consequence, for their lack of respect.

Don't be late for your kids therapy appointment today. They are going to need it, along with some good meds.

I'm surprised there isn't the call for the dads head for putting the kid in danger of breaking his neck, arm, leg, by letting him on the skateboard ramp in the first place.... LOL! Overprotective moms... pft!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM

8,514 posts, read 11,408,919 times
what kind of tough-love learning is it when you kick a kid so he free-falls like that? He walked away in frustration - that's what it was, not a teaching moment.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM

27,331 posts, read 15,070,011 times
Quote:
CPS should crawl up this guys anal sphincter and stay there, along with my size 11 shoe.

"The video's uploader, Ryan Stephens, told FirstCoastNews that he asked Crossland why Dino was kicked so hard.
'He said "because he needs to learn". I was like "pushing him down is not teaching him how to drop in". And then he said "Do you think you can raise him better than me?" and I said yes,' Stephens said."

I would have told him that anybody other than his fellow Neanderthals on C-D could raise this kid better and I hope that in the future someone else will get that opportunity.

PS - I will bet a dollar to a dime that good ole dad couldn't half pipe to save his life and pushing his kid in the hopes that he'll grow up to become some skate board phenomenon that will rescue dear old dad from his sorry ass trailer park existence.

That is the problem with kids these days!

Freaking otherworld pressure to be what they're parents never got to be, whether it's getting into the Ivies, becoming a prima ballerina, a dick headed golfer or a spoiled Youtube sensation.
You are exactly right. Many parents live vicariously through their children - particularly through athletics. I saw it time and time again.

When my son first started school, I had much angst because he wasn't popular.

Some smart friend took me aside and asked if I were the prom queen, outgoing, and Miss Popular when I was in school. I was not. She then asked why I had that expetation of my son.

She had a good point.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,158,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Again a single, wrong action does not a pattern of a use make.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
what kind of tough-love learning is it when you kick a kid so he free-falls like that?
Free-fall? Have you ever ridden a half pipe? The "free-fall" on that ramp is probably 2 feet before the transition kicks out. Let's not make it as he pushed the kid out a two story window.

-----------

Like I said a number of pages ago, the dad pulled a &!@% move.

Was it a one time frustration issue that won't happen again or is it a pattern? We don't know, but I'd bet the question is being asked now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or