U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,164,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly. I have a 2.5 year old who does backflips off of furniture
Hmmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM

42,283 posts, read 49,863,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hmmmm....
Don't worry. We are there. He thinks it's a game we have to watch and play with him. He doesn't do it on his own. It's more like a back somersault. But because he does it off the back of the chair/couch, he lands on his knees or feet, making it like a flip.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,766,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
LOL at the people that say kids aren't the property of their parents.

This is the reason why kids suck these days.
Yes indeed. So true.

My thing is, I am not saying children ARE the property of parents, the same as (say) a set of tools or dishes, not at all. However, the ones who really push that concept typically are the ones that think that in, say, a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) everyone has an equal vote hence the 3 children can "out vote" the 2 adults. Thus, if the 2 adults want to eat at a nice Italian restaurant but the 3 kids want Chuck-E-Cheese or McDonald's etc, then they "get" to choose.

No, no, no.

As I see it, the household is to be a "benevolent dictatorship." That is, with obvious exceptions made for REAL abuse (cigarette burning, locking in a caged basement, molestation etc), the parents are to be in charge fully and absolutely, but coming most-times from a LOVING disposition, not an ugly or hateful one. Further, outsiders should be able to do ZERO to undermine or challenge that authority to any extent whatsoever. You want to let your children play outside alone at ages 3 & 5 in your yard--okay. Some other parents want their 11 year old indoors all the time because they are convinced they'll be kidnapped--okay.

In regards to the "play outside vs stay inside" situation, I vote much more for the former than the latter, in fact my kids now age 5 & 7 were playing outdoors alone in a fenced-in area when they were 2 & 4, but this is the thing--I would not DARE challenge the latter style for parents who choose that style, because I respect that they are the ones who get to make that choice regardless of how I feel about it. In like manner, you may not think that ages 2 & 4 were old enough when I was doing that, or that 5 & 7 is old enough now, but I felt they were (and there were no problems), and that is MY decision. Not yours, not CPS', not the government's, not the neighbor's--MINE and MINE alone. Period. (To the extent that laws on the book make this not so, they need to be overturned, and those who would vote for such laws need to be run out of town on a rail.)

Also, I fully believe that there are occasions where parenting is a lot like what is said regarding eggs--sometimes you have to crack a few eggs to make the omelet. It's not always sugary sweet or straight out of "Full House," sometimes it's more like James Evans in "Good Times" or Uncle Phil in "Fresh Prince," sometimes it's demonstrative and messy, and so be it. You want to discipline your child with time-outs, while others spank (and not with baseball bats, just the hand only, one swat)? You do it your way, I'll do it mine. You want to sit there all day and "convince" your child to go ahead & jump in the pool, or do you give them a bit and then if they still hesitate go ahead and THROW them in because we don't have all day for this? In either instance, it is YOUR choice.

We aren't parenting by popular opinion here, we parent by how WE think is right. Period. Strangers' opinions don't mean spit. You do it your way, leave others alone to do it THEIR way. If you witness cigarette burning, or a child left in the car for a long period of time in the heat, things like that, okay intervene. But for other things, and that includes a child left in the car for mere seconds in mild weather while the parent pays for gas (which is completely legal where I live), and other things that aren't illegal or over-the-top but just not your slice of cake--disagree with it all you want, but it stops there. Save CPS phone calls for REAL abuse, and otherwise mind your own business. As Uncle Phil in "Fresh Prince" said--if I wanted your opinion, I'd beat it out of you.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-29-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM

42,283 posts, read 49,863,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

In regards to the "play outside vs stay inside" situation, I vote much more for the former than the latter, in fact my kids now age 5 & 7 were playing outdoors alone in a fenced-in area when they were 2 & 4, but this is the thing--I would not DARE challenge the latter style for parents who choose that style, because I respect that they are the ones who get to make that choice regardless of how I feel about it. In like manner, you may not think that ages 2 & 4 were old enough when I was doing that, or that 5 & 7 is old enough now, but I felt they were (and there were no problems), and that is MY decision. Not yours, not CPS', not the government's, not the neighbor's--MINE and MINE alone. Period.

Also, I fully believe that there are occasions where parenting is a lot like what is said regarding eggs--sometimes you have to crack a few eggs to make the omelet. It's not always sugary sweet or straight out of "Full House," sometimes it's more like James Evans in "Good Times" or Uncle Phil in "Fresh Prince," sometimes it's demonstrative and messy, and so be it. You want to discipline your child with time-outs, while others spank (and not with baseball bats, just the hand only, one swat)? You do it your way, I'll do it mine. You want to sit there all day and "convince" your child to go ahead & jump in the pool, or do you give them a bit and then if they still hesitate go ahead and THROW them in because we don't have all day for this? In either instance, it is YOUR choice.

We aren't parenting by popular opinion here, we parent by how WE think is right. Period. Strangers' opinions don't mean spit. You do it your way, leave others alone to do it THEIR way. If you witness cigarette burning, or a child left in the car for a long period of time in the heat, things like that, okay intervene. But for other things, and that includes a child left in the car for mere seconds in mild weather while the parent pays for gas (which is completely legal where I live), and other things that aren't illegal or over-the-top but just not your slice of cake--mind your own business. As Uncle Phil in "Fresh Prince said--if I wanted your opinion, I'd beat it out of you.
You don't see the difference between benign neglect (letting young kids play outside without supervision) and actively kicking a kid down a ramp?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 AM

774 posts, read 702,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As Uncle Phil in "Fresh Prince" said--if I wanted your opinion, I'd beat it out of you.
You had me going until this

Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM

17,606 posts, read 21,805,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A man was caught on video kicking his child off of a skate ramp platform in a shocking video - and turning away as his son yells in pain.

Ryan Stephens, 13, uploaded the video of Marcus Crossland kicking his 6-year-old son off the platform at Jacksonville's Kona State Park to Instagram, First Coast News reports. The footage gained attention when it was shared by an account called IGersJax, which documents life in the city.

Read more: Father caught on video kicking 6-year-old son down skate ramp | Mail Online

That's not love - tough or otherwise. It's abuse

CPS needs to be involved. The man has a sadistic streak.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 PM

13,022 posts, read 12,474,766 times
Whatever his reason for doing it, you don't kick a kid off a ramp. That's not discipline. It's not "teaching" them anything. It's abuse. What, the kid didn't break anything, so no harm, no foul? The truth of the matter is that this man endangered his child's safety in a fit of temper. That's some psycho crap, not parenting.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,225,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's not love - tough or otherwise. It's abuse

CPS needs to be involved. The man has a sadistic streak.
Yes, tough love is one thing; acting moronic is on a different level.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM

774 posts, read 702,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Whatever his reason for doing it, you don't kick a kid off a ramp. That's not discipline. It's not "teaching" them anything. It's abuse. What, the kid didn't break anything, so no harm, no foul? The truth of the matter is that this man endangered his child's safety in a fit of temper. That's some psycho crap, not parenting.
I don't think it was a fit of temper, I think its hate or not caring about (as one account said) his stepson.

Look at the man's body language as you watch the video.

He has his thumbs hooked into his belt buckles which is classic ready to fight language. He has a fighter's stance.

THIS IS A SIX YEAR OLD!

He kicks or shoves the child, walks away angry, cold, uncaring like he were a bouncer tossing a drunk out of a bar.

Never looks back at the child.

THIS IS A SIX YEAR OLD!

Maybe more tellingly, the son looks at his father in awed fear as father talks to him seconds before he shoves or kicks him from behind him.

Meaning that his father has abused him a number of times before.

Listen to helpless scream of boy as he goes down 10-15 foot slide, father doesn't care, it doesn't affect him.

This is a video of a classic abuser criminally assaulting/ mentally assaulting a child.

Is the son or stepson a threat to the father's shaky ego? As in he sees the child as being competition to the love of the child's mother? What excuse is there for anyone to generate the kind of arrogant hate clearly seen in the video?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 9,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Don't give me lip service.

This kid is on that ramp weekly. They were talking about a new move and the kid was giving lip service to dad.

Shut up dad and let me do this... Bipp

Dads that are tough on their kids, tend to grow up to very successful.
Over protected kids, can't cope and need a therapist.

That is a very dumb statement to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or