Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Really?
That's where I was raised and went to college.
Beautiful country..that whole Finger Lakes area.
What is the normal coldest temperature in winter there. Freezing to death is a natural disaster too. Thanks very much but I prefer to dodge the tornados. We usually have warnings before they happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Where is safe exactly? You're in the southwest. Are you at risk of wildfire? Will the water supply run out one day? I know of nowhere that is truly "safe". You live with what you live with. Anyway, the odds of actually losing your home or life to a tornado are very low, as real as the risk is. Tornados are more hit or miss than say hurricanes that cover a large swath. I would hesitate to move to coastal Florida for that reason. But that's probably because hurricanes (or wildfires for that matter) seem more foreign to me. I've lived in the Midwest for forty years, without ever having my home sustain damage from a tornado. Maybe that gives me a false sense of more security. But anyway, I don't think there is a place that is truly free of the potential for disaster, or everyday cumulative risk such as pollution.
I'd certainly want more shelter than is common both public and private. But earth quakes perhaps is the danger I most would fear looking at what they do suddenly with not much warning.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Tornado Alley covers one-third of the country--and even with boundaries that wide, some of the tornado damage this past week was in the eastern part of NC, which is not in tornado alley.
About three years ago, there was a tornado that ripped through Randolph, NY, which is about 20 miles east of me. Miraculously, nobody was killed or even injured despite the fact that the thing sliced across and along a state highway, danced along the interstate for a ways, and then plunged down a hill and whipped along Main Street before departing!

Tornadoes aren't supposed to happen here, but they do on very rare occasions. Usually, when they strike in unexpected places, they are often more deadly than in Tornado Alley because most people know how to deal with them.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Every area has its hazards. The answer to tornados is a basement on the house or a storm cellar. Almost every place on earth has tornados.

The people who usually end up victims when storms happen many times are people traveling. We had a really scary night going through Texas on I-40 back in 2007. They were giving tornado warnings but we had no idea where it was or where we were. We ended up stopping to check on a hotel and missed it because we went on after the rain stopped and ended up traveling through where the tornado had hit. There was a hug truck up a tree. For miles there were emergency vehicles out in every town.

The scariest weather I have ever experienced was a flash flood in the mountains where we lived on Reddies River in Wilkes County, N. C. A wall of water about two stories high was coming toward us with its collection of trees, bushes and mud. Luckily my parents were smart and built their home on a hill. When the water got right in front of us it was almost up to Old North Carolina 16 Highway. But it was scary until we knew for sure we were above it.
I agree. I lived in a small apartment building in Lincoln, NB for 2 years in the 1970s. When the sirens went off, you sort of got dressed, grabbed your flashlight, transistor radio, and headed down to the basement where you huddled with your neighbors until they blasted the all clear.

I would not have a house without a basement or storm cellar, even living in New York.

I am much more concerned about floods than about tornadoes. Those are deadly, and if your gets flooded once, it will get flooded again, it's just a matter of time. I wouldn't buy anywhere near a creek or stream, even a little one.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I wonder about the stooges I saw that submitted a film to TV; they are filming the tornado while driving "on their way to dinner", and are freaked out about trying to avoid the tornado or few that they see; the darn system has been advertised for two days, why in the heck did they need to go out to dinner right then? The stupidity never fails to amaze me.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I am horrified by what Little Rock just went thru...in their main
suburbia! So many dead.

I couldn't stay. It is too terrifying...for me.
And it's only the beginning of the summer....
I remember the last couple years all too well....the devastation is just too much to bear.

Would u move?
No. Kansas; Zenia, Ohio; Tuscaloosa, AL; Waco, TX...after a while you have to ask yourself where will you go, and from a tornado to...what? An earthquake? A hurricane? Blizzard?.........BOREDOM?!

Today, our town (Tupelo) was torn up by a tornado. Restaurants, gas stations, cars, trucks, houses are gone. But so far no one has been reported killed.
We knew it was coming. The waiting is hard. You try to pretend you are not worried, but everyone always is.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If I could find a place where people didn't die of old age, I'd go for it.
Afghanistan?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If you look it up, a couple of the safest places in the country from natural disasters are Buffalo and Rochester, NY. No hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes and no droughts. And snow melts.
Yeah, but you'd have to live there...in Buffalo...or Rochester. grey/winter/snow/grey/grey/winter/snow

Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 723 times
Tornados scare me. I've lived in California for 40 years and have never once felt an earthquake. I've lived in Sacramento, LA, Orange County, etc. My dad was in the San Francisco one in 89 and my sister was in the Northridge one in 94, but they sustained no injuries or damages. Those are the only two big earthquakes I remember hearing about. But my friends in the Midwest have to deal with the tornado season EVERY year. That scares me much more than earthquakes.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Well having lived in south Florida for almost 35 years and have survived, hurricanes Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, Plus a dozen tropical storms and even a no named stormed that caused a lot of damage I figure if I was scared of of them I would have moved away long a ago.

We get hurricanes, tropical storms, tornados, floods, Everglades fires and pretty intense summer storms. Tornados are quick monsters that touch down here and there, Hurricanes cover large areas and are long episodes of horror for those that live through them.

I guess if I lived in tornado alley I would have to have a cellar to feel safe, since the warning is often very short. But my home is my home and every year we are on edge come the season, it is still the place I choose to live. I bet those folks in NJ and NY didn't think in a million years that a storm would effect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events