U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 PM
 
7,282 posts, read 8,394,615 times
Reputation: 11407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What is the LBGT's stance on the Donald Sterling?

I was not aware every gay person is part of a giant collective that thinks, acts, and believes as one blob.

I am gay and I think people should be able to say whatever the hell they want in a private conversation without it making national news.

Is he a dick? Clearly.
The LBGT might come out with a position but it would probably be specific to those who are Black and also LBG. That would be appropriate but also dilute their efforts and draw attention away from the happened.

What Sterling said can be universally condemned although those who took his money for so long and claim to have direct knowledge of his past behavior should probably just shut up because hypocrites are next in line and that will be the next set of big questions asked.

How many who claim to know about Sterling will dig into their bank accounts to return any money ever accepted from Sterling or disavow any accomplishments made possible because they accepted assistance from him? Even a token gesture would suffice.

I don't see a line forming anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,302 posts, read 5,850,438 times
Reputation: 5278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
I'm finding it a little discouraging that the LGBT community has not come out and publicly denounced Donald Sterling and called for his resignation as they did with Brendan Eich.

All it took was a $1000 donation from Brendan Eich to get him removed as CEO of Mozilla yet here you cleary have an employer discriminating against minorities and the LGBT community is silent?

You're way overstating the influence of (outside) LGBT advocacy organizations in the Eich case.

Mozilla was/is largely a volunteer organization of developers. Much of the influence or pressure on Mozilla to push out Eich came from their community of developers, many of whom said they would not do work for Mozilla because of his anti-gay stance. It's analogous to a team of people who quit an organization because of a bad boss. And if the boss becomes an obstacle to the organization's mission, he/she has to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,302 posts, read 5,850,438 times
Reputation: 5278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The LBGT might come out with a position but it would probably be specific to those who are Black and also LBG. That would be appropriate but also dilute their efforts and draw attention away from the happened.

What Sterling said can be universally condemned although those who took his money for so long and claim to have direct knowledge of his past behavior should probably just shut up because hypocrites are next in line and that will be the next set of big questions asked.

How many who claim to know about Sterling will dig into their bank accounts to return any money ever accepted from Sterling or disavow any accomplishments made possible because they accepted assistance from him? Even a token gesture would suffice.

I don't see a line forming anywhere.
Actually the NAACP local chapter says they are returning donations by Sterling, though it doesn't excuse their willingness to look the other way for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,542,598 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Your post implies that anyone with a cause should speak up for every cause, or none at all. It just doesn't work that way.

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,518,252 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
I'm finding it a little discouraging that the LGBT community has not come out and publicly denounced Donald Sterling and called for his resignation as they did with Brendan Eich.

All it took was a $1000 donation from Brendan Eich to get him removed as CEO of Mozilla yet here you cleary have an employer discriminating against minorities and the LGBT community is silent?

I wonder how fast he would've been skewered had he told his girlfriend not to bring any gay male friends or lesbian women friends to his games? I see no difference between that and what he actually said as they are both equally offensive and disgusting forms of discrimination and bigotry.

But I guess as long as he doesn't use the F word, H word or D word the LGBT community has no opinion or interest?

I support all minorities or people who are discriminated against because of their sexuality, race, religion, or geographic origin. Like people from the south, white and black, who don't get a fair shake because some bigoted employer who ignorantly correlates a southern accent to a sign of low intelligence. Furthest thing from the truth and it's not fair to treat them differently or deny them employment for saying y'all or whatum fixinta or tryna do.
(Lived in Lexington, Ky for 5 years)

Yet I'm amazed at the lack of outcry from the LGBT community over the "actual words" from the mouth of Donald Sterling, and the "implied intent" of the $1000.00 donation made by Brendan Eich.

I've fully supported the LGBT community at rallies, protests and parades before it was the popular thing to do. I've participated in AIDS awareness functions and helped clients who've died from AIDS yet the call to respond to all injustices they could lend their message of equality and acceptance to seem to go unanswered.

A terrorist attack in Florida is an attack on America, an attack in Kansas is an attack on America.

An attack against any minority is an attack against all minorities. We're all Americans, plain and simple.

Outcry, denouncement, and action against all bigotry and discrimination needs be as forthcoming regardless of who the intended target is. Or maybe fighting for causes that don't directly affect or pertain to me (gay rights) no longer deserve my open support.

And please, if you're going to respond to this lets have an open, intelligent dialogue and save the sarcasm and one liners class clowns still use to disguise their learning deficiencies. Share your opinion, not just your opinion of my opinion. What do YOU think, I've already expressed what I think.

*Experiment to see if the reversal of the G and B in the organizations title draws more reaction, outcry.
Uh.... I'm gay and I think he's a huge racist D-bag who needs to be fired and sent off to pasture. Happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
4,367 posts, read 6,254,273 times
Reputation: 5815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
I'm finding it a little discouraging that the LGBT community has not come out and publicly denounced Donald Sterling and called for his resignation as they did with Brendan Eich.

All it took was a $1000 donation from Brendan Eich to get him removed as CEO of Mozilla yet here you cleary have an employer discriminating against minorities and the LGBT community is silent?
First off, the former CEO of Mozilla resigned, he wasn't removed. Would he have been removed? Probably, but there is a difference between someone recognizing that they have begun to hinder the goal of an organization and leaving and someone forcing the organization to remove them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
Outcry, denouncement, and action against all bigotry and discrimination needs be as forthcoming regardless of who the intended target is. Or maybe fighting for causes that don't directly affect or pertain to me (gay rights) no longer deserve my open support.

And please, if you're going to respond to this lets have an open, intelligent dialogue and save the sarcasm and one liners class clowns still use to disguise their learning deficiencies. Share your opinion, not just your opinion of my opinion. What do YOU think, I've already expressed what I think.
If you're in the Army and battalion A is supposed to flank the enemy and battalion B is supposed to take out snipers, battalion A isn't going to be well-treated if they decide to stop and start taking out snipers.

Both things need to be done, but there are other people who have the responsibility for certain things. You're both in the same war, even the same battle, but that doesn't mean you all do the same thing - that would be both chaos and strategically stupid. So, to answer your question, most gay people are outraged by the Clippers thing, but they also know that their overly vocal support is not needed to resolve that issue. His fate does not rest on the actions of the ***** community and they are wise to not their their eyes off the ball, metaphorically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
*Experiment to see if the reversal of the G and B in the organizations title draws more reaction, outcry.
How clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: USA
18,576 posts, read 13,699,944 times
Reputation: 12148
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Uh.... I'm gay and I think he's a huge racist D-bag who needs to be fired and sent off to pasture. Happy?
Well, the LBGT rep has spoken! End of thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Delray Beach
1,136 posts, read 1,370,973 times
Reputation: 2501
o cripes!
Now we gotta be the worlds watchdogs?!

I think the man is grossly UGLY and his personality doesn't make it any better.
But, bottom line truth us, I don't give a hoot.

Let his girlfriend take it out of his booty quota!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
 
3,484 posts, read 1,700,663 times
Reputation: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
When your stated mission is to fight specifically for the rights of the LGBT community, sure you can cherry pick. They aren't saying that other minorities' fights aren't valid or worthy of fighting for. They just have to have some focus or they dilute their own efforts.
There is a well-documented history of rights advocates supporting each others' causes (sometimes more or less fervently). I think the point is that a few press releases by major LGBT orgs would not be a lot of work but would be a nice demonstration in light of current events (and would draw attention to those orgs and their ties to civil rights, broadly). I imagine this is already happening and I just haven't caught it in the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,237 posts, read 23,786,423 times
Reputation: 19892
as a "G" man, personally, I dont give a rats ass.
The man is entitled to his opinion.
It wasnt said out the window into the street, his pig GF taped him and spread the news.
he didnt go out and publically say it.

please, one of my co workers should have heard me call her a low class fat ugly slob pig today,
but she didn't, I said it to one of my friends, and why, because I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top