Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:38 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

Same league as Don Sterling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
How horrible to rip someone apart as a "joke". That's pure evil for someone rich and powerful to hate on someone downtrodden and with medical issues.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Classic overreaction. People have been jokingly making fun of others in good-natured ways for years. I see nothing particularly offensive here. How come there's apparently this unwritten rule that you can't in a good natured ribbing sort of way make a joke about ANYTHING to do with a disabled person? Get real. That's ridiculous. Handicapped people are always saying that they want to be treated like everyone else rather than everyone treating them differently. Okay then. If that's the case, take a joke like all the rest of us do. If joking about any tendencies or habits etc that they have is off-limits, then they are getting special treatment they don't deserve and it totally flies in the face of the idea that they just want to be treated the same as everyone else.

Then again, I guess I'm old school. I love watching old "Sanford and Son" episodes and seeing Fred Sanford talk about how Mexicans always get speeding tickets because they have to drive their dilapidated cars too fast so they can get where they're going before the car stalls, and I loved that clip of him mocking how the French talk all through their noses etc. We seem to have lost our ability to laugh at ourselves in that sort of way, and any behavior that's not tasteless and pushes back against this tide of political correctness, I'm all for it. I know it's not the 1970s anymore, so be it, I still say we've become too politically correct and can't take a joke about anything anymore.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Classic overreaction. People have been jokingly making fun of others in good-natured ways for years. I see nothing particularly offensive here.
Good natured? Oh, that's right you think that kicking a kid off a 10 - 15 foot ramp is good parenting.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Classic overreaction. People have been jokingly making fun of others in good-natured ways for years. I see nothing particularly offensive here. How come there's apparently this unwritten rule that you can't in a good natured ribbing sort of way make a joke about ANYTHING to do with a disabled person? Get real. That's ridiculous. If handicapped people really wanted equal treatment, then the same goes for this sort of thing. If joking about any tendencies or habits etc that they have is off-limits, then they are getting special treatment they don't deserve and it totally flies in the face of the idea that they just want to be treated the same as everyone else.
Isn't this how bullying starts? I can see the parent of a bully saying "All my kid did was...blah blah blah". Meanwhile the guy in the video is locked in his room crying about how people are always laughing at him.

Shaq is over 40 yrs old. Could he not find another way to get a laugh? The same for the other bullies.

IMO it's hypocritical that someone like Shaq get a free pass yet people are ready to protest about Donald Sterling for not wanting his GF posting pictures with blacks. Sterling's preferences for his GF hurt no one and his words influence no one. What Shaq does and says influences millions of children. Imagine how many people were laughing and ridiculing the disabled guy because of what Shaq and others did. These same people probably had the bright idea to go ridicule someone else that's different.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:04 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Default Give this guy Shaq's job

The Adreian Payne Story: How Michigan State Star Became the Ultimate Role Model | Bleacher Report

Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Now this is sad. Shaq, Waka Flocka (rapper) and Trey Burke (NBA player) all joined in and apparently their teasing received thousands of "likes".

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkyLUk119E

Very cruel and sad. I applaud the guy for seemingly not letting it get him down too much. I can't imagine how it feels to have an idol do that.

I feel there is no place for bullies like this representing the NBA.
Jamal Binyan is the better man and this goes down in history.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Not sure why everyone is surprised. He is a known racist and hypocrite. He got away with mocking Asians by saying it was a joke. Yet he demands Sterling be removed. Now he mocks handicap people and the fans and media is likely going to give him another pass. Just because he stars in Disney movies doesn't make him a harmless giant.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Typical low class behavior from an NBA player with about 2 nickles worth of intelligence rolling around in his head. And Shaq (big ol' lips and nose, goofy looking eyes) is the last person who should be criticizing a persons looks.

Quote:
People have been jokingly making fun of others in good-natured ways for years.
It's one thing to do it verbally amongst a small circle of close friends so that the joke doesn't get back to the person being made fun of. It's quite another to do it via public media.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Isn't this how bullying starts? I can see the parent of a bully saying "All my kid did was...blah blah blah". Meanwhile the guy in the video is locked in his room crying about how people are always laughing at him.

Shaq is over 40 yrs old. Could he not find another way to get a laugh? The same for the other bullies.

IMO it's hypocritical that someone like Shaq get a free pass yet people are ready to protest about Donald Sterling for not wanting his GF posting pictures with blacks. Sterling's preferences for his GF hurt no one and his words influence no one. What Shaq does and says influences millions of children. Imagine how many people were laughing and ridiculing the disabled guy because of what Shaq and others did. These same people probably had the bright idea to go ridicule someone else that's different.
can't wait for the hyper-sensitive media to make as much of a deal about this as Sterling...

you're right, Shaq has way more influence over people than Sterling does. As a black man whose been stereotyped and judged for how he looks he should have some compassion, this man has a disease and no control over his appearance, whats' next -- making fun of people with Down Syndrome ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events