U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:14 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,503,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I would have to believe that the number would be a real eye opener.
I think you are probably correct. I personally do not text and drive - my car is a stick, and I need all four limbs to drive. Also, since I know that I am not the only idiot on the road, I try to watch out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM

836 posts, read 1,309,402 times
Cell phones may now be killing more people than they save.

I just pay full attention to the road and hope for the best.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,199,006 times
It's sad and people still text so her's a suggestion that is working pretty well for me. I have to be on the phone when driving, at times, I am in outside sales.

So now Google speech to text is so good, and I have a good bluetooth headset synched to phone. What I do is wait for a red light or heavy traffic and speak it, use Google now, and no distraction now at all. What would have taken up to 60 seconds, takes less than 10 seconds and I am safe.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
one of the most important things I guess is posting on facebook when you are driving. your kidding me?

oh well, glad she killed herself and not some else.

I feel nothing for her, she was a retard.

if she wasnt posting something on facebook, that could have been done when she got home she be alive now wouldnt she?

I feel nothing for her, moron.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM

955 posts, read 1,835,715 times
Wow lots of insensitive people on this board. We all know why this young woman is dead and know she could have taken other lives with her; but for Heaven's sake, have some damn respect for the family who lost her. I am sure they are replaying her last moments in their head over and over. Yes, texting and driving is stupid, but a life was lost today, have a little bit of consideration for her family. We all do stupid things and have probably acted like idiots at some point in our lives, doesn't mean you deserve to die for it. She paid the price for her mistake. And maybe her death will bring more awarness and people will pay more attention to the things they do when they drive.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,223,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Cell phones may now be killing more people than they save.

I just pay full attention to the road and hope for the best.
Cell phones can't kill people. I guess you could try swallowing one.

Stupid people are killing themselves and unsuspecting victims.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,339,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Wow lots of insensitive people on this board. We all know why this young woman is dead and know she could have taken other lives with her; but for Heaven's sake, have some damn respect for the family who lost her. I am sure they are replaying her last moments in their head over and over. Yes, texting and driving is stupid, but a life was lost today, have a little bit of consideration for her family. We all do stupid things and have probably acted like idiots at some point in our lives, doesn't mean you deserve to die for it. She paid the price for her mistake. And maybe her death will bring more awarness and people will pay more attention to the things they do when they drive.

I agree about the insensitivity of people here and also in the comments of the article.

I feel sorry for the young woman whose life was cut short (she probably had dreams and ambitions) and her friends & family.

I hope that it does raise awareness - don't drive and text!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM

249 posts, read 338,755 times
While I feel for her relatives, I can't say that fate was unjust. I'm pedestrian who is exposed to these kinds of drivers every single day. If you can't devote 100% of your attention to that one-ton behemoth automobile you're operating, which can kill an innocent person at any time, you shouldn't be permitted to drive.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
That is my goal with the thread.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,758,958 times
I read that article, very sad.

But I can't help but think did you really NEED to post that at that moment? Can't even wait till you get to a stop light or something?

I sometimes grab my phone at a red light if I get a text or something, but if it turns green my phone gets put down and I drive. Usually it's just to do a quick read of the text and my phone does allow me to talk to it if I must reply at the moment (and it's a red light still).

I agree it seems I have to be more vigilant now as a driver than before because I also have to watch the people who are looking down while driving! COME ON!

I literally feel I have to pray before I get into my car nothing bad will happen to me on the way to or from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events