U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,132 posts, read 9,374,295 times
Reputation: 13215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You're kidding right? Saying a sport is welcoming of racists because it is comprised of mostly White players isn't racist?

Okay, lets then call it slander, repugnant, disgusting and everything but racist. The question remains, what if someone said about a Black person that they should consider Basketball because Blacks are more accepting of Blacks who use the "N" word amongst themselves?

That would not be a racist comment? If you really believe that, ok, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, as it should be.
You know, I could go back and forth with you but would it really matter? You've stated your point. I interpreted the action differently. I will say though that your example, as read verbatim, isn't the best example of what you're trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Maui County, HI
4,131 posts, read 6,083,824 times
Reputation: 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This isn't about comparing Sterling to King. This is about King.

Sterling made racist comments. Kings says he should look at Polo. That implies Polo as a sport is racist because Kings says that is where he might belong.

Pretty easy to see. If I say you are something and perhaps you should go to some other place, I'm not saying the other place is suited for you?

Clearer is person A is a racist. Person A is better suited to go over to place A. That directly implies place A is welcome of person A.

Basically, King called Polo a racist welcoming organization. How does that get read any other way? Because it was hidden in a joke? It wasn't a joke by any stretch, she had to come up with Polo. Why Polo? Because Polo isn't racially diverse? Hmmm, but is is better suited for racists?

That was exactly what King was saying, that Polo was a place suited for racists.

Racist comments hidden behind joke have been overlooked for a long time, especially when Blacks make them. Notice that Oprah Winfrey wasn't laughing and came out to make a comment?
LOL, this is ridiculous. Making a humorous observation about black dominance of basketball and white dominance of polo and the irony of Sterling owning a majority black team isn't racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
 
7,282 posts, read 8,420,605 times
Reputation: 11407
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
LOL, this is ridiculous. Making a humorous observation about black dominance of basketball and white dominance of polo and the irony of Sterling owning a majority black team isn't racism.
Unless a White person said it about a Black person. Then it wouldn't be funny or ridiculous, would it? Then it would be the first story on the evening news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 PM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
7,613 posts, read 17,701,727 times
Reputation: 8107
I saw the segment, and while I understand what the OP is saying, I did not interpret it anywhere close in the same light. I also think Charlie Rose is the poster boy for the least racist individual anyone can find. True, there is no excuse for racism in any light, but I have to say that light was really, really dim for the CBS comments. It definitely was not something to pry me away from my daily viewing of the morning crew at CBS, who deliberately stay away from tabloid-like stories. You won't see Kanye and Kim's baby or other tabloid hotties visiting CBS, they vowed to leave that off the air and I thoroughly enjoy it. Gayle and Charlie are actually really good friends, so much so, it's frequently rumored they are dating. (If anything, Nora O'Donnell is the irritant/snob). I never gave any of their comments any negative consideration and certainly nowhere on the racist radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 12,969,834 times
Reputation: 28962
I actually heard that joke twice on other TV programs but the joker said "hockey" instead of "polo." The audience laughed both times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Maui County, HI
4,131 posts, read 6,083,824 times
Reputation: 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Unless a White person said it about a Black person. Then it wouldn't be funny or ridiculous, would it? Then it would be the first story on the evening news.
What are you talking about? That's exactly what did happen. The joke was about how basketball is dominated by blacks and polo is dominated by whites. Do you not understand that? The statement is both an observation of race in basketball and polo.

Sorry but talking about race is not inherently racist. Get over it.

You went way off your rocker with this "polo is welcoming to racists" angle. You just made something up out of thin air because you have some kind of agenda against Charlie Rose, or maybe because you're one of those victim mentality whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,896 posts, read 8,315,592 times
Reputation: 16289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
In the midst of the Sterling controversy a CBS news talk anchor (Black female) Gayle King said Sterling should look at Polo as a sport, obviously meaning he'd be better off there perhaps. She then went on to say (laughing as all the anchors did including Charlie Rose) in explanation to an Oprah Winfrey who open the door from the waiting room to say something about the "Polo" comment, something to the effect, who would complain, all one of the Black Polo members? Then added, something like "all two of them?"

After Winfrey said something about it, the King said "I'll take my chances" in response to Winfrey's comments about what she had said.

This on national broadcast TV and everyone is laughing.

Oprah Winfrey wasn't laughing, that much was obvious. She knew immediately as would anyone else who watched that, the hypocrisy of those comments and the laughter that followed.

No one will say a word because of who said it. It was just another racist joke right? It has nothing to do with the racial makeup of the players of that sport, it was a racist comment plain and simple.

No one argues that what Sterling said was racist. Many will now defend what that CBS news talk anchor said as nothing more than a joke. They were all laughing. More appalling was that Charlie Rose sat by and laughed too and couldn't see the right in your face racist joke.

Winfrey got it. A shame CBS and the rest of that news talk show did not.
I don't think enough people watch CBS morning news to care. Charlie Rose is a major turn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top