Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

In the midst of the Sterling controversy a CBS news talk anchor (Black female) Gayle King said Sterling should look at Polo as a sport, obviously meaning he'd be better off there perhaps. She then went on to say (laughing as all the anchors did including Charlie Rose) in explanation to an Oprah Winfrey who open the door from the waiting room to say something about the "Polo" comment, something to the effect, who would complain, all one of the Black Polo members? Then added, something like "all two of them?"

After Winfrey said something about it, the King said "I'll take my chances" in response to Winfrey's comments about what she had said.

This on national broadcast TV and everyone is laughing.

Oprah Winfrey wasn't laughing, that much was obvious. She knew immediately as would anyone else who watched that, the hypocrisy of those comments and the laughter that followed.

No one will say a word because of who said it. It was just another racist joke right? It has nothing to do with the racial makeup of the players of that sport, it was a racist comment plain and simple.

No one argues that what Sterling said was racist. Many will now defend what that CBS news talk anchor said as nothing more than a joke. They were all laughing. More appalling was that Charlie Rose sat by and laughed too and couldn't see the right in your face racist joke.

Winfrey got it. A shame CBS and the rest of that news talk show did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 AM

For the remainder of the show, Ms. King seems visibly "off" , like someone who knew they screwed up and is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
She'll get a pass.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Mack, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but where is the racism ? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I would just like to know. To be sure, I feel that we all can be racist and not realize it. I think the Avenue Q song is definitely appropriate (check out "Everyone's a little bit racist"). I think it's also about intent...I know many Whites who die laughing from Keye & Peele and the Chappelle ripped everyone apart and most of us laughed.

I do think that hypersensitivity has created problems. But Sterling's words and actions are vile and there really is little to defend, IMO.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I saw that, but I don't see racism in what Gayle said. She was pointing out the irony that someone like Sterling, who based on his comments doesn't seem to like or respect black people very much, owning a team in a sport that is made up of a substantial number of black players. Polo, in general, does not have a diverse makeup. It was a joke, perhaps a clumsy one, but still.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM

774 posts, read 906,151 times
But in the race to appear "as concerned over racism as the next guy is" we are not addressing what Sterling was saying, just assuming he was being hateful.

This is an old, wealthy man who owns a basketball team, with a wife and a "pay for play" girlfriend. The girlfriend has the old man so hooked on her that she doesn't even go through the motions of being faithful to him.

Old man Sterling doesn't care whether or not she "cheats" on him.

The girlfriend has sex with athletes, these athletes are black.

Sterling doesn't care about that but does care that the world knows his girlfriend is unfaithful.

So he keeps asking his girlfriend to not be so open about her cheating by bringing her dates to basketball games.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
But in the race to appear "as concerned over racism as the next guy is" we are not addressing what Sterling was saying, just assuming he was being hateful.

This is an old, wealthy man who owns a basketball team, with a wife and a "pay for play" girlfriend. The girlfriend has the old man so hooked on her that she doesn't even go through the motions of being faithful to him.

Old man Sterling doesn't care whether or not she "cheats" on him.

The girlfriend has sex with athletes, these athletes are black.

Sterling doesn't care about that but does care that the world knows his girlfriend is unfaithful.

So he keeps asking his girlfriend to not be so open about her cheating by bringing her dates to basketball games.
You will waste your breath trying to break down what he was actually saying. It has already been deemed hateful/reprehensible/deplorable/repugnant and no one wants cares about context.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Mack, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but where is the racism ? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I would just like to know. To be sure, I feel that we all can be racist and not realize it. I think the Avenue Q song is definitely appropriate (check out "Everyone's a little bit racist"). I think it's also about intent...I know many Whites who die laughing from Keye & Peele and the Chappelle ripped everyone apart and most of us laughed.

I do think that hypersensitivity has created problems. But Sterling's words and actions are vile and there really is little to defend, IMO.
This isn't about comparing Sterling to King. This is about King.

Sterling made racist comments. Kings says he should look at Polo. That implies Polo as a sport is racist because Kings says that is where he might belong.

Pretty easy to see. If I say you are something and perhaps you should go to some other place, I'm not saying the other place is suited for you?

Clearer is person A is a racist. Person A is better suited to go over to place A. That directly implies place A is welcome of person A.

Basically, King called Polo a racist welcoming organization. How does that get read any other way? Because it was hidden in a joke? It wasn't a joke by any stretch, she had to come up with Polo. Why Polo? Because Polo isn't racially diverse? Hmmm, but is is better suited for racists?

That was exactly what King was saying, that Polo was a place suited for racists.

Racist comments hidden behind joke have been overlooked for a long time, especially when Blacks make them. Notice that Oprah Winfrey wasn't laughing and came out to make a comment?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Philadelphia inner-city students follow unusual path, learn to play polo and win a national title - ESPN

The place to send racists?

Maybe this was what King was referring to?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:20 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That was exactly what King was saying, that Polo was a place suited for racists.
No, she was saying that if Sterling doesn't like black people, he should put his money in a sport less frequently played by black people, like polo. Taking that to mean that polo must be welcoming of racists is missing the joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events