U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM

2,739 posts, read 2,488,290 times

Advertisements

The EU and other countries have put an export ban on all drugs used in capital punishment, which means any drug used by the US to put someone to death will with immediate effect become banned and which is why the US is having to experiment with different cocktails of drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Week

Lethal injection has been in used in most of the 1,237 executions that have taken place in the US since 1976, according to the Wall Street Journal. Most involve an anaesthetic called sodium thiopental, which renders the prisoner unconscious before two other drugs are administered, one to cause paralysis and the other to stop the heart.

But an EU ban on exporting sodium thiopental has led state execution officials to start "improvising" with new, untested drugs, reports USA Today.

Hospira, the only manufacturer of sodium thiopental in the US, stopped producing the sedative there in 2011 due to increasing pressure from anti-death penalty activists. It has told prison officials it opposes the drug's use in lethal procedures, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Production was moved to Italy, where there was further opposition from the Italian government over the use of the drug in lethal injections. The EU, which opposes the death penalty and the use of torture, introduced strict export controls in late 2011 to prevent drugs that could be used in executions from reaching the US.

Those rules also affected the supply of an alternative to sodium thiopental, called pentobarbital, which stops the lungs from working. It is manufactured in Denmark and the company that makes it has banned its use in executions. As pentobarbital only has a shelf-life of 18 months, existing stocks of that drug are now expired.

Botched execution: why US has turned to untried drugs | News | The Week UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Stateman

Propofol, used up to 50 million times a year in US surgical procedures, has never been used in an execution. If the execution had gone ahead, US hospitals could have lost access to the drug because 90 percent of the US supply is made and exported by a German company subject to European Union (EU) regulations that restrict the export of medicines and devices that could be used for capital punishment or torture. Fearing a ban on propofol sales to the United States, in 2012 the drug’s manufacturer, Fresenius Kabi in Bad Homburg, ordered its US distributors not to provide the drug to prisons.

“The European Union is serious,” says David Lubarsky, head of the anaesthesiology department at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in Florida. “They’ve already shown that with thiopental. If we go down this road with propofol, a lot of good people who need anaesthesia are going to be harmed.”

New Statesman | US prisons, foiled by an EU boycott, are turning to untested drugs in executions

Europe's moral stand has U.S. states running out of execution drugs, complicating capital punishment - CBS News
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times

Europeans largely consider the death penalty a particularly brutal American anachronism, but the prolonged death of Clayton D. Lockett in Oklahoma, after a botched execution by lethal injection, produced more than the usual horror on Wednesday.

The death penalty is banned in the European Union, which has also moved to ban the export of sedatives like sodium thiopental for use in lethal injections. The drug’s producer has stopped making it, and other European companies have sought to prevent their drugs from being used for executions, fearing European Union sanctions. As a result, the authorities in Oklahoma, and officials in other states, have been improvising new mixtures of drugs.

Outrage Across Ideological Spectrum in Europe Over Flawed Lethal Injection in U.S.

Botched Death Shows Problems of Lethal Injection -- NYMag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
My two paragraphs were separate issues. I didn't mean to imply that you, specifically, used only parts of the bible to support your position.

To be clear; you're saying that god only punishes for capital crimes, but not for anything else? So for capital crimes we shouldn't prosecute? How would that work? I'm unclear on this.
The God I happen to believe (or hope) in doesn't have "capital crimes". That's a human concept. You are hung up on the phrase or legal concept.

I am merely saying this, from my own conviction, and that of others, from what I have heard: We don't have the place, the authority, to decide when someone dies simply because they did a terrible thing. This is not our place as humans to take away a life when that life is no longer holding a gun to us, abusing a child, etc. That human can be dealt with by keeping him or her away from those they can hurt and also I feel we are obligated to try to do at least SOMETHING to rehabilitate them. Rehabilitation does not equal freedom. It's a concept apart from imprisonment or freedom. It is simply what I wrote: rehabilitation of a morally broken person, or perhaps mentally ill person. (The majority of prisoners today, I have read, are also mentally ill.) I just cannot accept that we have the right to take a defenseless life. This is a spiritual and moral belief. You may not share it. I do. I feel that this decision, whether the person dies now or later, God must decide, not us. I consider it to be murder if we kill someone who is not attacking us. Again, it is up to God to give and to take away life. Not us.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,707,005 times
I'm not going to bother reading 22 pages, but I am going to say. That POOR child killer! The POOR guy had a heart attack! Oh no! I feel SOOOO badly for him! OMG! Someone should sue for HIS pain and suffering!

Bullsht. I hope he went painfully. Very painfully. I hope he knew what was happening. I hope it lasted a long time. Two wrongs don't make a right? That is an incorrect statement. Our planet is becoming ever more populated. We don't have room for biological trash like this. None. There is no reason this garbage waste of matter deserved to breathe our air. None. I can;t believe people disagree. Makes no sense at all.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,719,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
The God I happen to believe (or hope) in doesn't have "capital crimes". That's a human concept. You are hung up on the phrase or legal concept.

I am merely saying this, from my own conviction, and that of others, from what I have heard: We don't have the place, the authority, to decide when someone dies simply because they did a terrible thing. This is not our place as humans to take away a life when that life is no longer holding a gun to us, abusing a child, etc. That human can be dealt with by keeping him or her away from those they can hurt and also I feel we are obligated to try to do at least SOMETHING to rehabilitate them. Rehabilitation does not equal freedom. It's a concept apart from imprisonment or freedom. It is simply what I wrote: rehabilitation of a morally broken person, or perhaps mentally ill person. (The majority of prisoners today, I have read, are also mentally ill.) I just cannot accept that we have the right to take a defenseless life. This is a spiritual and moral belief. You may not share it. I do. I feel that this decision, whether the person dies now or later, God must decide, not us. I consider it to be murder if we kill someone who is not attacking us. Again, it is up to God to give and to take away life. Not us.
Does that mean God asked the guy to rape, kill, etc, only to maybe, just maybe, firgive him? No. That man decided all by himself. No good God would let his children act that way! So if such guys can make drastic decisions (ie kill another human being), so can other people! Thus laws authorizing death penalty.
God should stay out of the equation here, honestly.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,552,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Leave the forgiving up to God...society doesn't have to forgive a cold blooded killer...you take a life you forfeit yours...
That's correct. Crime is forgiveable. In the religious sense. In the legal sense, not so much.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,582,189 times
Quote:

Fortunately I'm only concerned with what is known, here, in front of me. What may or may not happen in the supposed afterlife is not my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Leave the forgiving up to God...society doesn't have to forgive a cold blooded killer...you murder you forfeit yours...
Agreed, with the exception of where I changed your post. I just read of a man who shot and killed an armed robbery in a diner. He took a life, but did not murder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
That's correct. Crime is forgiveable. In the religious sense. In the legal sense, not so much.
And the two should be kept separate. Until the existence of a god is proven, reliance on "his word" should not be part of the legal system.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,834,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
You people are no better than the murderer.

Why not just stone them to death.

Pot, meet kettle.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:13 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,834,283 times
Quote:

I am merely saying this, from my own conviction, and that of others, from what I have heard: We don't have the place, the authority, to decide when someone dies simply because they did a terrible thing.

If you believe in the one true God, then you should know that the Bible contains His commandment for humans to execute those who have murdered.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,552,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
You people are no better than the murderer.

Why not just stone them to death.
I beg your pardon. I have never committed a heinous crime of any kind. This 'creep' did and deserved what he got. Injection, electricity, gas, hanging, stoning. Whichever works for me.

Go cry on someone elses shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or