Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
This has been researched extensively. Whether a society has a death penalty or not has no effect on the murder rate. People butcher each other in the heat of a moment, for the most part. Nobody stops and thinks, uh oh, I might get executed if I pull the trigger. Capital punishment serves no practical purpose, it is pure retribution.
That isn't true. The only reason this comes up is because the person likely to commit another murder is executed and therefore the likelihood that person murders again is dead.

The risk to society is that if there is no death penalty, then those people could be in a position to kill again and lets not forget that killing another human being such as another inmate or prison official is still another murder.

The people who make the claim that the death penalty doesn't affect the murder rates can only make that claim because to prove otherwise means allowing for the circumstances to exist that the murderer to be executed remains alive instead and they know that where death penalties are a form of punishment the government must err on the side of caution and the protection of the public.

The people against the death penalty that claim executions do not affect the murder rate have the luxury of risking the lives of other people to make their point.

Very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Actually it is not even much of a punishment, at least not relative to life in prison. Once the person is dead he/she no longer is being punished - it is over. The punishment only lasts the length of time between sentencing and execution. If you really want to punish someone, make it last as long as possible - until they die of natural causes in prison.

Works for me. Prison is no country club.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
I think this incident has brought up a really good talking point in how we can make capital punishment not only more effective but also more eco-friendly.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this but what if death row inmates were simply forced to walk up a ramp, and into a giant, industrial grade wood chipper. The inmate slurry could be used to fertilize farm fields that feed millions. Corn crops, cabbage, carrots, everything. Completely natural, non-polluting, and great for the environment.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:03 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
I think this incident has brought up a really good talking point in how we can make capital punishment not only more effective but also more eco-friendly.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this but what if death row inmates were simply forced to walk up a ramp, and into a giant, industrial grade wood chipper. The inmate slurry could be used to fertilize farm fields that feed millions. Corn crops, cabbage, carrots, everything. Completely natural, non-polluting, and great for the environment.
Soylent Green ?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM

58 posts, read 76,272 times
And now the fine folks in Oklahoma get to spend even more money on this dirt bag now that they've opened the door for a lawsuit on this murders behalf.

7 guns, 7 shooters, 6 bullets, 1 blank.

And do it on the courthouse steps at 1pm! Let the news crew point out the skull fragments and blood stains of those previously executed on those same courthouse steps for heinous crimes.

Do it right or do it twice!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
OK, I apologize. I happen to like snakes. I should edit my post to read cockroach instead of reptile.

I can live with that!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The same Constitution of the United States that gives us the right to speak freely and to gather in peaceful assembly and to bear arms in a well regulated militia, and freedom of religion and from religion, all the rights associated with due process.....ALSO forbids the use of cruel or unusual punishment.

To use experimental drugs to induce such pain and suffering that death comes from a heart attack rather than the court authorized execution is cruel and unusual. We are supposed to be better than the criminal.

Those calling for executions following torture....obviously don't put much stock in the US Constitution. I wonder if they would be as willing to see any of the other rights taken away. I wonder how they would feel if it were themselves or a loved one who was wrongfully convicted that was being tortured to death.
^^^ I agree!

I any event as a nation of civilized individuals, our society should be better than this type of botched execution. I would only hope that something positive comes out of understanding why it happened. We cannot justify why people do horrible things in their life but we can at least be better than that when it comes to ending their life. We all will be judged on how we do things individually and collectively, I hope I’m not in the wrong group.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Good. He deserved to suffer. Why should he simply go to sleep while that poor girl suffocated and bled to death? Karma!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
The man raped this poor girl in every conceivable way. Shoved foreign objects inside her causing severe trauma, mutilated her body, beat her, then shot her. He buried her alive and while conscious.

I hope that Mother F***** suffered beyond comprehension.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
This concept of a nice clean sanitary execution done as a medical procedure, is insane. the idea should be to kill the prisoner at the lowest cost possible. If we are going to have executions what is the point in trying to make them "User Friendly".

An execution is an execution it is not a dental appointment.

The person is supposed to know he is being executed, not drugged up and put to sleep like a sick puppy.

Torture no, but at the same time no reason to make an execution a sanitized form of painless anesthesia.

Either have an execution or outlaw executions. This comfortable, prisoner approved execution only increases the courts willingness to use the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events