Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Most on death row have been sitting around and eating up tax dollars for years. Their sentence should be carried out in 30 days. Appeals? If not within 30 days, too bad. I wouldn't expect more if it were me and it was the law. How many people are executed in a decade as it is? Very few. Ramp it up and make them public.

Hanging is quick and efficient. A 10-15' drop would end all of the humane nonsense. How is killing someone humane anyway? Ask the murderer that question before you put the noose around his neck.
You'd favor thirty days of appeals until your friend or a relative ended up on death row. Than you'd squawk like crazy to change the system.

Our current system is flawed and the best evidence is that 4% of the people on death row are innocent. If we didn't have a long appeals process than those people would be dead. However, who cares? Just so long as we execute somebody for a crime its all right isn't it? Geez.

I can cite half a dozen instances of innocent people who only established their innocence during the last round of appeals they were entitled too. Our system is about more than simply killing somebody. Its about seeing that we actually execute the right person after a murder has been convicted. In the "lynch mob" mentality that I see here, a lot of you seem to have lost sight of that simple fact.

The idea that you can run a competent system with thirty days of appeals is so stupid its barely worth a reply too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
And others of us find opinions like yours and the existence of the death penalty to be an "embarrassment."

You are what - the mind of God, now? You know that this individual in hell? Perhaps he was a Christian and he repented.

Then according to Christianity, he's saved.

Upon what moral authority does Warren Zee base his embarrassment of that which God commanded?

"Whoever sheds human blood, by humans shall their blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made mankind."
- Genesis 9:6 NIV

Life in prison? Not according to God.

"Do not accept a ransom for the life of a murderer, who deserves to die. They are to be put to death."
Numbers 35:31 NIV

Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Are you sick? Why would you want to terrify anyone? Does that thought make you happy?

Think about what you are saying. Because is sounds awful.
The South has always seemed to take particular glee in killing its citizens, legally (with capital punishment) or illegally (the KKK). They even like to give pet names to their instruments of death, like "old sparky". What is ironic, or perhaps telling, is that the South also is known for strong Christian values. How Christian values are reconciled with killing (er, executing) people is beyond me.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
And others of us find opinions like yours and the existence of the death penalty to be an "embarrassment."

You are what - the mind of God, now? You know that this individual in hell? Perhaps he was a Christian and he repented.

Then according to Christianity, he's saved.
I have to be the mind of god to know that a person who commits a rape and a live burial belongs in hell? Really, could you be anymore or a puerile snob?

Terrific logic. We shouldn't have reciprocal justice on this earth because he might have repented.

Whatever.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
How Christian values are reconciled with killing (er, executing) people is beyond me.
Start in Genesis, and keep going through the end of Romans. It won't be beyond you anymore.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Start in Genesis, and keep going through the end of Romans. It won't be beyond you anymore.
"Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth"? That is the Old Testament. Jesus preached a better way for humans to treat each other.

Romans in the New Testament of course has: "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord". In other words, God is the one to mete out punishment.

So how is the death penalty consistent with the teachings of Jesus?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The South has always seemed to take particular glee in killing its citizens, legally (with capital punishment)
Ron White - Death Penalty - Blue Collar comedy tour: the movie - YouTube

Old 05-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
"Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth"? That is the Old Testament. Jesus preached a better way for humans to treat each other.
Back up two verses, to verse 28:

"Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses." - Hebrews 10:28 NIV

And don't be so quick to dismiss the Old Testament.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17-19 NIV

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
In other words, God is the one to mete out punishment.
"Whoever sheds human blood, by humans shall their blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made mankind." Genesis 9:6 NIV

Notice that in Exodus, God does not say "I will cause him to fall dead," rather, He commands humans to carry out His instructions.

"Anyone who strikes a person with a fatal blow is to be put to death." - Exodus 21:12

"But if anyone schemes and kills someone deliberately, that person is to be taken from my altar and put to death." - Exodux 21:14

Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 PM

92 posts, read 101,752 times
Ick. The replies to this thread are quite unfortunate. #sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events