Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times

Advertisements

I think the issue is not to traumatize the executioners by seeing the subject suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I don't have sympathy for this guy and even less for the next guy that had his execution held off.
This guy shot and buried that 19 year old woman alive in 1997! What took so long to get him to the table to die?
What we need is an "angel of death" that visits convicted murderers in their cells in the dead of night and kills them.
Or give the death row inmate a choice when he first arrives there facing years of confinement. Put a pill in their cell and if they want to end their misery they take it.
I have had old sick pets at the end of their life euthanised quickly and humanely at the Vets. Why is a human any different?

To be sure of a quick death I say bring back hanging, firing squad ( you could even use a robotic setup so no one feels bad) or why not bring back the Guilotine.
These murderers don't think anything of the pain and suffering they heap upon their victims so why do we need to care if they suffer?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
The same Constitution of the United States that gives us the right to speak freely and to gather in peaceful assembly and to bear arms in a well regulated militia, and freedom of religion and from religion, all the rights associated with due process.....ALSO forbids the use of cruel or unusual punishment.

To use experimental drugs to induce such pain and suffering that death comes from a heart attack rather than the court authorized execution is cruel and unusual. We are supposed to be better than the criminal.

Those calling for executions following torture....obviously don't put much stock in the US Constitution. I wonder if they would be as willing to see any of the other rights taken away. I wonder how they would feel if it were themselves or a loved one who was wrongfully convicted that was being tortured to death.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I never understand why they execute people the way they do.. can't they just give them anesthesia so they get put unconscious in a humane manner? As for all the people hoping they suffer, two wrongs don't make a right...
It's not about making it right, which can never happen when someone is murdered. It's about the murderer having given up all of his rights when he took someone else's life. He deserves nothing but death. The taxpayers do not deserve to foot his bills. Keeping him alive serves no purpose but to drain society of resources much better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Americans want to kill criminals but want to do it non violently, very odd. Thus our use of cockamamie and complicated killing methods such as electrocution and poisoning by gas or chemicals rather than simple beheading, hanging or gunshot. Very hypocritical.
It is silly to jump through all of these hoops. We're so concerned that the convicted may experience a nanosecond of discomfort.

As for that 4% nonsense, those are convictions, not executions. That number is an extrapolation, which can be evidenced by the use of the word "may" in the title of the article. It's an educated guess. Modern convictions are much more likely to be accurate than earlier ones.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
this was stated by someone who the murderer let live that day but he watched the murder.

Quote:
Bornt wrote a letter Feb. 7 stating: "Clayton being put to death by lethal injection is almost too easy of a way to die after what he did to us. ... He will just be strapped to the table and will go to sleep and his heart will stop beating."
I bet he's a little bit happier hearing how he died. For those who don't know what went down that day: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/court...17a14417b.html

I'm surprised that it seems this "animal" would've let her live had she just complied. The other 2 lived because they said they would comply.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think the issue is not to traumatize the executioners by seeing the subject suffer.
I disagree. There are very few civilized countries that have the death penalty. We are in the shrinking minority of Iran, Iraq, N. Korea and Communist China and perhaps a couple of other African countries, that still have the death penalty.

I think we don't have the firing squad or electric chair or gas chambers is because the reaction would be that juries would refuse to convict on capital crimes. If it can be accomplished clinically on a hospital gurney....they are absolved of some of the guilt or at least of the guilty feelings and nagging doubts.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 AM

154 posts, read 215,431 times
Let's hope it suffered.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I disagree. There are very few civilized countries that have the death penalty.
So?

Relative to the 14,000+ murders committed here yearly, the death penalty is implemented so little that we hardly "have" it.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM

154 posts, read 215,431 times
Somebody should call the S.P.C.A.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:16 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
Somebody should call the S.P.C.A.
Or PETA. PETA will be incensed over the squashing of this lowlife, venomous reptile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events