Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times

Advertisements

He was a murderer, he put someone else through a horrible, painful death and he put that person's loved ones through a lifetime of misery by taking away the one they loved. So I don't see any issue with this being rather long and painful for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Sounds like it was successful to me. He died didn't he? If it's an issue, just lop off their heads. Quick and efficient.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I imagine he suffered substantially less than the girl who was shot and buried alive.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Sounds like it was successful to me. He died didn't he? If it's an issue, just lop off their heads. Quick and efficient.
If this was done in public and televised maybe some of these would be murders who thinks a little before they killed someone.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Or PETA. PETA will be incensed over the squashing of this lowlife, venomous reptile.
I don't appreciate your comment at all. Reptiles don't make conscious decisions to be what they are. They just are.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If this was done in public and televised maybe some of these would be murders who thinks a little before they killed someone.
They wouldn't actually. The thing about people who choose this lifestyle, and it is a lifestyle choice, is that they never think they will be caught. And I'm sure those who have been have gotten away with much more than they were ever charged with. So there really is no deterrent to crime other than what is already inside of the individual that guides them to the choices they make.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One in 25 criminal defendants who has been handed a death sentence in the United States has likely been erroneously convicted. That number—4.1% to be exact—comes from a new analysis of more than 3 decades of data on death sentences and death row exonerations across the United States.
More Than 4% of Death Row Inmates May Be Innocent | Science/AAAS | News
The fact that death row inmates are having their sentences overturned seems to support the notion that the system works. If there were no convictions overturned, then I'd be more than a little troubled.

From everything I've read, there has only been one case in our modern era where an innocent person was most likely executed; however, in that case the guy practically committed suicide. It was a case where extreme coincidence and along with him doing everything to protect his friend (the actual murderer) caused the wrong outcome. But, when you know your buddy, who looks just like you and was with you at the time of the murder, was the person who murdered a defenseless woman over nothing, it's not wise to protect him when your taken into custody and charged with the murder. Waiting until after you've been convicted to say, "Ok, now that I'm actually convicted, I no longer want to protect my friend, the true murderer."

Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002 View Post
AOL.com Article - Man dies of heart attack after botched execution

My reply to this is who cares? Did he care when he shot that girl and buried her alive?

I'm just sorry the next POS who raped and killed an innocent 11 month old baby couldn't be executed right after him.

Agreed.

If there is that much to debate regarding lethal injection and the pain it causes inmates maybe all states should go to firing squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
It was not botched, he is dead. I think they waste too much time with needles, a injection of 230 grains of lead behind the ear and it is lights out at 700+ feet per second

Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The fact that death row inmates are having their sentences overturned seems to support the notion that the system works. If there were no convictions overturned, then I'd be more than a little troubled.

From everything I've read, there has only been one case in our modern era where an innocent person was most likely executed; however, in that case the guy practically committed suicide. It was a case where extreme coincidence and along with him doing everything to protect his friend (the actual murderer) caused the wrong outcome. But, when you know your buddy, who looks just like you and was with you at the time of the murder, was the person who murdered a defenseless woman over nothing, it's not wise to protect him when your taken into custody and charged with the murder. Waiting until after you've been convicted to say, "Ok, now that I'm actually convicted, I no longer want to protect my friend, the true murderer."
Even if you assume for argument's sake, that the system is effective in keeping innocent people from being executed this is an extremely superficial opinion. Consider all the other drawbacks to the death penalty.

1. The stress on an innocent person and his family who spends years on death row.
2. The stress on judges and jurors who know that a mistake could result in an innocent person dying.
3. The stress on prison officials who must carry out a sentence whether a person is innocent or guilty.
4. The stress on the prosecutor and defense attorneys who know that innocent people do sometimes get railroaded to the death house.

When the alternative is life without parole and it costs less to give someone this sentence rather than execute them, just how good does the death penalty look?

Serving a life sentence for a crime you didn't commit certainly is wrong too. However, at least while the person is alive, there is always the possibility they may still be vindicated and released from prison. Life without parole removes offenders from society and prevents innocent people from being executed.

I can make room for the death penalty in cases where there is virtually no uncertainty in an offender's guilt. But we are still sentencing people to death based on things like false confessions and bad eyewitness identifications. That just isn't acceptable anymore.

Last edited by markg91359; 04-30-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Even if you assume for argument's sake, that the system is effective in keeping innocent people from being executed this is an extremely superficial opinion. Consider all the other drawbacks to the death penalty.

1. The stress on an innocent person who spends years on death row.
2. The stress on judges and jurors who know that a mistake could result in an innocent person dying.
3. The stress on prison officials who must carry out a sentence whether a person is innocent or guilty.
4. The stress on the prosecutor and defense attorneys who know that innocent people do sometimes get railroaded to the death house.

When the alternative is life without parole and it costs less to give someone this sentence rather than execute them, just how good does the death penalty look?

Serving a life sentence for a crime you didn't commit certainly is wrong too. However, at least while the person is alive, there is always the possibility they may still be vindicated and released from prison. Life without parole removes offenders from society and prevents innocent people from being executed.

I can make room for the death penalty in cases where there is virtually no uncertainty in an offender's guilt. But we are still sentencing people to death based on things like false confessions and bad eyewitness identifications. That just isn't acceptable anymore.
When the governor of Illinois suspended the death penalty several years ago, that was after a couple of cases in which those convicted were found innocent, then an investigation of others on death row discovered that a good many were convicted with absolutely no physical (circumstantial) evidence or witnesses whatsoever, only spurious confessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events