U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2014, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Reputation: 2961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
.

There are still people alive today that were incarcerated for their race by the US gov. Asians during WW2. Their culture demands success, starting with gradeschool. They are doing just fine.
Your whole post is great, but I'd just like to share in case you or others don't know, (and this makes your point further) that during WW2 not only Japanese Americans were interned in camps but also Italian Americans and German Americans.

whenever this is brought up people on talk about the Japanese Americans that were interned, but never the other two sets of people. I'd bet many Americans don't even know about the Italians and Germans that were locked up.


But hey, they were white Europeans who had every advantage in America's racist culture right?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Just to further simplify this argument. Asians were discriminated against a great deal, the extent of which is much less well known(or pubilcized). The civil rights act is seen today as benefiting blacks but it eliminated many of the same issues against asians. See Takao Ozawa v. United States.
Voting rights, marriage rules, employment and property rights were issues that they had to deal with. Why do they not show any of the long lasting effects of racism like other cultures? They suffered institutionalized racism for over a century.

Affirmative Action in regards to university admissions is and has been for decades reverse discrimination towards Asians. There a cap on the number of Asians allowed and if it weren't for that they'd be way more admitted to the better universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 AM
 
3,009 posts, read 3,014,632 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Just to further simplify this argument. Asians were discriminated against a great deal, the extent of which is much less well known(or pubilcized). The civil rights act is seen today as benefiting blacks but it eliminated many of the same issues against asians. See Takao Ozawa v. United States.
Voting rights, marriage rules, employment and property rights were issues that they had to deal with. Why do they not show any of the long lasting effects of racism like other cultures? They suffered institutionalized racism for over a century.

Asian are awesome there overcome a lot I am talking about the first Asian immigrants. People need to go Google how the railroad was built and who built it. The Asians were payed slaves for the most part.

Well it is something like 80% of Asian children grow up with a father in the home just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 PM
 
2,093 posts, read 3,417,237 times
Reputation: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
No. He's just venting his anger. And trying to be provocative, too. I could care less. I am white and don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: NY
774 posts, read 736,832 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
No. He's just venting his anger. And trying to be provocative, too. I could care less. I am white and don't care.
Whites have been good to him. America's been good to him. Nobody stood in his way, he has his strength, his looks, his health, his woman, his money so life has been good to him.

And he knows it real well!

Anger? What anger? More like he's trying to be trendy since trendy makes him even more of all the good things he has.

Because if Jay Z is angry about anything then Jay Z is DELUDED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Yes, I believe Jay Z picks out his clothes. He even said the medallion had meaning to him. So your defense is that's he's stupid?
(Sorry, missed this message until now)

No, he actually gave a non-answer. When asked if it meant anything to him, he said "A little bit." Period. Nothing further. He gave a non-answer that did not actually confirm that he knew what it meant. I think he didn't know what it meant, and he didn't want to sound like he didn't know what it meant. So whether or not he's stupid (I honestly don't know), I think he was ignorant to the meaning of the medallion. To be fair, I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the population is ignorant to the meaning of the medallion.

And I seriously doubt that he or Bey pick out their clothes. They are sent to them by designers and stylists, and their assistants lay the outfits out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
(Sorry, missed this message until now)

No, he actually gave a non-answer. When asked if it meant anything to him, he said "A little bit." Period. Nothing further.
You can say that's a non-answer, but it's certainly NOT.

If a white person in his position wore a similar medallion and it mean "a little bit" to them - poop would hit the fan and Armageddon would ensue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You can say that's a non-answer, but it's certainly NOT.

If a white person in his position wore a similar medallion and it mean "a little bit" to them - poop would hit the fan and Armageddon would ensue.
How do you know he actually knew what it meant???? You don't.

A real answer would have been "Yes, to me it means .... " But that's not what he said.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely NOT a Jay Z or Beyonce fan. But I don't believe he had a clue about that medallion. He's not going to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
How do you know he actually knew what it meant???? You don't.
I'm not in the game of speculating. He said it meant "a little bit" to him. I will take his word for it instead of speculating about scenarios where he says one thing and means another.

Quote:
A real answer would have been "Yes, to me it means .... " But that's not what he said.
*in your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm not in the game of speculating. He said it meant "a little bit" to him. I will take his word for it instead of speculating about scenarios where he says one thing and means another.
But you ARE speculating. That is EXACTLY what you are doing. Don't you get that?!? You are speculating that he knows something that he did not actually exhibit that he knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: NY
774 posts, read 736,832 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You can say that's a non-answer, but it's certainly NOT.

If a white person in his position wore a similar medallion and it mean "a little bit" to them - poop would hit the fan and Armageddon would ensue.
Someone in his position and world is not going to be unaware about such things.

He knows what the medallion means and why he's wearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top