U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,163 posts, read 15,988,005 times
Reputation: 9182

Advertisements

With all the bad news we hear and see everyday, and the tone of many of the threads in this forum, it's good to read heartwarming stories like this. It gives me real faith in our future. Way to go Isaiah!

9-Year-Old’s Conn. Letter to Police Gets Response - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Florida
725 posts, read 1,326,191 times
Reputation: 1146
They could have printed a clearer copy of the letter, or at least a "translation" of it.
Good article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,836 posts, read 3,789,490 times
Reputation: 5015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
With all the bad news we hear and see everyday, and the tone of many of the threads in this forum, it's good to read heartwarming stories like this. It gives me real faith in our future. Way to go Isaiah!

9-Year-Olds Conn. Letter to Police Gets Response - ABC News
It doesn't give me much faith in the public schools ability to teach children how to write legibly. I was that age in the fifties and I distinctly remember spending what seemed to be an eternity practicing on lined paper for the first couple years of grade school.

Maybe we need to get away from the keyboard a little more in schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,841,174 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It doesn't give me much faith in the public schools ability to teach children how to write legibly. I was that age in the fifties and I distinctly remember spending what seemed to be an eternity practicing on lined paper for the first couple years of grade school.

Maybe we need to get away from the keyboard a little more in schools.
I feel sorry for you if that is the only thing you got out of that article.

(PS: Kids did have bad handwriting back in your stone ages as well. It's nothing new....and how neat one's handwriting says nothing about how intelligent or what kinds of a person they may be. Some of the most brilliant people on the planet have chicken-scratch, and some dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks (and about as useful) types have very beautiful penmanship.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,518,450 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy
With all the bad news we hear and see everyday, and the tone of many of the threads in this forum, it's good to read heartwarming stories like this. It gives me real faith in our future. Way to go Isaiah!
The letter brought me to tears........ Then when I saw a picture of him I wanted to give him a big hug and tell him it was gonna be ok!!


God bless him and his family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
 
3,445 posts, read 4,847,073 times
Reputation: 6083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I feel sorry for you if that is the only thing you got out of that article.

(PS: Kids did have bad handwriting back in your stone ages as well. It's nothing new....and how neat one's handwriting says nothing about how intelligent or what kinds of a person they may be. Some of the most brilliant people on the planet have chicken-scratch, and some dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks (and about as useful) types have very beautiful penmanship.)

You're just making excuses for the poor state of education in this country. You don't have to have beautiful penmanship but you should have adequate skills that, at least, allow others to read.

Ive seen 4 year olds write better than that child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,799 posts, read 28,676,797 times
Reputation: 14687
that kid is lucky that the cops didn't come and shoot him, his grandma and his dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 03:08 PM
 
3,445 posts, read 4,847,073 times
Reputation: 6083
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that kid is lucky that the cops didn't come and shoot him, his grandma and his dog.
That's a little severe for poor penmanship. I would think tazing would be enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 PM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,518,450 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ
that kid is lucky that the cops didn't come and shoot him, his grandma and his dog.
Ya with the way COPS are now??

Yer right!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
2,535 posts, read 2,711,285 times
Reputation: 3871
Not even going to bother reading the letter. Way too hard to read. My 6 year old writes better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top