U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM

861 posts, read 945,781 times

Advertisements

The only thing the NFL cares about is can he hit the receiver streaking down the sidelines.

After all, several players continued playing in NFL after killing people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,305,521 times
It could be he truly just forgot.

I had a sick child, needed pedialyte, rushed to the drug store, grabbed the pedialyte and started driving home b/f I realized that I had not paid for it! Of course, it was at night, I was exhausted and not thinking straight. I turned around and ran back in and grabbed a clerk and explained what happened. No one had even noticed! Dear me.

So it can happen . . .

Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM

7,191 posts, read 7,527,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I had a sick child, needed pedialyte, rushed to the drug store, grabbed the pedialyte and started driving home b/f I realized that I had not paid for it! Of course, it was at night, I was exhausted and not thinking straight. I turned around and ran back in and grabbed a clerk and explained what happened. No one had even noticed! Dear me.

So it can happen . . .
This
After hearing the full story I've kinda changed my view of the situation.

allegedly the story
Quote:
Essentially, Cameron says that Winston, with his long-distance girlfriend in town, went to get some wings and crab legs. He went to Publix, ordered the crab legs, then left to go to Hobbit Hoagies for wings (down the road, which he paid for), then came back to Publix, with the car running in the rain to grab the crab legs. He got some butter, and the crab legs, and was mobbed for autographs by fans in the Publix (this is not uncommon around town as Winston is a huge celebrity). Cameron notes that Winston was mistaken in thinking he could quickly go in and out of any place in Tallahassee without signing autographs and taking pictures.
Winston signs autographs, takes pictures, gets distracted, puts the butter down in doing so, picks up the crab legs, and calmly walks out of Publix talking to a police officer, crab in hand, not trying to hide anything. When he gets home, he realizes he didn't get the butter for his crab legs, and realizes he didn't pay for the crab legs. He doesn't go back to pay for them, and admitted as much. If Winston were trying to shoplift, he probably doesn't walk out, crab legs in hand, talking with a police officer. It's possible, but unlikely.
It's worth noting that Publix was close to closing time, the weather in Tallahassee Tuesday night was nasty (raining a bunch), and that Winston's girlfriend, whom he does not get to see all that often, was in town. Those aren't necessarily excuses for not going back, but are perhaps reasons why someone in a similar situation wouldn't choose to go back to the store that night.
We do not know if Winston would have ever gone back to pay for the crab legs if given the chance.
And we do not know if Winston has previously had this happen and not been punished for it. It is perhaps curious why Publix would be insistent on sending LCSO over to Winston's apartment after midnight.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:52 AM
gg

16,979 posts, read 17,204,341 times
We are all still a lynch mob bunch of people, that is for sure. Not sure if the guy is innocent or guilty, but in the eyes of the readers, he is already in jail and we are all saying, if you do the crime, you do the time. I wish we would be more neutral until we know facts, but it just isn't that way. Never was and never will be.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 AM

6,451 posts, read 6,466,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
At least he wasn't beating his wife, murdering his kids, raping someone, or torturing dogs.
This time !

Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,966,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This
After hearing the full story I've kinda changed my view of the situation.

allegedly the story
why would the cop think he stole them? he's just walking out like any other customer, it's not a cops job to check receipts at the door like some Wal-Mart greeter. He probably wanted an autograph from the town hero.

and after he realized he didn't pay for them he didn't go back per your own story.

I find it funny how it's 30 some dollars worth of crab legs and not canned veggies and boxed spuds...

aren't these guys the ones supposedly going to be hungry at night?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 AM

6,451 posts, read 6,466,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

So it can happen . . .
But you went back...that's the difference of having character...and having little to none...

Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM

7,191 posts, read 7,527,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
why would the cop think he stole them? he's just walking out like any other customer, it's not a cops job to check receipts at the door like some Wal-Mart greeter. He probably wanted an autograph from the town hero.

and after he realized he didn't pay for them he didn't go back per your own story.

I find it funny how it's 30 some dollars worth of crab legs and not canned veggies and boxed spuds...

aren't these guys the ones supposedly going to be hungry at night?
Although I agree, he was trying impress his out of town girlfriend,from then Story I could easily see this happening. It explains why the police/DA didn't arrest him
Quote:
Wood, who stressed that Winston technically wasn’t arrested, said Winston would enter a pre-trial program, pay a $20 fine, perform community service and make restitution to Publix.
On a lighter note, it looks like FSU students have been having fun with the story.
Quote:
Some FSU fans jokingly said their school’s initials stood for “Free Seafood University.” Facebook and Twitter were full of doctored photos of Winston morphing into a crab, running away from Publix with seafood or clutching crab legs like a football as he stiff-arms a University of Auburn player decked out like a grocery-store clerk in the aisles.
Florida Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, a fan of arch-rival University of Florida, got in his digs as well.

“Everyone loves #FreshFromFlorida crab legs,” Putnam said on Twitter, referencing his department’s program to promote in-state harvests.[LEFT]
Read more here: TALLAHASSEE: FSU’s Heisman QB, Jameis Winston, busted for shoplifting Publix crab legs, crawfish - Florida - MiamiHerald.com[/LEFT]
LOL^^^^^

Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 PM

33,058 posts, read 12,532,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
At least he wasn't beating his wife, murdering his kids, raping someone, or torturing dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post

After all, several players continued playing in NFL after killing people.
A quick Google search revealed that 27 NFL players have been arrested since the Super Bowl - including two for murder. Since the Super Bowl! Seems like it was just yesterday.

Walking out with sack of Crab Legs seems pretty small potatoes, particularly given the situation.

I say we give the man a pass on this one.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,399,349 times
Might be a good athlete, but not of good character! Seems to be just another low life thief !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events