U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 AM

58 posts, read 63,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm just not seeing a connection here. Rich people have almost always had an advantage during legal proceedings. I'm not sure how that is supposed to take the spotlight off Winston stealing crab.
Affluenza. I'm above the law because my parents are rich, because I have a scholarship to play sports, because I had a single parent, because I was born in Iraq, because I'm an illegal immigrant, because I felt like it due to my sexual endowment.

Whats the difference? You broke the law! Now lets examine the severity and consequences and point justice in the right direction since justice couldn't find it's way out a well lit one way hallway if using the Ethan Couch case as a presidence for lame excuses for adolescent actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 AM

11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
Affluenza. I'm above the law because my parents are rich, because I have a scholarship to play sports, because I had a single parent, because I was born in Iraq, because I'm an illegal immigrant, because I felt like it.

Whats the difference? You broke the law, now lets examine the severity and consequences and point justice in the right direction since justice couldn't find it's way out a well lit one way hallway.
So you think Winston thought he was above the law?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:26 AM

58 posts, read 63,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you think Winston thought he was above the law?
Depends on how he was coddled. He sincerely might have thought he'd get away with it even if he was caught. Do you know who I am? Do you know what team I play for? Same as all pro/soon to be pro athletes use their celebrity, notoriety, or wealth (potential wealth in Winston's case) to get away with a crime. How many pro athletes have tried to get out of a speeding ticket, dui, domestic violence charge?

Michael Jordan in his Ferrari circa 1989 in KY comes to mind. He paid the ticket thanks to that Ky state trooper who didn't play into that wealthy celebrity crap and did the right thing. He wrote the ticket regardless of the offenders wealth, notoriety, championship rings or celebrity status.

Last edited by Astro Art; 05-04-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,315,773 times
Well, as an advocate for paying student athletes, maybe the guy was hungry. My university's diner closes at 7pm and 8pm on weekends.

ETA: We don't know his background, but he's from Hueytown, AL which seems to be a low middle class area. I'm not surprised.

Last edited by Pinkmani; 05-04-2014 at 03:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 04:01 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Probably thought that since rape is apparently not punishable for athletes at Florida State, stealing wouldn't be either.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 AM

18,794 posts, read 13,579,606 times
I don't know...we had a football player at the Univ. of Washington named Jerramy Stevens. Constantly in trouble, including assault, rape accusations, DUIs, car crashes, etc. He went on to an 8 year pro career. albeit was eventually 86'ed for a marijuana rap. Still the median salary for an NFL tight end is $2 million, and he held that job for 8 years.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dayum, folks. Give the guy a break!
I am the first to scream about how athletes get away with stuff and how academics is put on the back burner to athletics, and how too many athletes are there b/c of brawn instead of brains - and on a free ride when their brainier brothers can't get a scholarship, etc etc etc.

So I am no big supporter of athletes and colleges that are essentially breeding grounds for the NFL.

Having said all that . . . I can totally see how this would happen. HE WAS DISTRACTED!!!!! He got mobbed w/ folks asking for autographs and no doubt - snapping photos w/ their iPhones.

It was after the store closed that he realized his error. What was he supposed to do at that time of night? Go back to the store and try to tape some money to the door???? I mean . . . ??????
OF COURSE! It was ONLY a mistake. I mean..........!!!!! why can't everyone see that it was a measly mistake! It could happen to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's WRONG with you people????????????? Are you ALL racists???????????

Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,964,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.

one of his items? so how is it that you could find the time to pay for other things but magically forget to pay for the expensive crab legs?

we are so addicted to sports in this society, these guys grow up from high school, sometimes middle school, having their backsides kissed and told they're special that they do feel they're above it all.

it's ridiculous that so many people believe him.

let's see, i'll pay for the pepper and napkins but opps, I forgot about that $32 worth of stinky crab legs under my arm, and even when I realized this at home I did nothing to rectify the situation. Buy hey, I can throw a ball at a supposed institute of higher learning.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM

7,855 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
At least he wasn't beating his wife, murdering his kids, raping someone, or torturing dogs.
Already checked that one off the bucket list.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:02 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,577,627 times
He was issued an adult civil citation? Community service? Why, because he was a star athlete? If he was a regular person, he'd be charged for shoplifting and have to appear in court. As usual, there are two levels of justice in America: one for the rich or famous, and another for the average joe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events