U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 AM

788 posts, read 609,914 times

Advertisements

Here

Quote:
In January the Satanic Temple announced plans to erect a monument glorifying the Dark Lord on the front lawn of the Oklahoma Statehouse. An Indiegogo campaign was launched with what seemed like a somewhat lofty goal of $20,000, but by the time donations ended almost $30,000 had been raised. Now an artist trained in classical sculpture is toiling away in New York, crafting a Baphomet figure sitting beneath an inverted pentagram and flanked by two children gazing upward in loyalty. When it is finished, it will be cast in bronze and, the Satanists hope, eventually displayed in Oklahoma.

The statue is a direct response to the state's installation of a Ten Commandments monument outside the Capitol in 2012. State Representative Mike Ritze paid for the controversial statue with his own money, and therefore it was considered a donation and OK to place on government property. Following that line of reasoning, the Satanic Temple submitted a formal application for their monument.
I really do think, by law, they're going to have to allow both or neither. The Ten Commandments have no business hanging on a courthouse, but I find myself hoping they can get the statue displayed, at least for a while. Religion aside, that is an awesome looking statue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 AM

47 posts, read 71,846 times
Can I purchase and install one in my front yard?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,163,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I really do think, by law, they're going to have to allow both or neither.
Precisely - either that or render Freedom of Religion to be null and void replaced with institutionalized Dominionism

Old 05-03-2014, 06:23 PM

725 posts, read 1,321,732 times
It is a mistake to think of Baphomet as a satanist symbol.
It is a significant symbol of occult/hidden knowledge.
Levi could have as well used an ugly human face.
It also has significance to the Chakras (energy center of the human body)
You can read here its history and an explanation of the symbolism.
Who is Baphomet? - The Vigilant Citizen

Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM

19,360 posts, read 13,021,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdAbuser View Post
Can I purchase and install one in my front yard?
Sure, if you have the bucks.

I saw a pic of that statue. It's pretty tame in comparison to the notorious statuary a rich homeowner in Beverly Hills put up on top of an elaborate fence he surrounded his property with. The statues were all nudes in the classic Greek style, but he 'improved' them by painting them flesh pink with black pubic hair on all the genital areas. There were at least 20 statues.

The fight over them went on forever, but the last I heard, the statues were still there. A man's home is his castle, and there's no accounting for taste.

And when it comes to religious statuary on government grounds, what's fair for one religion is fair for all. I seriously doubt that either statue will ever be erected on the statehouse grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events