Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Horses over population is a problem in the US.

The derby horses are the lucky ones.....they are well cared for.

Slaughter is the only answer for others...I don't like it...it is just a fact.

We need to open more slaughter houses in the US and let them operate.

The horses going to slaughter now go to Mexico...packed in trailers....with no food and water....little room to move.

The get to the plant missing eyes and many have broken bones.

This link sounds good....but, does not save horses....it just makes their last days a longer nightmare.

Horse slaughter blocked by federal law
Horses are very sensitive animals and fare poorly in slaughterhouses.

The Facts about Horse Slaughter : The Humane Society of the United States

And, let's not change the subject here. I vehemently oppose the use of horses for what is basically profit and entertainment at their expense. You keep saying they have better lives than other horses do as if you think they ought to be grateful for less suffering.

I can see you have your mind made up that it's OK to allow for situations that are rife with abuse because some of the horses may not suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:40 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
I absolutely loved the result. California Chrome, a horse with such relatively humble beginnings, wins the Kentucky Derby. Absolutely loved seeing California Chrome pull that one off! Now onto the Preakness and Belmont.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I absolutely loved the result. California Chrome, a horse with such relatively humble beginnings, wins the Kentucky Derby. Absolutely loved seeing California Chrome pull that one off! Now onto the Preakness and Belmont.
Great race! I picked three of the four but alas, only the winner to place.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Great race! I picked three of the four but alas, only the winner to place.
Congratulations! I live in Nevada and have never gambled. I'm beginning to think it may be fault.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
would It not be something if California chrome won all three races woo hoo !!! it has been done before you all so don't laugh ....

Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 AM

148 posts, read 228,726 times
A place that is named "slaughterhouse" has a PR problem from the get-go....maybe if we called them Abattoirs or Knacker's Yards, they would fair better? Off-topic, but if you knew how jello is processed, you would think twice before eating it again.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Will you be watching the Kentucky Derby today, and is California Chrome your favorite to win?
Loved this winning horse but loved the two "dumb#ss" owners and trainer just as much.
Still laughing over this horse that "only a dumb#ass would buy" winning the Kentucky Derby.
Hope we see them all take The Triple Crown!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Loved this winning horse but loved the two "dumb#ss" owners and trainer just as much.
Still laughing over this horse that "only a dumb#ass would buy" winning the Kentucky Derby.
Hope we see them all take The Triple Crown!
The triple crown has not been won since Affirmed in 1978, so we will see. Chrome's time was not all that fast even though he pulled away to win at 2.03.66. Some have been slower, but most are faster with the 1973 record of 159.40. We will see, and everyday is a different day.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The triple crown has not been won since Affirmed in 1978, so we will see. Chrome's time was not all that fast even though he pulled away to win at 2.03.66. Some have been slower, but most are faster with the 1973 record of 159.40. We will see, and everyday is a different day.
Uncle Sigh was coming fast......the races keep getting longer.

I have told my husband for years there will very likely never be a Triple Crown winner.

IMO the horses have been breed to run as fast as they can.

That leaves the next two races a game of speed, positioning and strategy.

Only time will tell.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
actually they paid $8K for the mare of CC and at one point thought about selling her if they could find someone to pay them $1,000. Instead they bred her to a grand-daughter of the most prolific stud in all of history...Mr Prospector.

in reality they ended up with CC when Love The Chase was bred for the fee of $2,000 to Lucky Pulpit, winner of 3 races in 22 career starts but with a strong pedigree including A.P. Indy and Seattle Slew.

Good for them!

It has less to do with breeding and more to do with how hard the jockey whips the horse towards the finish line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events