U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times

Advertisements

[quote=MrWillys;34734771]Don't tell me, I'm only to the part in the book where he's run the Derby, and the Preakness. Ronnie Turquotte speaks really highly of this horse. When you watch this video Ronnie doesn't touch Secretariat, but the Sham Jockey is swatting his hard.

Thank you! Someone that actually wants to talk about the topic!

I won't spoil it for you but:

Jockey Eddie Maple describes what it was like riding Secretariat in his last race:
"Maple and Secretariat broke sharply from the outside No. 12 post position, and settled in with Kennedy Road at the front of the pack. That horse was ridden by Avelino Gomez, the top rider in Canada. Everything was fine, Maple says, until the backstretch. “Secretariat saw that horse of Avelino’s there and he didn’t like it. He was mad, and he suddenly just took off,” says Maple. “He opened up eight or nine lengths. I remember wishing it hadn’t happened. It was too early. But I didn’t want to pull on him.”'
Secretariat – Super Genius | Secretariat.com

So much for a jockey's strategy.

I think I'll go watch the Belmont race again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,091,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I feel the slaughter houses should be reopened in the US to help reduce the horse population in a little kinder form.

It does not have to be for human consumption.
Humane euthanasia is already available. It should be used.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
It is illegal.
It was also illegal to sell for human consumption. It went to countries where it was acceptable.

Want to eat it? Grow your own.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,073,320 times
[quote=ovcatto;34735516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Don't tell me, I'm only to the part in the book where he's run the Derby, and the Preakness. Ronnie Turquotte speaks really highly of this horse. When you watch this video Ronnie doesn't touch Secretariat, but the Sham Jockey is swatting his hard.

Thank you! Someone that actually wants to talk about the topic!

I won't spoil it for you but:

Jockey Eddie Maple describes what it was like riding Secretariat in his last race:
"Maple and Secretariat broke sharply from the outside No. 12 post position, and settled in with Kennedy Road at the front of the pack. That horse was ridden by Avelino Gomez, the top rider in Canada. Everything was fine, Maple says, until the backstretch. “Secretariat saw that horse of Avelino’s there and he didn’t like it. He was mad, and he suddenly just took off,” says Maple. “He opened up eight or nine lengths. I remember wishing it hadn’t happened. It was too early. But I didn’t want to pull on him.”'
Secretariat – Super Genius | Secretariat.com

So much for a jockey's strategy.

I think I'll go watch the Belmont race again...
I read the Belmont race today, and that horse was unbelievable. Of course I watch the video after, and he was clearly running for himself. The epilogue is left for morning. A way better, and different story than what Disney portrayed.
I wish California Chrome the best of luck in the Preakness.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,241,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Humane euthanasia is already available. It should be used.
It is....my last three old horses died right at my home at an old age....but, were PTS....buried here.

They were lucky.....that is not what happens to most.

About anything still alive will bring $700/$1000.....fat little ponies sale very well....they are called marbled meat.

The trip is horrible....many get there after a long trip to Mexico with their eyes laying out and broken bones.....you do not want pictures.....packed 30 to a trailer at times.

They are NOT unload (that is against the law) fed or, given water.

I would just like to see the trip a little shorter....that is all.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:20 PM

http://trianglecross.com/healthrequirements.html

This is why they can not unload the horses for any reason.

States look the other way about Coggins papers and health certificates IF the seal on the back of the trailer is NOT broken.

Last edited by Driller1; 05-10-2014 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The trip is horrible....many get there after a long trip to Mexico with their eyes laying out and broken bones.....you do not want pictures.....packed 30 to a trailer at times.
So make the trip illegal.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So make the trip illegal.
No one hauling horses to the killers would do that.....it would cost them.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 AM

Stop Horse Slaughter: Our Country's Dark Secret : The Humane Society of the United States

This is a good overview of things.....BTW, I forgot about Canada.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Sadly, its people like you that only focus on the 1% of bad in the industry, because it is dramatic, it makes for PETA news. Ive been racing horses for 40 years, and the vast majority of people treat their horses better than their kids. If you want to get up in arms about a breed that sends horses to slaughter houses, why not the Quarter horse? The vast majority of horses that end up at slaughter are Quarter horses.

There are hundreds of organizations that are taking ex race horses and finding great homes in second careers, or for those that are not sound enough for that, there are many many retirement farms that are funded by racing organizations. Many racetracks now ban trainers if horses under their care end up in slaughter situations. The racing industry is probably the only equine industry that cares so much for their own.

Instead of being part of the problem, why not be part of the solution, like thousands of owners and trainers are?
I had to gives this some thought.

About Quarter horses......they are to horses like lab dogs are to the dog world.

If a dog is a medium to large size and not obviously anything else.....it is called a lab.....on my profile picture is real labs.

Since papers are not part of the trip to the slaughter houses.....there are no records of breeds.

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/201...-to-slaughter/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or