Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not a chance. I'll bet the horse will run in the Preakness and/or the Belmont unless he's not in shape to do either or both.
It is not how many times he's beaten that counts; it's how good a sire he proves to be. Even Secretariat, probably the only super-horse to ever win the Triple Crown, was beaten twice afterward before he was retired.

The last Triple Crown was won in 1978. If Chrome is sound for the Preakness, and never runs the Belmont, he will make millions more for his owners in stud fees than if he was to retire now. If he runs all 3 and only loses one, his fees will increase. if he wins all 3, he, his owners, and his trainer all become legends. Millions can't buy a legend.

I knew California Chrome was going to be the horse to win. He's an easy sweater, and runs with a wet mouth. I've never seen a horse like that who wasn't a fast sprinter. He also hates dirt in his face, so he runs to the front. The next Triple Crown winner could hold the title for then next 50 years or more, as horse racing is now much smaller than it was in the 70's.

The big question is his endurance. The Derby is the shortest race of the 3, and a sprinter often wins it. The real test is the Preakness; if he can stay in the lead throughout that one, and stay sound, he may be able to do the same in the Belmont, but the length of the Belmont almost always crushes the horses that break fast and sprint. The first two races almost always take too much out of the winner to win the Belmont.

We'll see who enters the Preakness. Commanding Curve proved to be a good sprinter, and both Wicked Strong and Danza were looking good after more maneuvering through the pack. Either could take the greater distances to come if they stay sound. But that's what makes horse races.
Oh, if he is healthy he will race.

Taking them home a winner is my thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
I've never seen a horse like that who wasn't a fast sprinter. He also hates dirt in his face, so he runs to the front.
While I recognize the Chrome was the fourth fastest horse to win at Santa Anita and had a 107 rating going into the race, but considering that the he ran in the front of one of the slowest Derby's ever, that isn't such a great claim.

The horse that impressed me was Commanding Curve who came well off the back to place second. Curve probably won't be in the Preakness but if he is in the Belmont that's where my money will be on. I believe that the Derby at a 1 1/4 was his longest race to date.

Quote:
The big question is his endurance. The Derby is the shortest race of the 3,
Actually the Preakness is, at a 1 3/16.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Winning is never only the horse.
A horse race is full of complex strategy that comes and goes in milli-seconds. The jockey can lose a race on a winning horse or win on a losing horse.
The best jockeys are amazing strategists and amazing athletes.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Winning is never only the horse.
A horse race is full of complex strategy that comes and goes in milli-seconds. The jockey can lose a race on a winning horse or win on a losing horse.
The best jockeys are amazing strategists and amazing athletes.
And sometimes they're just along for the ride. See Secretariat run the Belmont.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is eaten in many counties.

They were going to start here in the US.....Obama blocked it.
If you are referring to horsemeat for human consumption, it was tried in the 1970's. Went over about as well as a football in a soccer game.

If the rest of these countries want to eat it, let them raise it themselves.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
If you are referring to horsemeat for human consumption, it was tried in the 1970's. Went over about as well as a football in a soccer game.

If the rest of these countries want to eat it, let them raise it themselves.
I feel the slaughter houses should be reopened in the US to help reduce the horse population in a little kinder form.

It does not have to be for human consumption.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:03 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I feel the slaughter houses should be reopened in the US to help reduce the horse population in a little kinder form.

It does not have to be for human consumption.
Isn't dog food made with horse meat, or did they make that illegal?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Isn't dog food made with horse meat, or did they make that illegal?
It is illegal.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And sometimes they're just along for the ride. See Secretariat run the Belmont.
Don't tell me, I'm only to the part in the book where he's run the Derby, and the Preakness. Ronnie Turquotte speaks really highly of this horse. When you watch this video Ronnie doesn't touch Secretariat, but the Sham Jockey is swatting his hard.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eV89InWOENc

Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Horses are very sensitive animals and fare poorly in slaughterhouses.

The Facts about Horse Slaughter : The Humane Society of the United States

And, let's not change the subject here. I vehemently oppose the use of horses for what is basically profit and entertainment at their expense. You keep saying they have better lives than other horses do as if you think they ought to be grateful for less suffering.

I can see you have your mind made up that it's OK to allow for situations that are rife with abuse because some of the horses may not suffer.
Sadly, its people like you that only focus on the 1% of bad in the industry, because it is dramatic, it makes for PETA news. Ive been racing horses for 40 years, and the vast majority of people treat their horses better than their kids. If you want to get up in arms about a breed that sends horses to slaughter houses, why not the Quarter horse? The vast majority of horses that end up at slaughter are Quarter horses.

There are hundreds of organizations that are taking ex race horses and finding great homes in second careers, or for those that are not sound enough for that, there are many many retirement farms that are funded by racing organizations. Many racetracks now ban trainers if horses under their care end up in slaughter situations. The racing industry is probably the only equine industry that cares so much for their own.

Instead of being part of the problem, why not be part of the solution, like thousands of owners and trainers are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events