U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 AM
 
Location: north central Ohio
7,974 posts, read 3,937,245 times
Reputation: 4752

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This could be something as simple as a software glitch on the part of the air traffic control system.

My neighbor is a controller, I'll ask him next time we are shooting the bull.

The only really good take-away here is that the news media continues to slide down the tubes with garbage speculation and a report early, correct later mantra.

I bolded your PERFECT description of the media!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 AM
 
48,922 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Reputation: 30565
The U2 pilot may have screwed up or had some sort of mechanical issue which turned out some type of electronics warfare platform as well.

All told, how and where this occurred screams "accident".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
 
17,919 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Reputation: 17410
The article noted that the U-2 has flown into Edwards more than once before, and that is true...which means this isn't the first time one has been in LA airspace. Even if it had been a surprise, it should not have led to a shutdown.

There is no indication from the story that the ATC systrem was "jammed" (yes, they do have electronic defensive systems)--it appears that for some reason it glitched at unusual altitude information fed into it.

Or an inexperienced controller misunderstood what he was seeing and made an unnecessary correction.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM
 
9,086 posts, read 5,665,637 times
Reputation: 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
They have improved the platform over the years. Todays U2 is @ 40% larger then the one flown by Gary Powers, however I'm not sure if they have the payload to carry enough equipment that I think would be needed to do what was done. It is after all a surveillance aircraft it relied on speed and altitude to escape detection not radar jamming etc, When I was stationed at Moffett Field we would watch taking off on drug interdiction flights up the coast.....
I actually didn't think they still flew the U2 or at least the "spy" version since the 90's. I thought I remembered reading that Nasa still had one or two and flew them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM
 
17,919 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Reputation: 17410
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I actually didn't think they still flew the U2 or at least the "spy" version since the 90's. I thought I remembered reading that Nasa still had one or two and flew them.
The U-2 is one of a very small group of planes in the world that have been in continuous service to their original air force for over half a century. The U-2 has been in continuous--I mean a mission least two or three times a week-- somewhere in the world--since the late 50s. It's in active use by the US in South Korea and Afghanistan right now, and perhaps other places as well. One of the advantages of the U-2 is that the products can be shared with countries and people that we don't trust enough to "share our very best."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,520,840 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Or an inexperienced controller misunderstood what he was seeing and made an unnecessary correction.

I will buy that explanation. Seems to be the most logical






If this was not deliberately planned. Which we probably will never know.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM
 
58 posts, read 63,763 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
It would be cheaper to just use a drone instead of configuring an aircraft to act like a drone plus flt crew, grnd crew, fuel, etc, etc. More likely that those in charge would have just used a drone for any tests.
Very true. But can you imagine the uproar if the government admitted this was a drone instead of a U2? It's a lot easier for the public to accept the thought of a U2 flying overhead, but a drone? That would only have raised more questions and concerns

At least they didn't say it was a weather balloon so that's progress in government disclosure I reckon. lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM
 
17,919 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Reputation: 17410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
Very true. But can you imagine the uproar if the government admitted this was a drone instead of a U2? It's a lot easier for the public to accept the thought of a U2 flying overhead, but a drone? That would only have raised more questions and concerns

At least they didn't say it was a weather balloon so that's progress in government disclosure I reckon. lol
Drones are replacing fighter aircraft these days. It's just as valid to train a drone in a given area as it is to train a manned aircraft.

But there wouldn't be any valid reason to do so, any more than there is reason to drop a nuke on LA to test whether that would be effective. Electronic warfare is easily simulated and tested at Nellis with zero publicity fallout--nothing to explain.

And what would be the military point of neutralizing air traffic control of a civilian airfield?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
 
9,086 posts, read 5,665,637 times
Reputation: 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The U-2 is one of a very small group of planes in the world that have been in continuous service to their original air force for over half a century. The U-2 has been in continuous--I mean a mission least two or three times a week-- somewhere in the world--since the late 50s. It's in active use by the US in South Korea and Afghanistan right now, and perhaps other places as well. One of the advantages of the U-2 is that the products can be shared with countries and people that we don't trust enough to "share our very best."
Very interesting. Seems like with modern anti-aircraft radar and weapons the U2 be shelved overnight. The SR-71 could just out run any of the weapons that were launched at it. Although it is WAY more expensive to operate and that is supposedly been retired.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
 
58 posts, read 63,763 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Drones are replacing fighter aircraft these days. It's just as valid to train a drone in a given area as it is to train a manned aircraft.

But there wouldn't be any valid reason to do so, any more than there is reason to drop a nuke on LA to test whether that would be effective. Electronic warfare is easily simulated and tested at Nellis with zero publicity fallout--nothing to explain.

And what would be the military point of neutralizing air traffic control of a civilian airfield?
It might've been a drone for all we know? Other than the self admission that it was a U2 did anyone get a visual confirmation? Radio contact from pilots?

Maybe this was an unintended consequence of high altitude drone surveillance that now needs to be addressed before being deployed over populated U.S. cities again?

Obviously there was no flight plan filed with the local CAA or else traffic control would've known what was there prior to the so called computer glitch.

Were the U2 pilots on a clandestine mission? Or maybe they were just up there cruising over sunny L.A. in their numbers matching all original 1957 Dragon Lady with no where to go, looking for chicks and $1 fish tacos.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top