U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:34 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,576,816 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I feel about legalization, maybe that is part of the solution. My observations of Portugal and their drug policy of decriminalization is to me a great solution. The rates of AIDs and other diseases that were being transmitted via dirty needles has dropped substantially. You can still get in trouble from what I understand but they seem to have focused on helping people in stead of putting a stamp on their forehead that they are criminal for life because of drug use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM

11,068 posts, read 11,474,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
My question is: How would you protect kids from it??? The arguments are all good ~ I'm on the fence with this one, myself ~ but I don't see how legalization would keep it off the hands of children, and that's my primary concern.

And I agree with the poster above. I don't think taxpayers should pay for treatment either.
How do you protect your kids from the pusher handing out free samples to develop a client base? Kids get a free baggie of speed or cocaine, or get handed a joint all the time. "Here, kid. Give it a try. Be cool, get high."

Everybody knows that the way to score drugs is to find a teenager willing to sell to you.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,830,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
Absolutely NOT. Drugs and prostitution and public smoking should be prohibited.
You,re right ,Mom

Old 05-04-2014, 07:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,238,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Quite the opposite. Heroin has no negative physical effects. All of the deaths are due to impure drugs and accidental overdose. A person can be a heroin user for years without experiencing the problems associated with other drugs, like alcohol. Drug laws kill people directly.

Lots of people hear "legalize" and think it means a candy store free-for-all. What it really means is regulated sales, instead of black market sales. Portugal legalized all drugs a decade ago, and cut their addiction rate in half.

The War on Drugs was a stupid mistake, only promoted today by lobbyists funded by organized crime.
But what about crytal meth? It destroys the brain. Pain pills? They are extremely addictive. Cocaine? Destroys tissue.

One of the popular drugs results in Parkinson's disease. (I forget the name.)

Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,153,625 times
absolutely not. If hard drugs were legalized then people who would have never touched hard drugs would start using them. Common sense.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You are leaving out a HUGE source of drug supply funding.......Crime!

If drugs are legal, more will use and when their job at McDonalds/Walmart or Joe's Garage cannot pay for their habit they will be forced into some variation of criminal activity to fund their addiction.

Legalizing hard drugs will be a disaster on several levels. The saddest part is there will be plenty of good people lost in addiction that may have never started doing hard drugs. I have never seen a drug addict I admired for anything (hard work, good family values, etc). It always ends badly....

It makes sense, but maybe you are entirely wrong in your predictions. Is this true in Europe where it is legal?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM

4,969 posts, read 2,501,888 times
Cocaine should be legalized, put in a can and marketed as afternoon energy drinks. Imagine the productivity of Americas workforce!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How do you protect your kids from the pusher handing out free samples to develop a client base? Kids get a free baggie of speed or cocaine, or get handed a joint all the time. "Here, kid. Give it a try. Be cool, get high."

Everybody knows that the way to score drugs is to find a teenager willing to sell to you.
I was talking to a high school teenage girl recently from my sort of upper middle class town. She stunned me when she told me that kids have access to drugs all over town. Drugs at parties, etc.

Yet, supposedly, most of the kids are not using.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM

5,585 posts, read 4,789,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
if they were legal, prices will come down, they can afford more, there will be a lot more overdoses, they will eliminate themselves
If heroin, or any drug, was mechanically measured I think the number of overdoses would go down.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If heroin, or any drug, was mechanically measured I think the number of overdoses would go down.
Now they have some kind of antidote that prevents overdoses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events