U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple of years we have read and heard that the Affordable Care Act and government taxation are the worst kinds of tyranny and at the same time folks of similar political persuasion continue to make statements that slavery on the other hand just wasn't all that bad. To say that I'm a bit confused would be a gross understatement, so I'm asking for a little help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM

9,077 posts, read 5,405,841 times
Because:

Slavery = Black people working for them in return for shelter and food. It's an honest living, y'all!

Taxation = Government taking money from them and giving to Blacks, who are lazy and don't work.

ACA = Allowing Blacks to afford healthcare and live longer = OMG!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM

33,139 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Over the last couple of years we have read and heard that the Affordable Care Act and government taxation are the worst kinds of tyranny and at the same time folks of similar political persuasion continue to make statements that slavery on the other hand just wasn't all that bad. To say that I'm a bit confused would be a gross understatement, so I'm asking for a little help with this.
Are there examples of countries around the world that have no taxation and you are on your own when it comes to healthcare? If so and they are successful maybe the USA could benefit from adopting their ways..

Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM

698 posts, read 383,319 times
It's a short list...

Successful countries without taxation or national health care:

Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM

698 posts, read 383,319 times
Quote:
The right-wing has an amazing capacity to hold and defend conflicting and contradictory opinions of all sorts. Even in situations that seem mutually exclusive, some of them can still find a way.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,064,394 times
Quote:
if you really are asking for a little help with this, let me point out that I have never heard what you said was said by anyone other than maybe those caught up in the heat of the moment silly back and forth exchange, if at all.

Therefore it doesn't merit too much thought and you can end your confusion. Ignore it. As you would any other boorish behavior.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM

788 posts, read 609,914 times
I've never seen the two statements together, either, but they are often said by the same people in different conversations.

I imagine because taxation is happening to them right now, it seems like the bigger injustice (it's not).

Old 05-05-2014, 02:17 PM

17,909 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are there examples of countries around the world that have no taxation and you are on your own when it comes to healthcare? If so and they are successful maybe the USA could benefit from adopting their ways..
You're always going to be taxed, whether it's by a central government, a local government, or in the absence of either, a crime boss or a warlord. If you're somewhere like rural Afghanistan or Yemen, maybe all of them.

But there are plenty of places where you're on your own with healthcare. In most of those places, hospitals will first give you a front-door estimate of the cost of treating you, and if you don't have that much cash in your pocket, they'll send you away until you can come back with the cash.

I suspect, though, that your question is rhetorical.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM

7,456 posts, read 5,446,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Because:

Slavery = Black people working for them in return for shelter and food. It's an honest living, y'all!

Taxation = Government taking money from them and giving to Blacks, who are lazy and don't work.

ACA = Allowing Blacks to afford healthcare and live longer = OMG!!!

Precisely.

I used to work at a failing machine shop with a pair of nutty bigots like the ones described in this thread. One of them couldn't go a week without launching into an unprovoked rage about how "those people" - except he used the n-word - were the cause of all the problems in the nation. The other one gave me a KKK recruitment speech, making it clear that he felt they were a great organization since what they did was "just expressing their First Amendment Rights." They also had all the other characteristics of far-right wing nuts - gun fetishes, etc.

They also were model examples of hating taxes in the crazy, right-wing way. They'd whine and moan about having to pay taxes to support anything but things they used, and then they'd also whine and moan when there wasn't enough tax money to fix up all the local pot-holes - on the roads they used - and so on. Just more of the typical hypocrisy from that crowd: they expected others to pay taxes to support them, but not the other way around.

Their overall grasp of economics was limited, as well. One day, they'd praise Wal-mart and off-shoring as great because it meant "lower prices!" The next day they'd complain about the lack of manufacturing jobs in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or