U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 05:50 PM

18,590 posts, read 13,715,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
As much as I hate our military and tax dollars going for fighting elsewhere in the world, I would rather have our military fighting on foreign soil than knocking on our doors. Call me silly.
I agree. It also keeps the military trained and ready in case we have a larger adversary to deal with. There is already a Drone base in Niger but I would Imagine Nigeria will open access to the US following the kidnappings.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-09-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,806,901 times
BBC News - Have Boko Haram over-reached themselves?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,728,690 times
The United States doesn't care about missing black american women, so obviously they're not going to care about missing black women from a 3rd world country

Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 PM

774 posts, read 702,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
For some reason I'm suspicious of this story.

Seemingly out of nowhere some 'radical muslim group' kidnaps children for sale for horrible purposes. Then they make the intentions known on an international stage? I'd think they keep it as silent as possible and sell quietly to someone who wants the goods.

Again, seemingly on short notice, there are protests about this in several US cities.

I hope this gets resolved, but My conspiracy instincts are heightened.
It would be nice to HOPE that you are right

But..............................

Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 PM

821 posts, read 883,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Gunmen abduct eight more girls in northeast Nigeria: police | Reuters

This is on top of the over 200 girls abducted there by the same group a few weeks ago. Where is the public outcry especially from women's groups? These girls simply wanted an education which their kidnappers oppose besides they plan on selling them as slaves and into forced marriage as such a young age.
I couldn't care less.

Why? Because I believe not one damn Nigerian would give a damn if a few American or European women were abducted and brutalized!

But instead, the trendy thing for Americans to do is play Santa Claus and weep crocodile tears for people who couldn't care less if they existed or wouldn't do or return any altruistic acts.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,496,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Not amused by it at all. I just don't care. It's Africa.

But I can see how white cause-oriented females will jump on the Help Anything bandwagon.
I hope someone kidnaps you and forces you into slavery just for doing the simple act of going to the grocery store.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I hope someone kidnaps you and forces you into slavery just for doing the simple act of going to the grocery store.
And why do you wish this on him, especially considering Nigerians would likely not give a damn what happens to him?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,496,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
And why do you wish this on him, especially considering Nigerians would likely not give a damn what happens to him?
Because he doesn't give a damn that innocent children were abducted for doing the simple act of going to school.

Tit for tat.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I'll be honest; it is the latter. And I fully acknowlege that there *are* limits to US power, especially in this bad economy, and putting our boys (and increasingly our girls) in uniform into harm's way is something that should never be undertaken lightly.

However, if (and yes, this may be a big if) this rescue of the enslaved girls (and the killing of the savages who did it) is something that a company of marines in helicopters from a carrier offshore could quickly fly in, achieve, and fly out, is that not "a global force for good", as the navy recruitment ads say?

I am reminded of Kipling's old poem. The term "White Man's Burden" is taboo today, but given the numbers of Asian and Latin American nations that are also modern and civilized and treat women decently, perhaps we should rename it "The Modern Burden"???

And don't you know that many of the same people who want us to "do something" here, will in another breath condemn us for "imperialism"???? Ugh.

Rewriting Kipling's poem for the 21st century:

Take up the Modern burden, Send forth the best ye breed
Go bind your kids to exile, to serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness, On fluttered folk and wild--
Your new-caught, Muslim peoples, Half-devil and half-child.

Take up the Modern burden, In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror, And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple, A hundred times made plain
To seek another's profit, And work another's gain.

Take up the Modern burden, The savage wars of peace--
Fill full the mouth of Famine, And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest, The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and Muslim Folly, Bring all your hopes to nought.

Take up the Modern burden, No tawdry rule of kings,
But toil of serf and sweeper, The tale of common things.
The ports ye shall not enter, The roads ye shall not tread,
Go make them with your living, And mark them with your dead.

Take up the Modern burden, And reap his old reward:
The blame of those ye better, The hate of those ye guard--
The cry of hosts ye humour, (Ah, slowly!) toward the light:--
"Why brought he us from bondage, Our loved Islamic night?"

Take up the Modern burden, Ye dare not stoop to less--
Nor call too loud on Freedom, To cloke your weariness;
By all ye cry or whisper, By all ye leave or do,
The silent, sullen peoples, Shall weigh your gods and you.

Take up the Modern burden, Have done with childish days--
The lightly proferred laurel, The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood, through all the thankless years
Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom, The judgment of your peers!
This is a very good post, but I highly doubt Kipling would care to include others in the burden considering his disdain for non-whites.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Because he doesn't give a damn that innocent children were abducted for doing the simple act of going to school.

Tit for tat.
Would Nigerians give a damn about his well-being, or that of other Americans? Highly unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or