U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,867,686 times

Advertisements

From living here in Florida, I had understood that a big contributor to the sinkholes here were due in large part to the draw down of the water levels under this big old limestone shelf we call Florida.

Quote:
Development of these ground-water resources for municipal, industrial and agricultural
water supplies creates regional ground-water-level declines
that play a role in accelerating sinkhole formation, thereby increasing susceptibility of the aquifers to contamination from surfacewaterdrainage. http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1182/pdf/15WCFlorida.pdf
I would consider that man made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,686,717 times
The city knew for decades there was a problem.
https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2014/0...to-status-quo/

And from this link, its pretty easy to tell that the city simply paved over the brick and did nothing to reinforce the road for increased traffic.

Baltimore City Infrastructure A Huge Concern After 26th Street Collapse CBS Baltimore

Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Really? More of those than of the natural erosion of limestone below the soil type? That's surprising to me. Could it be that there are more of the man-made variety, but that they tend to be of a less catastrophic nature than the natural ones?
Yes, they are less catastrophic because they occur around water mains and other trenches, they aren't as large as natural limestone dissolution due to physical (vegetation) and chemical (water) erosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Usually the result of too much construction work?
Utility engineering, placing water mains, or telecommunication lines in the ground with trenches, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Man made ones are most often caused by a water main, or sewage line break, although they do commonly occur when poor construction methods are used.

I am curious though where he got his information that most are man made? Certainly not the case in Florida and Minnesota, where they are caused by subterranean erosion of limestone.

I recall hearing once that there's a single county in MN with over 10,000 sinkholes in it.
MN is the land of 10,000 lakes, they have some limestone, but not many sinkholes. FL on the other hand has sinkholes, however, the man-made sinkholes are more prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
From living here in Florida, I had understood that a big contributor to the sinkholes here were due in large part to the draw down of the water levels under this big old limestone shelf we call Florida.

I would consider that man made
This is true, it depends on the location. Near Plant City it occurred with the strawberry farms.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 14,100,551 times
City Tallies Cost for Street Collapse Repairs

The department said Tuesday it has received approval for an $18.5 million allotment from the city's finance department to go toward installing a temporary retaining wall, constructing a permanent wall and engineering costs. The original wall that collapsed was owned by freight company CSX Corp.

The city says it is in discussions with CSX for help footing the $18.5 million cost of repairs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or