U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,270,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I believe Seattle has already raised their minimum wage to $15 per hour, or at least is very close to passing it.

The fact that these unskilled labor jobs are demanding more money is a testament to how bad things really are in this country. While the current administration claims unemployment numbers are down each month and they've added tens of thousands of new jobs, it is these type of jobs that are skewing the numbers. Minimum wage jobs, part-time jobs, unskilled labor etc. There was a time when working at McDonald's was for high school and college kids or bored housewives. Now, these are jobs that are needed by families to survive. They are turning into long term careers and are no longer jobs that are taken for granted.

I don't have a problem paying them a living wage, I just wish the greedy corporate CEOs were willing to take a cut in order to pay them more. Instead, it comes out of the consumer's pocket in the way of price increases. Either way, I would rather see these workers earn a better wage at McDonald's than sit at home on welfare doing nothing at the taxpayers expense.
Suggest you reread the news on that in Seattle .Its not passed and ist not 15 for some years from what I read.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 PM

18,721 posts, read 4,724,098 times
I understand that these days people are relying on that wage to live on...Back in the 1960's when my
husband worked fast food it was an after school/weekend job....Times have changed, I'm not sure what
the hourly wage should be.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 PM

11,498 posts, read 7,480,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
........., I just wish the greedy corporate CEOs were willing to take a cut in order to pay them more..........
If the CEO of McDonalds, who makes 13 million/year, donated his entire paycheck to the 440,000 employees of McDonalds, it would amount to 30 dollars/years for each employee.
Clearly, you have not identified the problem.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 PM

11,920 posts, read 13,303,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If the CEO of McDonalds, who makes 13 million/year, donated his entire paycheck to the 440,000 employees of McDonalds, it would amount to 30 dollars/years for each employee.
Clearly, you have not identified the problem.
Most people are incapable of identifying the problems. It's much easier to react to them though, without offering any practical alternative or solution of course.

I find it interesting though... One poster pointed out that we are heavily subsidizing low income workers. We'll we are doing the same with college students. What benefit has that that provided exactly? In both cases, we are getting a very poor return on our investment.

The government is never the answer. They only exacerbate the problem... But alas, many will simply call out for MORE help (if you can call it that) from the government. It's an endless cycle that only leads to bigger, more bloated and inefficient government.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 AM

1,453 posts, read 857,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If it comes to pass, kiosks will be programmed to ask:

"Would you like fries with that?"
Bob, True that brother.. Places like WaWa already use touch screen ordering, which will be the likely replacements for unskilled workers that come mandated at $15 an hour. To me it's sad, bcuz I like the human factor when ordering.. but politics may drive a lot of human beings out of food service.

Something else that seems neglected.. if businesses are compelled to pay entry-level, unskilled labor 15 an hour, that will also mean they'll have to pay all management and their experienced subordinates more. A manager can't be fairly expected to earn the same as their new employees. Large, sudden increases in min. wage could price out a lot of ppl. It will also spike inflation, & diminish the value of the dollar.. In the end, I just see a lot more ppl ending up on public assistance, but maybe that's the real end-game (?)

Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,476,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If it comes to pass, kiosks will be programmed to ask:

"Would you like fries with that?"

In many many locations including here in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania it's already happening and growing very rapidly.

Here is the ordering screen at WaWa which is a massive convenience store with a full food menu of breakfast and lunch/dinner options.

On the local Ms Donalds front in this area, a friend of mine who is a nephew to a franchisee with five stores is already planning self ordering kiosks starting next year regardless of whether or not the minimum wage is raised. He said it's his uncles plan to eliminate ordering problems by eliminating additional labor.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,820,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Dream on! Fast food has always drawn its labor from the bottom of the societal heap, and this has intensified since high school and college students in upscale ares often have better opportunities -- if they have to work at all. The "rough edges" do leave an opportunity for the motivated to advance into managerial roles fairly quickly, but since managerial "soft skills" are widely distributed among the public and interchangeable, one can only get so far. The real responsibility, and the real potential reward rests, as always, with the entrepreneurial franchisee.

If the current occupant of the White House seeks to pay his debts to that segment of the labor force which offers its blind loyalty because it is too unmotivated to recognize other options, then the patrons (of whom there still seems to be a generous supply) will simply be asked to foot the bill.

??? In Portland, you can find college graduates flipping hamburgers, serving Slurpees (TM), and flipping frappuccinos.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
On the local Ms Donalds front in this area, a friend of mine who is a nephew to a franchisee with five stores is already planning self ordering kiosks starting next year regardless of whether or not the minimum wage is raised. He said it's his uncles plan to eliminate ordering problems by eliminating additional labor.

Maybe consumers should eliminate McDonalds from their menu.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Bob, True that brother.. Places like WaWa already use touch screen ordering, which will be the likely replacements for unskilled workers that come mandated at $15 an hour. To me it's sad, bcuz I like the human factor when ordering.. but politics may drive a lot of human beings out of food service.

Something else that seems neglected.. if businesses are compelled to pay entry-level, unskilled labor 15 an hour, that will also mean they'll have to pay all management and their experienced subordinates more. A manager can't be fairly expected to earn the same as their new employees. Large, sudden increases in min. wage could price out a lot of ppl. It will also spike inflation, & diminish the value of the dollar.. In the end, I just see a lot more ppl ending up on public assistance, but maybe that's the real end-game (?)

I consider fast food management way overpaid as it is.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Most people are incapable of identifying the problems. It's much easier to react to them though, without offering any practical alternative or solution of course.

I find it interesting though... One poster pointed out that we are heavily subsidizing low income workers. We'll we are doing the same with college students. What benefit has that that provided exactly? In both cases, we are getting a very poor return on our investment.

The government is never the answer. They only exacerbate the problem... But alas, many will simply call out for MORE help (if you can call it that) from the government. It's an endless cycle that only leads to bigger, more bloated and inefficient government.

??? Is it better to subsidize low income workers than to subsidize low income non-workers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or