U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 PM

13,747 posts, read 8,738,011 times

Advertisements

I have one question. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,372,127 times
A 125 mile tunnel under the Bearing sea????? LMAO. That entire region is nothing more then one big fault line. Are you interested in traveling for 2 hours under the ocean in a tunnel, under the Bearing sea, along over 120 fault lines, designed and engineered by the Chinese? Me either!

Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 PM

11,428 posts, read 6,838,860 times
The whole thread (and several others like it) are just a demonstration of how the wishful thinking of a group of youngsters with too much science-fantasy, too little "hard science", and very little exposure to an industry to which their immediate ancestors had much greater exposure, have led us all to expect too much.

But while the process of what we serious rail buffs call "foaming" continues, the real (freight) rail industry has, for the past thirty years, been slowly and steadily recapturing freight traffic -- and with public-sector aid limited to the one-time prop of Conrail and cooperation with local commuter agencies on projects with shared benefits.

Canada? Alaska? Well, you have to have followed the industry for quite a while to recall that Canada began redeveloping the British Columbia Railway (nee Pacific Great Eastern) not long after World War II, eventually expanding it from a local carrier (Quesnel - Squamish // all water-borne cnnections) into a line from North Vancouver all the way to Fort Saint John; also, that the PGE began work on an extension to Fairbanks in the late Sixties, but mothballed it about five years later.

The British Columbia Railway came under the control of the Canadian National. which was privatized and eventually acquired an interest in American lines as far south as New Orleans (former Illinois Central). The point being that, as with the electric utilities, the freight railroads have become a moderately-prosperous, stable component of the emerging practice of "state" capitalism.

I expect the missing link between Prince George, BC, and Fairbanks/Anchorage to be completed some day, but not so soon that many of those here are likely to live to see it. Whether the inherent efficiency of steel wheels on steel rails, powered by electric catenary rather than fossil fuel, could put a dent in ocean-borne commerce is far too speculative to call.

I wouldn't expect environmental extremists with "scare tactic" campaigns featuring cuddly polar bears to win out in the long run, however.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-11-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,231,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
A 125 mile tunnel under the Bearing sea????? LMAO. That entire region is nothing more then one big fault line. Are you interested in traveling for 2 hours under the ocean in a tunnel, under the Bearing sea, along over 120 fault lines, designed and engineered by the Chinese? Me either!
This is correct.

I would never want to risk my life travelling under such conditions. I think a lot of the domestic flights should be reduced though and replaced with highspeed rail lines across the US.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 PM

726 posts, read 666,819 times
a two day trip? **** that. Work on teleportation instead.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,044,016 times
Passenger train? no. Freight train? Lets do it! get all 4 countries to get involved to help fund and build it.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 929,296 times
No kidding, I looked at my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. No chance this will ever happen.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,177,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
What do you think of this? A high-speed rail line from Beijing right through Canada to the eastern U.S. A two-day trip at an average speed of 200 mph. Is this feasible? It is still in the planning phase.

China 'considering' building high-speed rail line from Beijing to the United States | South China Morning Post
No way it's going to be more than a dream.

They are currently contemplating building a high speed rail from Las Vegas to Victorville California (a total route of less than 180 miles) at an estimated cost of over $350 million. That's totally above ground. The cost of this project would be astronomical, and really, for what purpose? Tourism?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:34 AM

33,198 posts, read 39,260,099 times
If the rail line dont work maybe the bridge will..
https://www.asme.org/engineering-top...te-engineering

I think some one is sitting in an office cubical somewhere with way too much free time on their hands..

Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM

30,426 posts, read 31,333,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
The Chinese building a railways across North America?

That is so 1860's.
US honors Chinese who built Transcontinental Railroad|Across Americas|chinadaily.com.cn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or