U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 PM
 
Location: The Great West
2,073 posts, read 1,896,132 times
Reputation: 4043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
A lot of black people make edgy and controversial comments. A lot more white people would do the same if they knew the consequences would be equal. A white person can't even admit to saying the n word 30 years ago. A word folks. A word.
I know it's not even worth saying this to you but the N word means much more to black people than being just a WORD. This "word" dehumanized a whole section of people to little more than property. This is something neither you or I will EVER understand, but the difference between us is that I try because I am tolerant and open-minded.

And yeah, this thread has a lot to do with you because some of us are trying to tell others not to take you seriously. Seems to be working, actually.

Keep going on with your attention-seeking tactics, I find it amusingly pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:08 PM
 
559 posts, read 583,206 times
Reputation: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDrogg View Post
Why arent black NFL players like Derrick Ward and Don Jones being immediately suspended by Roger Goodell for posting disparaging Tweets about the infamous Michael Sam gay kiss seen 'round the world? What they Tweeted was far worse than anything Don Sterling said in private.

Oh yeah, it's because they're black people --- the only race that enjoys carte blanche when it comes to unpunishable social commentary.
I am really getting sick of some people claiming that black people can do/say whatever they want and never pay any consequences. Give me a break! Have you people been living under a rock? Have any of you ever heard of Isaiah Washington? He made an anti-gay remark about his colleague back in 2007. He was promptly fired from Grey's Anatomy, and barely had any acting gigs since then. I think Grey's actually invited him back recently for a cameo on their show. But the point is, he certainly paid consequences for his ignorant remark. Tracy Morgan got in trouble for saying ignorant things about gay people. Whoopi Goldberg lost her Slim Fast endorsement deal when she made jokes about George Bush at a Kerry fundraiser. Rapper Rick Ross lost his Reebok endorsement over controversial lyrics pertaining to rape. Tiger Woods lost multiple endorsements after his infidelity scandal. Kobe lost some endorsement deals when he was accused of sexual assault. Teyana Taylor lost her Adidas endorsement when she posted tweets making fun of domestic violence. And do I even need to mention Michael Vick?

This is far from an exhaustive list, but it is more than enough to prove that the claim that black people get away with everything is pure bullsh*t. So please, PLEASE spare me the "poor innocent persecuted white person/those mean old black people" routine. How much trouble any of these people get into (regardless of race) usually boils down to one thing -- how much money does their employer or sponsor think they're going to lose by continuing to do business with the person. That's it. If enough noise is made AND if they think the person is going to make them lose a significant amount of money, then chances are high that the powers that be will sever ties with the offender. Otherwise, they may be asked to make an apology and sometimes it doesn't even reach that point. If they don't think the person is going to cost them money, then going after the person is simply not high on their to do list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM
 
11,409 posts, read 6,453,753 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I know it's not even worth saying this to you but the N word means much more to black people than being just a WORD. This "word" dehumanized a whole section of people to little more than property. This is something neither you or I will EVER understand, but the difference between us is that I try because I am tolerant and open-minded.
Sounds like a PC explanation. A word only has power if one gives it power. One must also give context to a word. One's upbringing must also be taken into account. Let's say one grows up in the 50s and their parents use the n word often to describe hooligans that cause trouble in the neighborhood - should one's life be torn down if they admit to also using the word 40 yrs ago which was more socially acceptable at the time?

Quote:
And yeah, this thread has a lot to do with you because some of us are trying to tell others not to take you seriously. Seems to be working, actually.

Keep going on with your attention-seeking tactics, I find it amusingly pathetic.
The thread is about me because people don't like being called out on hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Texas
7,825 posts, read 5,459,576 times
Reputation: 6422
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Says the "Round Mound of Rebound".

LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
240 posts, read 339,259 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I am really getting sick of some people claiming that black people can do/say whatever they want and never pay any consequences. Give me a break! Have you people been living under a rock? Have any of you ever heard of Isaiah Washington? He made an anti-gay remark about his colleague back in 2007. He was promptly fired from Grey's Anatomy, and barely had any acting gigs since then. I think Grey's actually invited him back recently for a cameo on their show. But the point is, he certainly paid consequences for his ignorant remark. Tracy Morgan got in trouble for saying ignorant things about gay people. Whoopi Goldberg lost her Slim Fast endorsement deal when she made jokes about George Bush at a Kerry fundraiser. Rapper Rick Ross lost his Reebok endorsement over controversial lyrics pertaining to rape. Tiger Woods lost multiple endorsements after his infidelity scandal. Kobe lost some endorsement deals when he was accused of sexual assault. Teyana Taylor lost her Adidas endorsement when she posted tweets making fun of domestic violence. And do I even need to mention Michael Vick?

This is far from an exhaustive list, but it is more than enough to prove that the claim that black people get away with everything is pure bullsh*t. So please, PLEASE spare me the "poor innocent persecuted white person/those mean old black people" routine. How much trouble any of these people get into (regardless of race) usually boils down to one thing -- how much money does their employer or sponsor think they're going to lose by continuing to do business with the person. That's it. If enough noise is made AND if they think the person is going to make them lose a significant amount of money, then chances are high that the powers that be will sever ties with the offender. Otherwise, they may be asked to make an apology and sometimes it doesn't even reach that point. If they don't think the person is going to cost them money, then going after the person is simply not high on their to do list.

Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,175 posts, read 2,169,055 times
Reputation: 8115
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's hard not to see the elephant in the room.
You mean this one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
 
821 posts, read 883,361 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well certain cities have very high rates of black crime. Would a white commentator be ok making a joke about thugs in those cities?
A white commentator has been punished for this some time ago.

The Silenced Greaseman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 03:54 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
7,192 posts, read 7,529,759 times
Reputation: 7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I am really getting sick of some people claiming that black people can do/say whatever they want and never pay any consequences. Give me a break! Have you people been living under a rock? Have any of you ever heard of Isaiah Washington? He made an anti-gay remark about his colleague back in 2007. He was promptly fired from Grey's Anatomy, and barely had any acting gigs since then. I think Grey's actually invited him back recently for a cameo on their show. But the point is, he certainly paid consequences for his ignorant remark. Tracy Morgan got in trouble for saying ignorant things about gay people. Whoopi Goldberg lost her Slim Fast endorsement deal when she made jokes about George Bush at a Kerry fundraiser. Rapper Rick Ross lost his Reebok endorsement over controversial lyrics pertaining to rape. Tiger Woods lost multiple endorsements after his infidelity scandal. Kobe lost some endorsement deals when he was accused of sexual assault. Teyana Taylor lost her Adidas endorsement when she posted tweets making fun of domestic violence. And do I even need to mention Michael Vick?

This is far from an exhaustive list, but it is more than enough to prove that the claim that black people get away with everything is pure bullsh*t. So please, PLEASE spare me the "poor innocent persecuted white person/those mean old black people" routine. How much trouble any of these people get into (regardless of race) usually boils down to one thing -- how much money does their employer or sponsor think they're going to lose by continuing to do business with the person. That's it. If enough noise is made AND if they think the person is going to make them lose a significant amount of money, then chances are high that the powers that be will sever ties with the offender. Otherwise, they may be asked to make an apology and sometimes it doesn't even reach that point. If they don't think the person is going to cost them money, then going after the person is simply not high on their to do list.
Quote of the Thread
Repped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 04:08 PM
 
11,409 posts, read 6,453,753 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
A white commentator has been punished for this some time ago.

The Silenced Greaseman
Pretty much as I suspected. The scarlet R (for racist) is something that once branded - it's hard to take away. Apologies just don't cut. You can apologize for a lot of bad things in life, but that's just not one them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,653 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Reputation: 57369
Maybe if I were a minority I would feel differently, and I can't walk in their shoes, but I really would rather know where a person is honestly coming from than have them fake it to my face, but feel differently.

I have said many times, for example, I think Georgia must have the fattest people on the planet. Its a true and honest observation. Why couldn't I say this on TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top