Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Anyway, everyone knows that Texas is fattyville.

And firing Chuck is a waste of time. He'll be working somewhere else in an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Isn't Charles Barkley married to a white women?
If Charles Barkley owned a team and for years ran the team like a slum lord NBA Owner, then I would be more upset.

I thought this was cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQMiNyys4jo
Who cares what race his wife is. And everyone knows Charles is a legendary jolly fat dude. Why is he jolly? Because he's a multimillionaire.

And those three councilwomen are all pretty nice-looking.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:50 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,706 times
Who cares ? Are you not allowed to express a personal opinion anymore ?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,238 times
My elementary school aged child peered over my shoulder while this clip was up on YouTube:

DAVE CHAPPELE: why black people hang out with white dudes lmaoo - YouTube

-My child looked at the title and said, "Isn't that racist?"
-I asked, "well do you think it is racist?"
-My child responded, "Well it depends on the context."

Why is it that a child who hasn't yet fully mastered long division can grasp the concept of context but full grown adults cannot?

For example, try Googling "rude Swedes". You will be presented with a number of examples like this:

Swedish Etiquette - Stockholm Swedes are actually very rude | Stockholm Sucks

I would think that this concept of "universal Swedish rudeness" is rooted in stereotypes. Such an assertion is intended to denigrate all Swedes, because how can EVERYONE of one nationality be universally of one personality type. This particular blogger even posits that "somewhere in history, when the Swedish Kings were breeding blond hair, blue eyes, and broad shoulders into their minions, they forgot to include social awareness, empathy, and common courtesy." Personally I think that is offensive. However, look at the following:

Swedish Chef - Meatballs - YouTube

The Swedish Chef that we all know and love from the Muppets is based on the same stereotypes. Just because Americans don't speak Swedish and Swedish immigrants completely assimilated into a "white" identity that means the Swedish language is just jibberish? But what is the context? This commercial airs once per hour on the ESPN family of networks:

This Is SportsCenter - Henrik Lundqvist - YouTube

Is ESPN truly denigrating the Swedish and just have Lunqvist in the commercial to legitimize their bigotry? Is the TNT Network truly attempting to be hostile to "Big ol' women" in San Antonio but legitimizing the discrimination by using "Big ol' Charles Barkley" as the mouthpiece? What Jewish Donald Sterling has said over the past couple of weeks and done over the course of 35 years is clearly a declaration of hostility and discriminatory against Blacks. But Jewish Gilbert Gottfried imitating Black Ice-T is just funny:

Gilbert Gottfreid Roasts Hugh Hefner - YouTube

It is all about context. And remember, for as "racist" or insulting Shaq is, he is force to "get" as good as he "gives":

Jeff Ross Roast of Emmitt Smith - YouTube

Last edited by Steelers10; 05-15-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: accidentally posted link twice

Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 PM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
Lol they got three unattractive middle aged women to rip on Charles Barkley (who wasn't even talking about them since they aren't fat) for the shorts he wore in the 80s while he was in the NBA earning millions?

People are haters. The fact that they even took time out of their day (shouldn't they be running the city??) shows how trivial these people are.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Lol they got three unattractive middle aged women to rip on Charles Barkley (who wasn't even talking about them since they aren't fat) for the shorts he wore in the 80s while he was in the NBA earning millions?

People are haters. The fact that they even took time out of their day (shouldn't they be running the city??) shows how trivial these people are.

What is funny is that one of the council-ladies said SA's obesity rate has dropped below the state average FOR THE FIRST TIME since Barkley wore those shorts (the 80s)!!

I think eddiehaskell = Clayton Bigsby.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Why is it that a child who hasn't yet fully mastered long division can grasp the concept of context but full grown adults cannot?

For example, try Googling "rude Swedes". You will be presented with a number of examples like this:
Context is great if all people can make jokes and just say "well in context it's not so bad".

If a white person in Barkley's position makes a joke about say blacks...they'll be fired. Imus is a shock jock and he had the NAACP, Sharpon, civil/women's rights groups, etc wanting him fired for saying "nappy-headed hos". I say if we are going to protect some people from everything they consider offensive than lets protect everyone from things that are considered offensive (overweight, gay, black, Jewish, etc)

Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Who is Charles Barkely and WHY is he relevant?

Someone should insult bald,stupid people like him.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
[/indent]Charles Barkley responds to criticism over fat*jokes | SI Wire

Should he be fired? Now we have Shaq insulting disabled people and Barkley insulting overweight people. I believe it's Kenny's turn now.
RELAX!!! Most people in San Antonio know that Charles Barkley is just kidding and just joke along with it. Why make this into something that it's not?
As a former San Antonian, I can tell you that he's right on the money with his statements.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 AM

119 posts, read 300,288 times
People think he should be fired for that comment???? What's wrong with stating there are a lot of fat people in a certain area that is known to have a lot of fat people? LOL VS doesn't cater to the obese, that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events