U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 AM

11,354 posts, read 6,418,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLady78 View Post
So it's okay to make fun of obesity? I guess since he's such a slender man it's okay for him to do that. What next: make fun of invalids? mentally incapacitated?

No one told him to visit San Antonio...or to talk with the women...I'm sure he's become persona non-grata with his callous comments...

Oh...and to call the women "churro eating"...hm, sounds a little racist to me...and HE is the last person who should make those comments..

Just another crass "athlete" has been who forgets who made him wealthy...because without the fans, he would still be playing basketball or peddling himself elsewhere...
I agree. Fat bashing has gotten way out of control in this country. It's taboo to joke about race/gays so it's as if people funneled their teasing/bullying to the fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,211,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I agree. Obesity has gotten way out of control in this country.
Fixed it for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:44 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Quote:
I agree. Fat bashing has gotten way out of control in this country. It's taboo to joke about race/gays so it's as if people funneled their teasing/bullying to the fat.
Maybe there's nothing wrong with joking about race & gays either and more people, if they realized that, would do so.

Take a joke already. It reminds me of a group of friends, FRIENDS, I knew that in a social situation around others were wearing a shirt that had "CP" embossed onto the front. These people were African-Americans who knew I liked to joke around. Someone noticed the CP letters and asked what they meant, they paused, and I chimed in "cotton picker."

No one got all butt-hurt about it, we enjoyed a good laugh. More people should do the same.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,848,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLady78 View Post
No one told him to visit San Antonio...or to talk with the women...I'm sure he's become persona non-grata with his callous comments...
Wrong, WRONG, wrong, wrong, more Wrong, and wrong again:

San Antonio Mayor Defends City Against Big, Mean Bully Charles Barkley | Texas Monthly

I hope you took the time to actually READ the article and actually WATCH the response for the mayor. Did you check the date on the article? It is flabbergasting how many people on this thread have no grasp whatsoever about the context of Barkley's remarks and are talking sheer out of their a$$es. Thanks for finally weighing in, in the year 2014. You have made it readily apparent that you do not watch "Inside the NBA" with Charles Barkley and know nothing about the root of the comments. Unfortunately for you all, you are clowning yourselves because this alleged "controversy" has been going on YEARS as clearly stated by San Antonio's mayor in the clip.

As I have stated repeatedly, this is not just Charles Barkley making "one way" comments. As you can see from the clip and reading the article, this is a friendly back and forth that has been going between Charles and the city of San Antonio for quite a few years. To be specific, Charles has been making these so-called insults since AT LEAST the '93 playoffs when he beat the Spurs as a member of the Phoenix Suns.

So Charles actually has been invited to the city, has eaten all of the Tex-Mex food that he is allegedly racist against, and has ridden on gondolas down the "dirty creek" (Riverwalk) where San Antonio residents took selfies with him. TNT cameras filmed the whole thing. Turner Networks do not have the rights to the Conference Finals (I believe) but rest assured, the next time TNT broadcasts a compelling playoff series featuring the Spurs, Charles will make his comments about San Antonio like he has been doing for the past TWO DECADES, he will go down to the city, he will get free meals, and people (including the "big ol' women") will line up to take pictures with him. Again.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:42 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,848,602 times
Quote:
It's not a debate on who has it worse. And in many cases I would say overweight people can endure more discrimination/bullying than any race or sexual orientation.
Well, thanks for completely making that up and fashioning a supposition that has no basis in fact or reality whatsoever. African Americans and Native Americans have been forced out of their homes and lands. Jews had Kristallnacht and were dragged out of their homes by the Gestapo. Gays and Lesbians had Stonewall and Matthew Shepard's murder just to name two incidents off of the top of my head. However, there a lot of pot-bellied Klansmen and Neo-Nazis that apparently don't tolerate anybody except for their overweight selves.

So yeah, please let us know when you have something besides hypotheticals you have made up and can find one instance in history where "fat" people have been dragged out of their homes solely on the basis of being "fat" and no other ethnic or social characteristics. So perhaps NAAFA needs to find the overweight people from these pictures and let them know if they want acceptance as fat people then they need to start accepting others first. I think we can safely say that these "fat people" didn't accept Charles Barkley first!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:42 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,361,414 times
Charles is right, and no he shouldn't apologize. Texas is chock full o' fatties. Getting fat doesn't just happen, they aren't born that way. It is due to a long string of poor decisions. Don't like being fat, make better decisions.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
Quote:
But who are you to decide what look or shape we should or should not accept?

Are you one of the parents that feel morally righteous by encouraging your child to pick on the fat kids? Making their life a little more miserable and getting tons of laughs will just motivate them to lose weight, right?
Your comments have nothing to do with what I said. What we should be doing is encouraging people to live a better life. Making fun of anyone would not have that kind of effect don't you think? Overeating, and yes that is what we are talking about here, is an activity that should not be encouraged. Being fat is a choice. Being thin is a choice. I know from experience that it is not easy losing a lot of weight. I know what it is like to have 70lbs of extra weight on the body. I also know how to get rid of it and even more than working out, reducing what you put in works best.

What I want for people is to live a better life, have a better quality of life. Reduce the amount of time that they come into the hospital. People complain about the cost of healthcare when the funny thing is that 75% of the patients did not have to be here at the hospital. we have a bariatric department now. Amazing. We have large beds and wheelchairs that will fit 2 fit people, sitting side by side. That is amazing.

Let me tell you a story about a little girl that grew up on my street. She was large for her age. She had kids making fun of her all the time on our street. Years go by. My brother is at a club in Hollywood and a girl comes up to him. She calls him by name and they start to talk. She tells my brother that he does not recognize her does he. He says no that he does not recognize her. She then tells him her name. She was the little fat girl that everyone picked on. Everyone accept for my family. I have 4 sisters and 3 brothers and not one of us ever made fun of her. She tells my brother that growing up we had the only house on the street where no one made fun of her and treated her like a person. By this time she is very wealthy. She tells my brother that if him or anyone in my family needs anything to give her a call.

Treat people with respect and kindness? Got it. That is how I was raised and how my kids were raised.

As for me I am not one to decide how anyone should look. I do know when someone has a body that is out of balance though. Our bodies were not designed to be overweight.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM

525 posts, read 1,113,093 times
I still don't get why this is such a debate. Being overweight is not healthy. Being overweight in most cases (not all but most) is a result of bad decision making. Most folks don't dispute that.

But when did those things become justification to bully, belittle and treat people like crap because of it? I just don't get it.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM

11,354 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Well, thanks for completely making that up and fashioning a supposition that has no basis in fact or reality whatsoever. African Americans and Native Americans have been forced out of their homes and lands. Jews had Kristallnacht and were dragged out of their homes by the Gestapo. Gays and Lesbians had Stonewall and Matthew Shepard's murder just to name two incidents off of the top of my head. However, there a lot of pot-bellied Klansmen and Neo-Nazis that apparently don't tolerate anybody except for their overweight selves.

So yeah, please let us know when you have something besides hypotheticals you have made up and can find one instance in history where "fat" people have been dragged out of their homes solely on the basis of being "fat" and no other ethnic or social characteristics. So perhaps NAAFA needs to find the overweight people from these pictures and let them know if they want acceptance as fat people then they need to start accepting others first. I think we can safely say that these "fat people" didn't accept Charles Barkley first!
Once again you are trying to look back at history to make a "who's had it worse" comparison. That is irrelevant. Bullies usually try to justify their actions in this matter.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,101,590 times
Quote:
Well certain cities have very high rates of black crime. Would a white commentator be ok making a joke about thugs in those cities?

I don't see how it's OK to insult a certain group of people just because they may be overrepresented in a certain area. What about a good ol' gay joke when visiting San Francisco?
Fat women are different than race. Except for a small percentage of cases fat people just eat too much.

Also, I didn't read all of his comments (just the ones in the OP's quote), but he doesn't insult fat women, he's just pointing out that San Antonio has a lot of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events