Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times

Advertisements

Here are two prior articles about this situation-

this one from October 2013:

Casey Kasem

and this one from December 2013:

Casey Kasem's kids finally see ailing father, still feuding with stepmom Jean Kasem - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 01:54 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Default Advanced Rare Dementia not Parkinsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I've been following the story and I really feel bad for his children. Parkinson's is a bad illness and does take a toll on ppl. Katharine Hepburn, Muhammad Ali, Michael J. Fox, Dick Clark, and now Casey Kasem.
Exactly, Rick. Human beings who have seen other families suffer "get it."

I think I posted the article that Casey has advanced Dementia, a rare form, not Parkinsons as is so commonly mis-stated. I only mention it as Parkinsons happens a little differently.

With this rarer type of Dementia, who knows what medications, diet or other he may need? It makes having him suddenly "disappear," even worse. Maybe certain foods have to be avoided or other. He needs those who know what he needs providing his daily
care. I doubt Casey can tell others much about his type of Dementia or even if he has drug allergies.

I appreciate your post, ItsRick24.

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Question Which Part is a Personal Family Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Personal family matter.
I'm confused and want to understand your post, desertdetroiter. A missing person, the fact Jean Kasem's attorney didn't know where Casey was, a wife not allowing his children to visit him or other are a personal family matter. I might agree with you, in theory, if I knew more.

Please clarify so I can understand your post more accurately.

Thanks.

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 02:12 PM

Wink Yes, Scooby Doo and other Voice-Over Work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
That's so weird, I had no idea he had dementia or was missing, but just last night, I was thinking of how he was the voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo. My son and I were discussing the longest running shows on TV.
aneye4detail,

Now you know more. MMot people have forgotten or didn't know all of his voice work.

Maybe someday if you ever need to discuss illness and guardianship etc. with your son (which I hope you don't ever have to do) you have a reference point of discussing the tv shows.

Thanks for reminding us Casey did more than American Top 40

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Default IPartially Agree; Judge has More Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If the children are being difficult on the wife, as she has said, then I don't know that I blame her. I am NOT saying that is what is going on, I am saying IF that is what is going on.

The children are making it sound like they're oh so perfect and all they want to do is see "dead old Dad." What if they are being disrespectful to his wife, though, without any reason for it? If that's the case, then the onus is on them to stop it already or else his wife has every right to bar the door and keep them out. She is his wife FIRST and they are his children SECOND.

We're speculating, naturally, but that's my thoughts, again, assuming that's what's actually happening, we don't know.

To me it parallels other situations like it I've seen--two grown children who have young children and one of the spouse's parents are disrespectful to their daughter/son-in-law, yet still assert their "right" to see their grandchildren. Nope. I am guy, and if my mother was ugly to my wife, my mother loses any "right" to see our children REGARDLESS of the reality that they are her grandchildren. You don't have to be sugary-sweet to her every moment, but if you're always critical and argumentative with her, you're out of here, your "grandparent" status notwithstanding. You're not being prevented from seeing your grandchildren, you're doing it to yourself.

Whoever is at fault, they need to work it out, because the man is not likely to be around much longer, and do they really want his last days to be tainted by memories of these awful experiences?
Shyguylh,

I really appreciate your post. You are so correct in many of the things you've written.

Ultimately, none of us were there when Casey married his second wife, who is not the biological mother to his children. Who knows for sure if she was thrilled to be a parent anyway possible, or if the STEP part of mother is something she emphasized etc.

I've followed his decline in health for a few years. I agree how families decide to care for the ill parent is a family matter. However, I also believe both his wife and children have the right to know where he is and what type of care he is receiving.

I know they have been to court previously about similar issues.

I don't think it reflects well of Jean Kasem to not know where her husband, with advanced dementia is.

And while we do not have all the facts, the judge who ordered Casey. to be found and temporary Conservatorship to be given to his daughter, I have to believe the judge took more facts into his decision.

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Cool Nice Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And what happened to the pictures I was supposed to see this week?

Casey Kasem Loses It In The Studio - YouTube
Nice, Labonte! I've heard some of his YouTube "errors" and let's us all remember our On Air Stars have many sides.

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 02:57 PM

Default Sadly, True

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
from what I read its been going on for sometime just a new development and many stories are from one side or the other. Common where large estates are concerned; sadly.
You are correct, texdav. Situations like this emerge over potential estates. However, I've also seen the same types of situation where survivors would get nothing to little. Sometimes conflicts break out so one person has to be the responsible one for giving medications and deciding who would "have" to pay for final costs. It's not always due to large amounts of money.

I've also seen family members do similar things to prove "he loved me the most." I don't share the same definition of love as some I've referenced above. I wonder how Casey made decisions when he could?

Thanks....good point.

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Default Not Just Money - Their Young Family Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. She didn't marry a rich guy 21 years her senior only to have his kids inherit some of his money.
Malamute, you sum the money part up well. Additionally, Casey was the father his daughters had before he married again. Clearly, for at least a couple of his children, they are truly concerned about him (and have been for a while).

If their only goal was money, they could do something with a Kardashian and maybe get a role leading to their own own spinoff. Conversely, I believe one of his daughters, Kerri Kasem, is quite successful on her own.
Kerri Kasem Online | Official Website | Welcome

I hope the court orders mediation or something similar so his daughters and wife all can both see him and care for him.

MSR

Old 05-17-2014, 05:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. She didn't marry a rich guy 21 years her senior only to have his kids inherit some of his money.
And certainly staying married to him for THIRTY-FOUR years shows just how devoted she is to getting his every penny. She surely would have divorced him after just a few years and gotten half his estate, if that was all she was after.

The whole thing just sounds like an ugly family feud, with the step-children having had (and still do) a problem with their father's new, younger wife.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
And certainly staying married to him for THIRTY-FOUR years shows just how devoted she is to getting his every penny. She surely would have divorced him after just a few years and gotten half his estate, if that was all she was after.

The whole thing just sounds like an ugly family feud, with the step-children having had (and still do) a problem with their father's new, younger wife.
You can tell what a greedy thing she is --- she's whining that one of Kasem's kids owes $100,000 -- for college or something. Out of $80 million dollars???!!! She's worried about a repayment of $100,000? They are his kids -- but she expects them to have nothing from him.

Of course she stayed with him, she's nothing but an ageing wanna-be startlet -- why settle for half when she knew age would get the best of him and she intends to have it all? You just have to look at pictures of his wholesome looking first family and then the younger wife and her trashy looking daughter to see who is out for the big money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events