U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 AM

10,401 posts, read 8,371,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Just wait for it...... This is a slow out the gate topic but its there.... I'm not even going to stoke the fire on this one.
The dog was obviously smitten by global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:01 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,794,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
The dog was already put down.
That is the way to handle the dog.

Kill it the first time it bites, not second chance.

Some town and cities have a crazy one free bite law, and the dog will go free,
even if it tears a child's face half off.

No action is taken until the dog makes an attacks on a person
making for it's second offence.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:10 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,595,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
That is the way to handle the dog.

Kill it the first time it bites, not second chance.

Some town and cities have a crazy one free bite law, and the dog will go free,
even if it tears a child's face half off.

No action is taken until the dog makes an attacks on a person
making for it's second offence.

In this case the dog is clearly attacking unprovoked. But there are plenty of times when a dog may bite defensively because someone was doing something they shouldn't have been doing, e.g. abusing the animal or the animal's owner. What you are saying makes no sense in that scenario. You are saying "Kill the dog on the first offense, without exception." When there are very clear cut situations when that would be the wrong thing to do. It's a black and white approach to a complicated problem.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:11 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,619,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Apparently the thread was moved from another forum, which nullifies any comments made with that not in mind.
Sometimes it's just easier to admit to being wrong, than to spin your response, like you are doing above.

It's not worth wasting any more of my time reading your posts.

Welcome to my Ignore List.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:17 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,186,295 times
Thank god the cat was there. That kid would have been dead if it wasn't for the cat. I'd sue the shyt out of my neighbors

Old 05-17-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'd sue the shyt out of my neighbors
What good would that do?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
What good would that do?
Maybe it would get them to think twice before owning another vicious dog, and letting it run loose.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Maybe it would get them to think twice before owning another vicious dog, and letting it run loose.
I guess that would depend a lot upon your relationship with your neighbors. If you feel like they aren't remorseful, and you want to spend years of your time and energy to financially ruin someone just to prove a point, then go for it. Otherwise, I think having them pay the medical bills and having it be done with makes the most sense. But, maybe I'm just not as gratuitously litigious as you are.

Last edited by lizardspock; 05-17-2014 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 PM

22,790 posts, read 28,659,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thank god the cat was there. That kid would have been dead if it wasn't for the cat. I'd sue the shyt out of my neighbors
how much money do you think you would be entitled to? people seem to think every potential lawsuit opportunity is a chance to become a millionaire.

id have to know more before destroying the lives of the owners. of course, its good the dog didn't kill the kid because then its harder to not want to destroy their lives.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 AM

20,783 posts, read 15,507,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
...But having worked with dogs literally since the time I could walk, I can honestly say that I have never observed this type of behavior from a dog. They do not typically "stalk" prey in this way - usually there would either be some sort of confrontation (or warning) OR the dog would just spot and then charge its target with no hesitation. But creeping around a corner like that and then grabbing the kid in such a calculated manner is just SO atypical of a domesticated dog attack.

I'm friends with a lot of other experienced dog people, and none of us are talking about the cat - we all acknowledge that any species will defend what is important to it. The dog's behavior is what has us talking - everyone agrees that even with all the problem dogs they've worked with, they've never observed behavior quite like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My first thought was that the dog has been tormented and teased by that child or other children that size........and when he had the opportunity to fight back......he took it.

When I was 6 years old, a neighbor's pony ran across the coral and bit my arm as I was standing in the feed trough.

I had always been nothing but kind to that pony......but the 6 year old who "owned" it and his cousin were constantly tormenting that poor pony.....smacking it with sticks and throwing stones at it.

I was collateral damage. That pony saw me as one of his enemies because I was a small human type just like them.

Even at that young age, I never blamed the pony......I blamed his tormentors.
I agree with both of you that it is not normal what this dog did. It's not typical that a dog will go to someone elses territory and attack, unprovoked. Makes you wonder what the history is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or