U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:13 PM

21,052 posts, read 22,637,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it seems more normal for a dog to be aggressive and bite others than a cat. that doesn't mean its normal. my cat attacked my brother (there was a reason for the attack) and my brother's gf (guilt by association it seemed, he didn't get her though). but my dog is more likely to attack someone than I he is. I usually lock her up when people come over, so hopefully she will never get anyone. if she got free, I wouldn't expect her to bite anyone but its a risk I wont take. she did manage to get free one time after she made an unexpected run while on leash before my garage had even fully opened. so I feel for people whose dogs get free and do damage.

its funny with dogs. to people she knows, she is overwhelmingly sweet and loving. but if she doesn't know you, don't come close. I know she would never hurt my 4 year old, but is an asset in keeping her safe. there is a good chance that this dog is the sweetest thing in the world to her family.
I have always been told that's because dogs are pack animals and very loyal to their pack members or those they know like their families. That's why when their families or packs say "My dog is so loving and wouldn't hurt our kids," it's true. But the dog would hurt someone else or someone else's kids because they are outside of the pack. The outsiders are not family or pack members and are therefore fair game.

I don't know much about dogs, I admit. That's just what's been explained to me about them.

I do know about cats though, and some will protect their territory very fiercely. If people are included in that territory, they will also be protected. I think this little boy, who was raised with this cat, was within the scope of her territory. It doesn't have to land boundaries, it can be something she feels she possesses. I don't think she thought of him as her kitten, mom cats forget their kittens were their babies once those babies have grown although there can still be a familiar close bond. But the little boy was "hers" and something of hers was being threatened and she had to protect it.

Who knows what goes on in a cat's mind? They are not pack animals. They pick and choose what they do. They are unpredictable. I think that's why people who like cats like them. They are a challenge. You just never know what they are thinking or exactly what they will do when they are not napping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,504,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Who says it would attack a kid again?
The dog has been proven by this video to be vicious and unpredictable. The dog's life is not worth the risk to an innocent child's life. I know you dog bite apologists will disagree. But if you can't understand that a human life is more important then a dog's life, then I don't know what to say. Except that your priorities are really messed up.

Fortunately the majority of people think a bit more clearly then you do, and the dog will be put down. Because we are not going to give it another chance to see if it will kill a child, the next time.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 AM

12,089 posts, read 5,688,792 times
Actually, my priorities are not messed up, but thanks for your concern. And I don't agree with you. I don't apologize for that either.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,651,725 times
This was discussed on the pet forum when people were advocating for Mickey, a dog who severely injured a child. I'm a longtime shelter volunteer, who wants every adoptable dog to have a chance at life. I posted in the Mickey thread that I thought he should be put down. He may have been provoked, and in a situation that made it easier for him to react as he did, but too many dogs who would never have attacked, die every day for lack of enough homes. Many in the rescue community agree with me, but there are a growing number of people who never want to give up on any dog. That only leaves less places in shelters and rescues for dogs that are much safer to have around. This dog, unlike Mickey, was not provoked in any way. We all know we can't save them all, and I can not believe we should put children at risk in hopes that an unstable dog like this one won't do the same thing in the future.

We can

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM

9,294 posts, read 16,232,772 times
that was a great post in your link, S2C and one I wholeheartedly agree with.... as tough as it is to reconcile in our rescue brains and hearts, we really can't save them all....... and should try to focus and expend more of our finite energies and resources on those who have not proven themselves a risk......

Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,997,829 times
Good kitty!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,615,490 times
I heard about this in passing but have just now seen the video. This is amazing. I want that cat.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM

5,838 posts, read 3,817,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually, my priorities are not messed up, but thanks for your concern. And I don't agree with you. I don't apologize for that either.
Please don't ever run for judge anywhere in my neck of the woods.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM

12,089 posts, read 5,688,792 times
^^^ Lol, why ever would I? What a strange post.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM

19,589 posts, read 13,212,226 times
The dog was found to be aggressive in the shelter to the shelter's personnel and was put down. I read a report someplace about it yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or