U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 AM

774 posts, read 701,271 times

Advertisements

Any info on the cat?

Who is she? he?

Has she? he? done heroic things before?

Name? age? breed?

Who are the owners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Any info on the cat?

Who is she? he?

Has she? he? done heroic things before?

Name? age? breed?

Who are the owners?
It's all over the internet. A simple search will answer all your questions

Google is your friend

BTW. The cat was a hero before. It helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima

Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,785,721 times
The breed of the dog is not important because all kinds of dogs will do the same thing
even small dogs.

Many kinds of cat will fight to protect it's territory and owners.

We have problems with raccoons in our area, and one of our neighbors
had 3 coons ( which can be very dangerous to their small children )
in their yard close to their house, and their black cat attacked and run them off.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:26 AM

23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
It's all over the internet. A simple search will answer all your questions

Google is your friend

BTW. The cat was a hero before. It helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima
lulz

Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 AM

28,760 posts, read 2,359,706 times
Cool cat, but I am wondering where the mother was running to after she checked on the child. She left him there, if only briefly, when she should have scooped the child up in her arms instead of leaving the child to get up and flee on his own. I guess she was checking to see where the dog was; however, for all she knew the dog was on its way back to the child from another direction that she couldn't see. As a mother she no doubt saw her error when she watched the video afterwards.

I am very glad they have such a protective and alert cat that was allowed to be outside with them. And of course I am very, very happy the child is o.k.
================================================

P.S. I noticed the difference in the video editing from when it first appeared online Thursday morning (which I referred to above in another thread) to what is being shown now. So I guess the parents DID see the error Mom made by not staying with her son and removing him from the scene of the attack. Therefore the parents didn't want too many more viewers to see the original video posting that I saw and I'm sure others saw as well. I don't blame them! Again, I'm glad the boy is fine.

Last edited by geebabe; 05-16-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times
What an awesome kitty! There is a minor league baseball team that asked for the cat to throw out the first pitch at their next game, and the family said yes, lol.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM

13,004 posts, read 12,434,284 times
My Siamese used to guard my sleep - anyone who snuck up on me when I was asleep would get attacked. When I was a kid, my father would poke his head in to see if I was asleep after he got in from his evening appointments, and my cat would charge him, shrieking at the top of his lungs. It was pretty crazy. And a friend who lived with me and my mother after I graduated high school got attacked one night when she got in late from a date and poked her head in to see if I was awake.

But having worked with dogs literally since the time I could walk, I can honestly say that I have never observed this type of behavior from a dog. They do not typically "stalk" prey in this way - usually there would either be some sort of confrontation (or warning) OR the dog would just spot and then charge its target with no hesitation. But creeping around a corner like that and then grabbing the kid in such a calculated manner is just SO atypical of a domesticated dog attack.

I'm friends with a lot of other experienced dog people, and none of us are talking about the cat - we all acknowledge that any species will defend what is important to it. The dog's behavior is what has us talking - everyone agrees that even with all the problem dogs they've worked with, they've never observed behavior quite like that.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 301,200 times
Geebabe - I agree and noted the different video edits also.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:04 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,604,436 times
Legal discussion on CNN:

Watch hero cat save kid from dog attack - YouTube

Interview with Family on Today show:

Hero House Cat Saves Boy From Dog Attack - Today Show - May 15 2014 - YouTube

Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
Arent the parents just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Californian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or