U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Ohio
14,315 posts, read 12,577,027 times
Reputation: 19022

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My Siamese used to guard my sleep - anyone who snuck up on me when I was asleep would get attacked. When I was a kid, my father would poke his head in to see if I was asleep after he got in from his evening appointments, and my cat would charge him, shrieking at the top of his lungs. It was pretty crazy. And a friend who lived with me and my mother after I graduated high school got attacked one night when she got in late from a date and poked her head in to see if I was awake.

But having worked with dogs literally since the time I could walk, I can honestly say that I have never observed this type of behavior from a dog. They do not typically "stalk" prey in this way - usually there would either be some sort of confrontation (or warning) OR the dog would just spot and then charge its target with no hesitation. But creeping around a corner like that and then grabbing the kid in such a calculated manner is just SO atypical of a domesticated dog attack.

I'm friends with a lot of other experienced dog people, and none of us are talking about the cat - we all acknowledge that any species will defend what is important to it. The dog's behavior is what has us talking - everyone agrees that even with all the problem dogs they've worked with, they've never observed behavior quite like that.
My first thought was that the dog has been tormented and teased by that child or other children that size........and when he had the opportunity to fight back......he took it.

When I was 6 years old, a neighbor's pony ran across the coral and bit my arm as I was standing in the feed trough.

I had always been nothing but kind to that pony......but the 6 year old who "owned" it and his cousin were constantly tormenting that poor pony.....smacking it with sticks and throwing stones at it.

I was collateral damage. That pony saw me as one of his enemies because I was a small human type just like them.

Even at that young age, I never blamed the pony......I blamed his tormentors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,647,655 times
Reputation: 7449
Cats seem to get a bad rap. It seems that you either like them, or hate them. I grew up with cats, so I'm rather fond of them, and currently own 2. I like dogs too. At any rate, never underestimate the toughness of a cat. They can when it comes down to it, get downright nasty, and can handle their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 12:31 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 19,542,474 times
Reputation: 6764
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How is this political or otherwise controversial?
It's neither, which is why it is appropriate for this forum have you read the sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Tara did not want to be held that long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My first thought was that the dog has been tormented and teased by that child or other children that size........and when he had the opportunity to fight back......he took it.

When I was 6 years old, a neighbor's pony ran across the coral and bit my arm as I was standing in the feed trough.

I had always been nothing but kind to that pony......but the 6 year old who "owned" it and his cousin were constantly tormenting that poor pony.....smacking it with sticks and throwing stones at it.

I was collateral damage. That pony saw me as one of his enemies because I was a small human type just like them.

Even at that young age, I never blamed the pony......I blamed his tormentors.
Some kids really do need to be beaten. When they understand pain, they will be less likely to inflict it on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,608,357 times
Reputation: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's neither, which is why it is appropriate for this forum have you read the sticky?

Tara did not want to be held that long!

Some kids really do need to be beaten. When they understand pain, they will be less likely to inflict it on others.
Interesting

First you tell me this thread is "inappropriate" for P&OC?

And then just two sentences later ... you are discussing a "controversial" topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,813,352 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
This story is incredible !!!

A 4 year old boy was viciously attacked by a huge neighborhood dog, and the family cat came to the rescue and attacked the dog and chased it away.

The entire video of the dog attack was captured on the home's security cameras.

Click on the picture in the below article to watch the video.

Cat who saved boy from vicious dog attack 'is my hero'*-*Los Angeles Times

The video shows the injuries the boy suffered, so be prepared for seeing these wounds.

This video is so amazing it has gone viral!

The cat is absolutely a HERO!
Where do I get one of those? Any cat I've ever owned would have watched me being torn to shreds by the dog, and then would have called dibs on the liver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 02:21 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
7,185 posts, read 7,520,266 times
Reputation: 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Jerry Brown.

The Cat will be running for Governor of California in the next election.
I'm surprised nobody's has blamed Obama yet!
He's already been blamed for the San Diego wild fires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: NoVa
2,039 posts, read 2,780,510 times
Reputation: 2785
This thread is hilarious! Some of the responses were simply too funny!! Thanks for the laugh, guys! it's a good way to start my weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 03:02 PM
 
62 posts, read 90,030 times
Reputation: 71
I loved that story besides watching 'Tara' (cat) take charge of protecting the 4 year old, Animals Love their owners as much as their owners love them, his parents were stating that Tara adopted the little boy's mom even though she was allergic she fell in love with Tara, the dad said, that when their son was born Tara would climb in the crib and lie next to their son and be sleeping, they would remove her out of fear she may smother him, or hurt him, but Tara has always slept by their son's side even at the age of 4. Female felines are more dominant than their male counter parts, but it was alarming to see this unleashed dog running rapidly, but then viciously bite into the little guy's leg, and would have did much more damage if not for Tara running and sidelining into the dog, "Like Dude, You have lost Your mind, I will take you out about my Buddy!" Then waiting for his mom to rush to him and Tara going after him again...as if saying, "Dude....Keep it moving or you are going to get hurt...Seriously!" But, this goes to show you why there are laws about dogs being kept on leashes, because they can become unpredictable, if not for Tara that dog could have did far worse damage to the little 4 year old!! "Kudos to Tara".....As her little buddy said, "Tara is My Hero!".....Great topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 03:07 PM
 
62 posts, read 90,030 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
This story is incredible !!!

A 4 year old boy was viciously attacked by a huge neighborhood dog, and the family cat came to the rescue and attacked the dog and chased it away.

The entire video of the dog attack was captured on the home's security cameras.

Click on the picture in the below article to watch the video.

Cat who saved boy from vicious dog attack 'is my hero'*-*Los Angeles Times

The video shows the injuries the boy suffered, so be prepared for seeing these wounds.

This video is so amazing it has gone viral!

The cat is absolutely a HERO!
Awesome story and very inspiring!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 03:37 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 19,542,474 times
Reputation: 6764
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Interesting

First you tell me this thread is "inappropriate" for P&OC?

And then just two sentences later ... you are discussing a "controversial" topic?
Unless you have two handles, which is a TOS violation, I didn't tell you anything. I didn't say it was inappropriate. And finally, while my response may be controversial, the thread topic is not.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you post.

indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top